SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks, thanks a lot...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks, thanks a lot... Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
As my mom would say... (about as close to cussing as I ever herd her come)

You sorry so and so.

Some one knocked over my new mailbox, didn't stop of course.

Thankfully, I built the base freestanding. I filled a milk can with 240 lbs of concrete and 20 feet of rebar, leaving a 4 inch hole in the center to fit a 4x4 post that just drops in.

Just had to set it back up, only damage was one of the two dollar store American flags I had stuck on it.

Some asshole owes me $1.00

Deplorable before deplorable was cool!

Posts: 974 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen about 2 months ago, but some hit my 4x4 post so hard it snapped it in half. The only recourse I have is to hope they suffered some car damage.

Posts: 3455 | Location: Treasure Coast | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smart idea.
The snow plows here traveling about 60mph used to smash my mailboxes every year.
I bought one of those hard plastic ones and mounted a 6x6 post into the ground. Then a truck hit it. It shaved off the post and knocked the plastic bumper off the truck. So, I replaced that with a 4x4 post and another hard plastic box.
I should have done one like yours.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, if have a mailbox you must build a snowplow shield.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4668 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live on a street with a sharp bend in it.After this one mail box was knock down 3-4 times the guy put in a 4 in steel girder beam. Now every once in awhile I see car parts around his mail box.

Posts: 409 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
when I was growing up my grandma was a high school teacher/dean...they used to smash it right regularly...

my dad was a well driller at the time....he made her a mailbox with an outer layer of well casing pipe that he heated and welded it so a normal box would fit inside and he made the post out of four by four steel box tubing...sprayed it all in black gloss.....it only got dinged once!! hahahaha

"because skittles." Swain0351

Posts: 4281 | Location: 35-46.02N 077-55.54W | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
when I was growing up my grandma was a high school teacher/dean...they used to smash it right regularly...

my dad was a well driller at the time....he made her a mailbox with an outer layer of well casing pipe that he heated and welded it so a normal box would fit inside and he made the post out of four by four steel box tubing...sprayed it all in black gloss.....it only got dinged once!! hahahaha

I never understood the attraction of destroying other peoples property, but had friends that partook of mailbox smashing in high school... that is until one broke his bat, and nearly his arm, after hitting a home-brew reinforced box.

Deplorable before deplorable was cool!

Posts: 974 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the distant past, lane dividers sometimes were rubber tubes anchored to the pavement, standing about 3 feet high, usually in rows as long as the lane they were designed to divide. They made a hell of a racket if they were situated near your college dormitory and run over at night by a typical 1960's car or pickup truck. Woke the whole dorm.

It became different one night in mid-January when all the tubes were filled with water late one afternoon. Oh, by the way, did I mention this happened in Minnesota? Minus 25 on the thermometer. About the fourth or fifth lane divider killed the car, took out about everything going back about a foot from the front bumper.

Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

Posts: 6332 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post