SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lane departure and backup warnings
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lane departure and backup warnings Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

She probably isn’t using her turn signal.
Do you get a warning if you do signal a turn and there is a vehicle in your blind spot in the lane that you're moving into?

Our 2015 Subaru Outback does not have eyesight, it was the first year for that option and I did not want to be a guinea pig, but it does have the lane assist warning.

Basically there are spots in both the drivers and passengers door mirrors that flash yellow when there is a car in your blindspot. The flashing increases if you get closer to the vehicle.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Butt buzzers, cameras...makes me wonder how my Dad drove so well one handed...the other one swatting the offending brat in the back seat.

Seriously. Engage mentally and physically in the joy of actually driving a vehicle. It can be done.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have been operating motorcycles, cars, and large trucks for sixty years, including in foreign countries, without an accident. I don't need or want a windshield that costs thousands of dollars to replace and needs calibration because of a rock chip.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
buddy claims that riding with his wife scares him a lot,
but he can't help her because they get in too it and tempers rise.

since they got their subaru with all the warnings,
he just sets back and smiles

he wishes that the car would record all of the mistakes, so he can review her driving , when he is not with her

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
buddy claims that riding with his wife scares him a lot,
but he can't help her because they get in too it and tempers rise.

since they got their subaru with all the warnings,
he just sets back and smiles

he wishes that the car would record all of the mistakes, so he can review her driving , when he is not with her

dash cam and leave the mic on so he can hear of others are blowing their horns at her

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Guys, its cuz Karen was tired of her lil johnny getting her minivan scratched because he just had to answer this text message right now. It wasn't lil johnny fault, the car should have warned him it was not being driven correctly. It's the cars fault. I swear when I buy my new truck, the first words will be, get rid of the auto headlights, and get rid of the lane departure. If not, tell me which wires and I'll cut them myself.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
tell me which wires and I'll cut them myself.

This, in spades, regarding stinkin' daytime running lights. If my next vehicle has them, I WILL defeat them, one way or another.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer the above, I believe the lane departure has a aural warning and a flashing icon/device on the front panel center. Blind spot detection is a flashing icon on your rear view mirror, no sound. Backing up, the cross lane blind spot stuff makes a bunch of noise.

So, I believe you wouldn't get any sound alerts but the blind spot detector would flash. I think. I have to go drive to verify though. lol

The point the above actually makes is that this tech is pretty freaking seamless. I appreciate the old dad jokes but the reality is you aren't driving in the same conditions as your dad. I grew up in Northern California and when I visit now I am amazed at the traffic. At all times of day and this is with roads that have been expanded to many times their original size/configuration. This tech, done well (subaru not toyota at least 2014 toyota) is practically invisible until it is helpful.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There are a few 'new' things that I think are useful. Backup camera for one.

But I hate most of the 'safety' features that are in cars now. Especially if they are driving up costs.

Don't need and don't want most of. Some of it very annoying even when it's just doing it's job (ie - the lane dep warnings). I disable everything as much as possible.

And I don't want my wife depending on things like the blind spot monitor / rear collision alert over visually checking. It's fine not to change lanes when the BSM light is on. But it doesn't mean it's okay to change when the BSM light is off. What if the sensor is broken? Or the light is broken? Or there an issue is coming acutely. Or for whatever reason, you changed lanes when a visual inspection would have indicated that you not.

If people just focus on driving safely instead of dicking around with stuff they shouldn't be while driving, we wouldn't need these gadgets that create false senses of safety.

I especially don't like any feature that supersedes my control over the car. Like collision avoidance and system initiated braking.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post