SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trouble getting a haircut
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble getting a haircut Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Allow me to vent. Where I work we have grooming standards. In the past there was a coworker that would give me a haircut, a skill he picked up in the USMC, for $5. Well he transferred to another duty station a couple of years ago and it has been a struggle to get a haircut ever since.

I live in a small town, but it isn't small enough that I should be having this much trouble. I don't even care about the cost. I'll gladly give $15 for a haircut and tip another $5, but I'll be damned if I'm going to make an appointment to get a 10 minute haircut!

And what really pisses me off is that I tried to go in on Thursday to get a cut at 2pm. Both places that accept walk-ins were closed even though BOTH should have been open according to their hours. I tried again today and one place is closed and the other wouldn't let me walk-in because she was booked all day with appointments.

It's just frustrating. It's like this every time I try and get my hair cut. So I'm flying out in the morning for training and will be attempting to get a haircut at an XpreSpa in the MSP airport. It says no appointment necessary. We'll see, and it will probably cost me $30.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having to make an appointment is probably the one thing I hate most about what should be a simple chore to complete. I miss my last barber. Only did walk ins and no appointments.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There's a little local old-timey barber shop not far from my house. Walk-ins only, no appointments. Open every day except Sunday. I usually don't have to wait at all, but when I do, it's generally less than 15 minutes.

I'm not sure what the regular price is, but those of us who hold official Geezer cards pay twelve bucks Monday through Friday. I just give him $15. I asked for a discount because I don't have that much hair left. Nope.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just do like I do: when it gets too long, shave it. Repeat as needed. No hair is a legitimate hair style.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a business opportunity.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I sleep with my barber. Big Grin

A while back her hairdresser showed her how to cut my hair (not much to cut). Haircuts anytime!

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Barber shops are great. I remember when I a kid, dad would take me and my 2 brothers to the barber shop on Saturday morning. It probably took 2 hours for us to wait our turn, and get 4 haircuts. Just the thing every kid wants to do on Saturday.

I can remember hanging trash on the guys at work and their hair appointments, but I finally got past that, and I haven’t waited more than a few minutes for a haircut in the last 25 years, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I had a 5:00 appointment for years when I was working, and for the last 5 years, I have a standing appointment for the 3rd Wednesday every month at 8:30. I walk in, sit down, get a hair cut, and I’m gone in 20 minutes.

It’s not that my time is so valuable, I just don’t like to sit and wait.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
It’s not that my time is so valuable, I just don’t like to sit and wait.

Think of all the skanky magazines you don't get to read! Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've been going to the same barber shop for so long, the barber retired & his son cuts my hair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I've been going to the same barber shop for so long, the barber retired & his son cuts my hair.

I go to an old-time barber shop too. The barbers are permanent fixtures, rather than the cute little chicks that are gone in six months.

The barber that owned the shop when I first started going there retired and sold it to another barber. That guy is now retired too, and his barber daughter now owns the shop and cuts my hair. She accepts appointments, but I seldom bother to make one.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a fat girl with lots of ink who does a great job. She charges 15 bucks and I give her 20, once a month or so. I have to go get a short one soon, the helmet is getting tight and it's hot.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
One barber shop in Jerkwater. With one barber in it. She opens whenever she damn well pleases and charges $18 for a haircut.

I bought a cordless hair clipper and a mirror for less than the cost of two haircuts, already had a mixing bowl.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the short time i lived in Lander WY I could not find a decent place to get a haircut.

I have had the same Korean lady cut my hair for over 14 years. A perfect high and tight every time. She is a perfectionist. So when I moved to NC it threw me into a panic.

I finally one guy that does a great job but his business is sky rocketing and hard to get in.
Especially since they are closed on Mondays.

The same with my dentist. I finally found a great office and gladly take an overnight trip back to VA to see them.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've been cutting my own hair for the past 7 years. I cut it once a week because I do not like long hair.

A pair of clippers for $40 has saved me a lot of money those years.

And I cut it whenever I please.

When I did go to the barber, it was somewhat of a pain to have to wait but they did a great job. Nothing like the atmosphere of an old time barbershop with the radio, small talk, smell, etc.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think of all the skanky magazines you don't get to read!

The place I frequented when in lived in Knoxville, had large oversize covers for their magaznines. On the outside it said TIME or NEWSWEEK, but the magazine inside was Penthouse. I wondered why all these guys seemed so interested in looking at the mags while they were waiting.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Sams !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Finding a good barber shop can be a pain in the ass. When I moved to this town, I was looking. I walked into a "homeboy" barber shop, and the music stopped playing, and everyone stared at the white boy. That was my clue to keep looking. (I dont have dreads that need braided and I don't care to talk about the NBA playoffs) Luckily, I found a place I really like.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I used to go to the Herndon barber shop when I was younger. The owners retired and the place turned a bit shady. After years of trying different shops, found the best shop ever. Trieu's barber shop in Merrifield. Trieu and his brother Vinny know how to cut a proper fade. The other barbers are also very good. I tip well, and it's deserved. Trieu cut my hair for free just before my wedding in April. If any of you guys find yourself in Merrifield/Fairfax, VA I highly recommend them. They know you by name and ask if you want the "same ol".

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Flowbee

I haven't paid for a haircut in nearly 20 years.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
We have a great old time barbershop about a mile from me. I went there for several years.

As time went on and hair went away, I switched to Headblade.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post