SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lane departure and backup warnings
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lane departure and backup warnings Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
The very first time I backed my new truck into the driveway my head had quickly greeted the headrest and my truck was stopped in the middle of the street. Stupid auto backup braking was disabled 5 minutes later.

Did it malfunction, or did a legitimate obstacle (somebody walking behind you, for example) set it off?

My driveway is by no means level but it not anything I would call a grade. I think it is overly sensitive.

I have heard people complain about having steep driveways and the vehicle thinking the slope is an obstacle.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mind a simple warning, a light or chime. They are sometimes useful, for example when backing a large vehicle in a tight space. But I have had occasion in recent weeks to drive a 2016 Suburban and a 2018 Escalade, and I do mind the "ass buzzer" they put in the seats. The system doesn't know the difference between unintentional and intentional lane departure. Want to dodge an object in the road and momentarily cross over the line? BZZT! in your ass. Want to purposely change lanes without signaling (signaling overrides it, but there is no real need to signal when the nearest car is several hundred yards ahead of or behind you)? BZZZTTT! Roll Eyes If this was my ride, that ass buzzer would be getting unhooked if I couldn't program it out. (Probably a moot point as Suburbans and Escalades are way out of my financial reach.)

your going to see a lot of soccer moms riding the line Big Grin

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purposely ordered my 2017 Subaru Outback without the Eyesight system. After over 60 years of driving without an accident, I figure I've gotten pretty good at driving without any outside help. Now, if I want to buy a new Subaru, I have no choice. Eyesight is standard on all new Subarus and the word is starting in 2020, they will also have that start/stop crap on them. People say "oh but you can turn them off". Really? Permanently or every time time I get in the damned car? And what happens when the things begin to malfunction. You're doing 70 in a line of cars and the thing decides to slam on the brakes. As my father used to say, just something else to go wrong.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’m okay with the butt-buzzer in my 2018 GMC Yukon Denali.

I like it most for the rear cross-path detection when backing out of a parking spot — it buzzes either your left or right ass cheek, depending on which direction the other car is coming from.

And that’s helpful.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to disagree. I was going to buy my Subaru without Eyesight because of all the above. The salesman asked if I would take one more ride in a car with the option and let him try to show it to me. I liked the guy and I said sure. I too have never driven into an accident and have a clean driving record. The Eyesight system is fantastic. If you use cruise control much it makes driving in traffic much less fatiguing. Blind spot detection is a nice backup. It is very low key and I certainly wouldn’t disable it. It is like a second set of eyes. It only has to stop me one time to pay for itself.

Now my wife’s Toyota has a similar system and it stinks. Very abrupt, very invasive. I suspect each year they will get better and better.

As for lane departure I would suggest staying in your lane or using your turn signals. Either of those will keep it from chirping at you. Don’t know anything about a butt buzzer.

Try a modern system and take a long drive and I would be surprised if you couldn’t see the advantage in fatigue alone.

And like the gentleman above stated, in parking lot situations it is fantastic. Pulling out of a spot with big trucks on either side makes you effectively blind. The car tells you a car is coming before you can see it. I have to say if you find fault with that I think you are being stubborn to the point of idiocy.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
What I would like to see is a lane departure system that does NOT allow you to change lanes unless you use your turn signal.

The only exception would be if it detects an imminent crash.

Wouldn't that be great, and heck while we are at it, the system automatically reports to the police if you change lanes, make a right/left turn, without an attempt to use your turn signal, and you get a ticket every time.

Said with sarcasm but at the same time some hopefulness about using turn signals.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I like it most for the rear cross-path detection when backing out of a parking spot....

And that’s helpful.

I prefer using my windshield! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like dinosaurs. I bet you hate Kuerigs and drive through donut shops too. lol

These systems used in lieu of proper driving vigilance is stupid and reckless. Used in addition to those and they can be a blessing.

As for using your windshield I can't tell if you are being funny or misunderstand. The detection system warns you of approaching cars before you can see them. It literally is over the horizon type stuff. All the mirrors, windshields and craning your neck wont let you see THROUGH a panel van parked next to you. It will see a vehicle well before you possibly could. I get some of you guy's points, but seeing a threat earlier than your eyeballs can is a good thing. There is no scenario where that is detrimental. None. Unless you are in Jurassic Park and the signal goes off and attracts the T Rex. Unlikely though. lol

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The lane departure and backup warning systems of my 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited are wonderful. The lane departure warning sounds only if I’m not signaling a a lane change in that direction. The backup warning sounds for vehicles and pedestrians – and has never signaled a false warning. I’ll not buy another car without those features. Same with its wonderfully reliable vehicle-in-blind-spot warning.

