SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lane departure and backup warnings
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lane departure and backup warnings Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
I don't mind a simple warning, a light or chime. They are sometimes useful, for example when backing a large vehicle in a tight space. But I have had occasion in recent weeks to drive a 2016 Suburban and a 2018 Escalade, and I do mind the "ass buzzer" they put in the seats. The system doesn't know the difference between unintentional and intentional lane departure. Want to dodge an object in the road and momentarily cross over the line? BZZT! in your ass. Want to purposely change lanes without signaling (signaling overrides it, but there is no real need to signal when the nearest car is several hundred yards ahead of or behind you)? BZZZTTT! Roll Eyes If this was my ride, that ass buzzer would be getting unhooked if I couldn't program it out. (Probably a moot point as Suburbans and Escalades are way out of my financial reach.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My wife's CR-V has all of that. You can easily turn it all off if you want.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. I have a 2016 Honda Accord with Honda Sensing and quickly got tired of the incessant buzzes, vibrations and warnings. I ended up turning it all off.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And somewhere, someplace, is a pre-vert driving over the centerline for the thrills...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife's CR-V has all of that.
Even the butt buzzer?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) will be on most every vehicle sold soon. Lane departure warning, lane keep assist, collision mitigation braking, adaptive cruise control, lane watch, and autopilot or some derivative of it. Insurance industry loved it at first. Their thinking was it would save the dipshits who drive their vehicle while surfing on their phones. But all those sensors, and cameras, cost big money. As an example, Subaru’s eyesight system.....you need your windshield replaced due to a rock chip, a crack, whatever, once the windshield is replaced you have to take it back to the stealer to have the ADAS camera/sensor recalibrated and pay them for the privilege. The bad thing is it’s going to be more and more difficult to purchase a new vehicle without it on there. Oh, back to the insurance companies. They are none to pleased about replacing all the sensors and/or cameras in a repair. It’s much more costly to repair. I’m ok with this sort of thing for people who don’t have good motor skills but it’s becoming an excuse for idiots to drive a 3000+ lb vehicle down the road while they are scrolling or reading their phone. I purposely avoided it on my vehicles and I have one left to buy and can’t for a couple years and I hope the shit isn’t mandatory by then. The side effect of having an ADAS equipped vehicle is you are stuck with the radio/head unit for the life of the vehicle. Phones and phone integration change every other year. I like to be able to update my head unit as I keep vehicles a long time. Outside of warranty an OEM headunit can be $3500. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine make them for $500. But ADAS is tied to the headunit so if it’s on the vehicle, you’re stuck with it. Automobile mfr’s are doing their best to make their products as obsolete as a PC after a few years. A PC is a grand. A vehicle can be 30, 40, 60k.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rented a Toyotie Corolla recently. Solid little car!
Problem: It was loaded all kinds of the aforementioned sensors and warning systems. All mounted in various locations around the front of the car. I know Toyota engineers will be shocked to learn this, but it snows in the Yoop. Which clogged or blocked all the stupid sensors. The resulting warnings, buzzers, lights and dash messages made me think an ejection seat would soon activate to launch me from the self destructing car. And of course the rental car folks did not leave the owners manual in the car so I could shut all this crap off!
Thanks, Toyota!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
My wife's CR-V has all of that.
Even the butt buzzer?

Not the butt buzzer but she would probably like it. Big Grin

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Corolla only alerts for lane departure if you don't signal for a lane change. There are controls to turn it all off, one piece at a time.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
My Corolla only alerts for lane departure if you don't signal for a lane change. There are controls to turn it all off, one piece at a time.

Same for our ML350.

Cool thing about it is instead of an ass buzzer, the wheel actually shakes just a little, at about the same frequency as when you hit those rumble strips on side of road. It even feels like you can tell from which side, which is honestly pretty cool.

I just use signals 98% of the time, not a problem.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Why did these come about?

Two guesses.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The very first time I backed my new truck into the driveway my head had quickly greeted the headrest and my truck was stopped in the middle of the street. Stupid auto backup braking was disabled 5 minutes later.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
The very first time I backed my new truck into the driveway my head had quickly greeted the headrest and my truck was stopped in the middle of the street. Stupid auto backup braking was disabled 5 minutes later.

Did it malfunction, or did a legitimate obstacle (somebody walking behind you, for example) set it off?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My back up alarm is so sensitive that it'll pick up a single piece of gravel on pavement. Mad
It irritates the hell out of me.

Just last week though, I was backing out of my buddies driveway and it failed to alert me when I backed into his well pipe. Total cost to replace my rear bumper? $700.

Dammit! Mad

Can I depend on it or not?

Not.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There are the repair costs if a sensor or camera goes bad. I billed 2.5 hours recently to take the rear bumper off a Buick Enclave and locate and replace one of the four backup/park assist sensors. This car also had a very effective backup camera, so those sensors seem superfluous.

I do dig backup cameras, but there would be less need for them if you could see out the back in the first place. My own car could use one. It has a high "bustle"-like rear trunk lid and "turned-in" rear corners, so you back up essentially blind. The previous generation (to the current one) Nissan Rogue is terrible.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My back up alarm is so sensitive that it'll pick up a single piece of gravel on pavement. Mad

Just last week though, I was backing out of my buddies driveway and it failed to alert me when I backed into his well pipe. Total cost to replace my rear bumper? $700.

Dammit! Mad

Not.

Is it just an alarm or camera? If a camera...you do need to look at them. Razz

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Dammit! Mad

Not.

Is it just an alarm or camera? If a camera...you do need to look at them. Razz

Big Grin

Both actually, but the sun was shining directly in from behind and I couldn't see out of the camera.

Totally my fault, but still ticked me off.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I actually really like the blind spot detection systems. They are making mirrors so small and oddly shaped on a lot of vehicles nowadays that it’s difficult to get the view that I like out of the mirrors. The blind spot detection really does serve an excellent purpose and I don’t think I would buy a vehicle without that feature nowadays. The rest of the stuff, aside from the backup cameras of course, I could take them or leave them.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

it’s difficult to get the view that I like out of the mirrors.
Something else to keep in mind, it's very difficult to see vampires in the mirrors.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
he system doesn't know the difference between unintentional and intentional lane departure. Want to dodge an object in the road and momentarily cross over the line? BZZT! in your ass. Want to purposely change lanes without signaling (signaling overrides it, but there is no real need to signal when the nearest car is several hundred yards ahead of or behind you)? BZZZTTT!

So yer saying we'll see an increase in unsignaled lane changes by wimmens....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post