SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Really hate to do this, but may switch to Samsung phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really hate to do this, but may switch to Samsung phone Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet if you were using a four year old Android phone with 16Gb of storage, that had been through four OS upgrades, you would also find the experience lacking.

People accuse Apple of planned obsolescence, but somewhat ironically, it’s Apple’s extended support for older hardware that has put you here. Most Android phones get one upgrade before they’re abandoned. This would be the equivalent of your 6s running OS 10. Keep that in mind when contemplating changing.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
6S with 16GB running 13.4.1. But overlayed with enterprise crap to allow corporate email, calendar.

I think that suggests your problem. A phone with limited storage, and corporate crap, about which you don't know what all it takes, storage-wise.

It is not universally true that iPhones with more storage suffer the same problems. I have a 64GB phone. No apps offloaded, but also no tunes or iCloud photos. One app (GoodReader) keeps several documents, some pretty big, and I do have an "on-phone" picture app that stores all of my pics (the app is Photo Manager Pro). My total storage use is 12.6GB out of 64GB. System and Other are 9.9GB of that.

If you are going to buy another phone anyway, why not take a look at Apple refurbished (comes with the same warranty as a new phone). An XS model with 64GB of storage is $699 from Apple. You get a much more advanced phone and can restore your current settings and apps from a backup. BTW, an iTunes backup is invaluable, IMO. I would much rather backup and restore directly connected to my Mac, as opposed to sending and retrieving large backups to/from iCloud, where network glitches could occur.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other is "... caches, logs and other resources..." WTF do I need with 7GB of caches and logs? Whenever I delete something to make space, Other just grows. Like it's also inclusive of empty space.

That sounds like a trashcan sort of thing (moving stuff you're "deleting" into a hidden storage space so that it can be recovered when you realize you wiped out something you didn't mean to). I don't know if iOS does that or not, or if there's a way to turn it off if it does (or to flush it), but that's what it sounds like.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
6S with 16GB running 13.4.1. But overlayed with enterprise crap to allow corporate email, calendar.

You have a five-year-old phone, with minimal memory, laden with, as you say, "enterprise crap." If you do that with an Android phone you'll have the same problem.

My wife and I had iPhone 6S' with 16GB. Her's had the original battery. Mine had a new one. Both of us had no problem getting though two days, usually. I had a lot of apps. She had little. The only time either of us ran into memory problems was due to lots of photos. (We upgraded our 6S' to SE 2020's a couple months back or so.)

But, by all means, if you're sour on Apple, now, go ahead and switch to Android. But in five years you'll be back here, again, with the same complaints. (Except you probably wouldn't have received any OS updates for two-three years by that point.)

Btw: If your new-ish battery is already down to 93% capacity, you're beating the ever-loving-hell out of that battery. I replaced mine near the end of that $30 battery deal and it was still at 99% capacity when I traded it in. Have you looked to see what's causing that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I bought a 6s with 32 GB for 120 bucks. Works fine. Still have 11+ GB empty. I think your problem isn’t Apple it’s that you bought a phone with a tiny memory.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Android OS is gonna eat about the same as IOS IIRC (I am an IPhone guy) but Android clocks in about the same at around 5-6gb. Add it’s own logs, as well as the bloatware etc. many android phones come with I would imagine you would be in the very same boat hardware/memory to same.

Like was said no matter what phone you opt for buy the most storage you can get.

I don’t per say have a dog in the fight beyond I am an IPhone guy that has used android and prefer IOS. That said either will be a fine option. My only caution would be learning curve and quirks going from one to the other assuming you have been entrenched on one side of the other.

I have about 10-11 gigs used up on my phone between IOS and other service type stuff. So it doesn’t appear to scale up with size as my phone is 256gb. My 6 still works fine as well and had 128 gigs.

End of the day all the OS’s have gotten very large. Couple that with eleventy billion megapixel cameras and size gets eaten up quick.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Two years ago I bought a 6s with 32 GB for 120 bucks. Works fine. Still have 11+ GB empty. I think your problem isn’t Apple it’s that you bought a phone with a tiny memory.

Let's put it this way. Let's say OS and Other was taking up 21GB of your 32GB on your phone. Leaving you with 11GB to use. That's less then the 20GB you're currently using as your own app/data space.

Happy? You would be okay buying a 64GB phone in that case?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Let's put it this way. Let's say OS and Other was taking up 21GB of your 32GB on your phone. Leaving you with 11GB to use. That's less then the 20GB you're currently using as your own app/data space.

Happy? You would be okay buying a 64GB phone in that case?

Absolutely not happy but the reality is 16gb is simply not enough memory for todays modern phones. Not an Apple problem, not an Android problem an all of them problem.

Hence I never tell folks to buy the base memory configuration.

Again like has been said if you jump fence just be aware that the same problem exists on both sides and you may or may not find additional frustrations with Android. This is not a dig on Android I would say the same if you were jumping from Android to IOS.

At the end of the day you need more phone not a different ecosystem. IMO.

And yes, wholeheartedly yes the bloat sucks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’ll bet if you were using a four year old Android phone with 16Gb of storage, that had been through four OS upgrades, you would also find the experience lacking.

People accuse Apple of planned obsolescence, but somewhat ironically, it’s Apple’s extended support for older hardware that has put you here. Most Android phones get one upgrade before they’re abandoned. This would be the equivalent of your 6s running OS 10. Keep that in mind when contemplating changing.