I really like its smart cruise control too. It slows my car if I’m too close to the car ahead, then resumes speed if that car ahead speeds up, or moves to a different lane. I can easily select the following distance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It buzzes each individual butt cheek? I gotta have that!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
We have a friend who's new subaru has had the glass replaced once and chipped and cracked a second time.

She was told (no idea how much truth) that the new glass is very thin and more likely to crack/etc. because it was designed to allow the cameras and such to work well.

Kinda makes sense. I would also assume that newer glass would be thinner in order to shave weight off the car (for EPA gas mileage crap).

I really dread trying to find used cars 10 years from now - they will all have electronics that either don't work or have to be fixed at some high dollar amount...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about that though is that you can still drive just fine if all that stuff is "offline".

Thinner glass? Maybe, but I suspect if that is the case it is thinner regardless of cameras or whatnot. They are all thinner or they aren't would be my guess.

The Subaru guys all think the very blunt angle of the Forester windshield relative to the horizontal plane causes it to crack more often than normal when hit.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You guys sound like dinosaurs. I bet you hate Kuerigs and drive through donut shops too. lol

These systems used in lieu of proper driving vigilance is stupid and reckless. Used in addition to those and they can be a blessing.

As for using your windshield I can't tell if you are being funny or misunderstand. The detection system warns you of approaching cars before you can see them. It literally is over the horizon type stuff. All the mirrors, windshields and craning your neck wont let you see THROUGH a panel van parked next to you. It will see a vehicle well before you possibly could. I get some of you guy's points, but seeing a threat earlier than your eyeballs can is a good thing. There is no scenario where that is detrimental. None. Unless you are in Jurassic Park and the signal goes off and attracts the T Rex. Unlikely though. lol

Dinosaurs? LMAO.

I’ve spent a heap of time in advanced driving training (and riding motorcycles). Mostly road courses but also panic stops, collision avoidance, etc, cone work, name it.
Heaps better than Hal 9000.

Honda’s system is braking when drivers don’t want it to. A safety nanny that is just as likely to get you into an accident.

ADAS is in its’ infancy. No thanks. I’ll keep doing advanced driver training and leave the nannies to you. I prefer to control all driving functions. When ADAS is at maturation then ok.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I spent a LOT of time and energy chasing programming "mistakes" when carrying a tool bag for IBM. I cannot even imagine the programming requirements to run all that computerized crap they are putting on/in cars now days.

Makes me want to return to my 1929 Ford pickup.

Wife just bought a new car to replace her 2000 Buick. Bought a Hyundai, but it does not have all those bells and whistles, at least as far as I know.

To the original topic of lane departures, etc.

Around here I estimate that at least half of the drivers are totally unaware of that little lever on the left side of the steering column! Or that those road signs that say "Speed limit 55" are NOT FUCKING MINIMUMS!

Saw 3 cars go into panic braking mode yesterday when some asshole decided he/she wanted to merge left. No space, but. . . . did it anyway.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
What I would like to see is a lane departure system that does NOT allow you to change lanes unless you use your turn signal.

No way in hell. If you need to dodge an object in your lane (a ladder falling off a truck, for example), you don't always have time to signal first.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

No way in hell. If you need to dodge an object in your lane (a ladder falling off a truck, for example), you don't always have time to signal first.

The next sentence listed the only exception...

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with these devices, but our daughter just got a new car with these lights, buzzers, and vibrating seat or steering wheel. Her complaint is that on a 3 or 4 lane divided highway it will warn you when you’re merging, even if a car on the highway has courteously moved over a lane to let her in. She said it made her kind of nervous to have these warnings going off when she doesn’t see a threat; it makes her feel like she missed something.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She probably isn’t using her turn signal. Most cars disable that feature with a turn signal. If it’s beeping because a car is two lanes over it is defective.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

She probably isn’t using her turn signal.
Do you get a warning if you do signal a turn and there is a vehicle in your blind spot in the lane that you're moving into?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

She probably isn’t using her turn signal.
Do you get a warning if you do signal a turn and there is a vehicle in your blind spot in the lane that you're moving into?
Yes, you likely don't get the lane assist warning but you'd get the vehicle in blind spot warning.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post