SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ring Doorbell Customer NO-Support. UPDATE In Original Post. Problems Solved.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring Doorbell Customer NO-Support. UPDATE In Original Post. Problems Solved. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
UPDATE: Finally got it up an running.

For the record, every gripe that I had -- every single one -- would have been solved if there had been reasonable documentation / manual in the box. As it is, there was a very brief, single sheet of paper, with no answers to any of my questions. The online "manual" was no use at all. Once I was finally able to chat with a rep (who acknowledged that documentation is, in fact, a weak point), questions were answered and we are up and running.

Whatever happened to the days when there was a real user manual enclosed with tech stuff, software, etc.?
Wife wanted one of these, so I picked one up at the local Ace Hardware store. Figured I would install it today.

Enclosed is a small, abbreviated, installation guide that says the manual can be downloaded from the website.

Downloaded the manual, the illustration is NOTHING like our unit! Manual shows a removable battery with USB charging port on the bottom. Our unit does not appear to have removable battery, charging port is on rear of unit, not bottom.

Directions say download the app. Did so, first thing that pops up is a question: "Do you want the application 'Ring.app' to accept incoming network connections?" Of course, there is absolutely NO mention of this in the manual. None. What. So. Ever. Nothing. Nada. Rien. Bupkis. Zero. Zilch.

Support page of website says: "Call Us US:+1(800) 656-1918 (24/7)." I am hearing impaired, I use the Relay Service for phone calls. Relay operator informed me that there was a recording, "Ring Community Support" and Ring's end promptly disconnected immediately after playing the recording. Relay operator tried a couple more times, same result. So much for "24 / 7" support availability.

I'm now going through the double-jointed exercise of kicking myself in the ass for spending $$$ on this piece of shit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Huh. I've had nothing but good luck with them (customer support).

In fact, just the other day I called to see if I could upgrade to the 1080P model (I have the base unit) without having to buy the thing new. I was hoping they could do a trade in of some type to save me a few bucks. The CO rep pulled up my account and said, "Sure. We'll send one right out to you. Just return your old one in the included packaging." Only cost me $20 to upgrade.

He even closed it out with a "Merry Christmas."

Sorry you're having trouble. Hopefully you can get it squared away.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, V-Tail. Sorry to hear you're having problems, but everything else I've read of the product and the company has been positive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
just the other day I called
You were actually able to reach somebody? All we got was a disconnect after the recorded announcement that said "Ring Community Support." This, on the allegedly 24 / 7 / 365 help line. Nope, should not be closed for the holiday, person on the chat facility said that support is supposed to be available continuously, not closed for Christmas. She said she will have them check it out, see what's wrong with their phone system.

She was able to answer a couple questions about setup, so we'll see where this goes.

I'll update, with a rant retraction if warranted. Just aggravated about less than complete manual and inability to get clarification from the phone support. Might just be a temporary glitch on their phone system, I'll keep an open mind.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I have had the Bell 2 and chime pro. First issue was during set up. Called CS. Took me thru the upgrade of Firmware. CS was excellent, problem fixed. Had a few questions later on. Called CS. Excellent CS. So far it's been great!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Update: Finally got it set up. Documentation really, REALLY, sucks!

Q: Where is it written that you can not set up a Ring device using the Ring app on your computer?

A: Nowhere. This is not to be found in the customer documentation. Turns out that the device must be set up, initially, on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) or an Android device. Once set up, the device can be used with the Ring app on a computer. Wouldn't it be nice if this were in the user documentation?
Q: Where is the correct response specified, to the OS X question that comes up the first time the ring app is accessed on a Mac, re permission to accept incoming network connections?

A: Nowhere. This question is not addressed. Wouldn't it be nice if this were in the user documentation?
OK, we now have basic function. B&W only. Will see, tomorrow during daylight, if we function in living color. There does not seem to be any user selectable option for color vs. B&W.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, it's been quite some time since I originally set mine up using the iPhone and installed on my macbook but I'll share with you any of my experiences I can, as well as many others here that also have them. I know that mine will only record using the night vision in B&W and automatically switches over to color during daylight activations.