This. App's are constantly upgrading and expanding. They need a newer/faster processor and more memory to work. It's not the OPs apple, it's just the age of the phone and an Android of that age would be doing the same thing. I've never had ANY Android go more than 2 years before dieing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I must say that this 11 Pro I now have is the best phone I’ve ever owned. I went from a 4,4s,SE,6s plus, to now an 11Pro. The 11P is simply amazing. It will run 3-4 days without a charge. It’s a wonderful phone. It may get way cheaper as the new release gets closer. Best thing about this 11Pro is that T-Mobile gave me a $500 credit on the 6sPlus towards this one. A four year old phone still warranted a $500 credit! You won’t be getting that much residual value out of whatever Android device you buy after four years of use.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Absolutely not happy but the reality is 16gb is simply not enough memory for todays modern phones. Not an Apple problem, not an Android problem an all of them problem.

Hence I never tell folks to buy the base memory configuration.

The base storage configuration for the current lineup of NEW iPhones is 64GB. I believe it was also 64GB base model storage on the prior generation iPhones, which mine is. I posted above my total usage on my 64GB Xs is 12.6GB (apps, system, other, caches, logs, everything). konata88, I believe you may be underestimating the impact of your "corporate crap". Even back when my iPhones' storage was 16GB, I never had any problem with not enough storage. Stuff was smaller then, apps and OS. A newer model phone with a fresh OS install should take care of your issues.

ETA, 64GB has been the iPhone's base storage size since the iPhone 8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You seem unwilling to digest what everyone is telling you. You bought a phone with minuscule memory. That is your problem. The droid users have backed up that droid will eat up a similar amount. Get a phone with more memory.

You aren’t describing an apple problem, you are describing a problem that you didn’t open your wallet far enough. Good news for you is you will have trouble finding a phone with 16gb of storage. If you do find it, droid or otherwise, walk away and buy at least one step more storage.

As for your example, I’m a bad test case. I use my phone as a phone. Occasionally to text. I don’t put a bunch of stuff on mine. If I need a computer or an iPad I use a computer or an iPad. I am telling you to buy enough memory that your phone works. If you put a lot of corporate stuff on it that number will be higher. I have 32gb phone with 11+ left. I will probably never use that extra 11+ knowingly. I have some music, photos, etc but not much. Buy more memory next time. It really is that simple. Happy has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 11Pro with 512 GB. Why? Because I have my entire music collection, bunch of movies, and tons of room for photos and video. Phones with base level memory are cheap for a reason - so you stream everything and use more expensive cellular data. I have a small data plan with rollover and I never hit the limit. Also, need to be able to access anything I need while on long intercontinental flights. You save more in the long run using less data and have more phone memory.

As for the "other" that can be a lot of things. Biggest memory waster are incomplete or corrupted app and OS downloads that are not cleared out, also media that is partially downloaded as well. Backup to computer, reinstall OS, restore should fix that. If I remember correctly, photos in text messages could show up as "other".

You might get a computer app that can clean out the bad files, and advise on where the memory is being used.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's put it this way. Let's say OS and Other was taking up 21GB of your 32GB on your phone. Leaving you with 11GB to use.

That argument is ludicrous--and that's putting it as nicely as I possibly can.

You have a five-year-old phone that was the minimal memory configuration at the time you bought it. Plus you've saddled it with, by your own words, a bunch of "enterprise crap," and you're expecting it to work as well as it did when it was out-of-the-box new?

Your expectations are unrealistic--regardless of the brand, model, or operating system.

And, again I'll note: My wife's and my phones were iPhone 6S' with 16GB of memory, exact same phone you have, and were still working fine, even with the latest iOS update. The only reason we traded them in for SE (2020)'s was we wanted some of the improvements and new features the newer models have.

quote:
You seem unwilling to digest what everyone is telling you.

Indeed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
thank you so much. just because you don’t see this issue must mean that i'm wrong. it’s very clear now. all the other people posting on support.apple, including those with new phones and tablets must be wrong as well. nothing to see here or there. apparently even 64gb is not enough. not even 128gb as far as i can tell.

so when apple recommends doing a backup, reset, restore for this, there is no issue here. only reason i don’t do this yet is because it sounds like a temporary fix.

geez. a guy can’t even gripe about what seems like a known issue that’s existed since at least 2017. and people still complaining this year. not really looking for a solution since apple seems quite on this.

but glad to clarify that the problem is me. silly me.

eta: sorry for the uncharacteristic sarcasm guys. i’m in a mood today.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody needs a good rant now and again. It’s soul cleansing. Lol

posted Hide Post
My brother has had two I- phone 11's and hated them both. One issue is feedback on speakerphone. I, on the other hand, have a Verizon Samsung 9-S and it's the worst Samsung I have ever had. I should have kept my Note 4. My issues entail the fact that the phone has a mind of its own. It is constantly changing the settings. I miss calls because it has decided to turn the ringer off. I go to take a photo and I'm looking at myself. It has switched to selfie. The other day, I could not get an internet connection. An investigation, which I really didn't have time for, revealed it was in Airplane Mode. About once a week, the screen photo refuses to rotate, so I have to go in and reset that and on and on. My point is Samsung may not be the answer. It seems that as technology progresses, the phones get worse.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What phone do you plan to get to replace your iPhone and why do you think it will alleviate your problem?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post