If you have additional questions ask, I'm sure collectively from users here we may be able to answer them from experience with their different products. I've heard from my wife the voice activation coming from the doorbell is very clear and easy to understand, I've used it to answer for deliveries and the Water Department workers both here at home and away on the road somewhere, it works like a charm, and extremely convenient. Good luck with yours, I'm thinking about the stick up cam next. I use the Ring chime also, I set it up in the kitchen, also works great too!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I can sympathize with V-Tail. My Dad was totally deaf from 1975 until his death in 2001. He originally got a TTY from the deaf services people, and it was an original news type teletype machine, took up half of his dining room. As time passed, the technology advanced and digital TTY's became available. But I've had experience dealing with the mandated "relay" services, and they suck. It got better when I could dial him direct.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can empathize. I can put things together when given explicit written instructions with pictures detailing the parts. Technical writers as a rule are horrible. I would gladly pay more to have manuals written clearly.

The company is either too lazy, or they assume that all of us are technical wizards with high level mechanical skills. You tube has helped me on some of this stuff.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'm thinking about the stick up cam next.

They no longer make the stick up cams. Only the floodlight cams.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'm thinking about the stick up cam next.

They no longer make the stick up cams. Only the floodlight cams.

Yea, you're correct. This is the one I was referring to..the Spotlight cam..I need a battery powered cam to place it where needed. Thank you for the correction!
Spotlight Cam

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Whatever happened to the days when there was a real user manual enclosed with tech stuff, software, etc.?

I think between the translation services that companies use and the reading ability of people, they realized manuals are a lost cause. Manuals are just an added expense for them.

I like manuals. I have also prefered to get the downloadable pdf manuals. It's easy to misplace a real manual.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have also prefered to get the downloadable pdf manuals.
I used to prefer printed manuals. Still do, for many things.

PDF would be acceptable, but the PDF "manual" for the Ring Doorbell is nothing but an online copy of the single sheet that came with the doorbell. No added information. Not one word. So, this did not help me at all with my questions.

For example: The method for linking the doorbell to a wifi network is via the Ring app. Well, there is an app for the computer, as well as an app for iThings and Android things.

The so-called "manual" states that initial setup is done from the app. I beat my head against the wall, trying to accomplish this through the computer app. Nope. Initial setup MUST be done through the iThing or Android app. Nowhere does the manual state that the app that it is referring to for initial setup can not be the computer app. I went around and around with this for more than an hour. Finally reached somebody in their allegedly 24 / 7 / 365 support group, who shed some light on this, only after I sent a screen shot and they realized I was trying to work with the computer app.

They did acknowledge that the documentation is lacking in detail and needs some work.

In any event, I now understand what's going on, the doorbell seems to be doing what it should be doing, and other than the aggravation, everything seems to be fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks to V-Tails post, when I received my Ring Doorbell 2, it was a straight forward setup. I don’t have it mounted so I’m not having much luck with the motion alert settings, primary use, but the door bell functions well and those alerts and camera work. I’ve got it set not to allow two way voice transmission.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A feature that would be nice, (it might exist, but with the lack of user documentation, who knows?) would be the ability to set a time schedule for motion alerts.

That is, there are certain times of day that activity at the front door is expected. I would like to set the Ring doorbell so that it does not report activity, for example, between 7:45 am and 8:15 am on specified days of the week. Yes, I know that I can do this manually, but I would like the ability to "set it and forget it."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A feature that would be nice, (it might exist, but with the lack of user documentation, who knows?) would be the ability to set a time schedule for motion alerts.

That is, there are certain times of day that activity at the front door is expected. I would like to set the Ring doorbell so that it does not report activity, for example, between 7:45 am and 8:15 am on specified days of the week. Yes, I know that I can do this manually, but I would like the ability to "set it and forget it."

Mine definitely has the ability to have 'active hours' via multiple rules. Can be done via the mobile app, not sure if it can be done elsewhere/otherwise.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post