SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    To retire, or not to retire. That is the question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To retire, or not to retire. That is the question. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

...Gray area retirees are eligible for Tricare at a cost of 400 per month for single members and around a thousand a month if you have dependents. Once you hit 60 you're then eligible for Tricare for life but I'm not familiar with the rates.

I do not know anything about gray area and TriCare, but when I turned 60 I had a choice of basic TriCare (free) or TriCare Prime (about $125/month). At 65 TriCare became TriCare For Life (TFL, free), but I HAD to get MediCare Part B, around $130/mo. I'm five miles from an active duty clinic, I get all my meds there.

A gray area retiree is any reservist that retires but is not yet 60. Gray area retirees retain all their on base privileges such as PX, commissary, gym, lodging etc but they aren't eligible to draw retirement pay. They can fly space A but only within CONUS. Tricare is available to any reservist that reaches 20 years, retires but hasn't reached age 60.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Tricare is available to any reservist that reaches 20 years, retires but hasn't reached age 60.

I did not know that. I'm sure I was told (or read about it), but when I retired from the IL ANG at age 56 I was still working as a DoD civilian (at a totally different installation) with their health care benefits.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would retire in a second if I could, way too many fish to catch and not enough time to do it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...Tricare is available to any reservist that reaches 20 years, retires but hasn't reached age 60.

I did not know that. I'm sure I was told (or read about it), but when I retired from the IL ANG at age 56 I was still working as a DoD civilian (at a totally different installation) with their health care benefits.

I retired at age 55 and was on tricare for a short period of time and then canceled when my VA claim was approved. I don't pay anything for any healthcare through the VA so it didn't make sense for me to pay 400 a month for tricare especially since I wasn't working and hadn't yet had my early age drop approved by HRC. There are a lot of benefits available to retired reservists but they aren't always advertised well so it can take a little research to find out about them. Any reservist that lives near a base can make an appointment with the Retirement Services Officer and find out what benefits are available to them.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I would retire in a second if I could, way too many fish to catch and not enough time to do it.

And if you wait till you are ready it will be too late!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Retire as soon as possible.

What do I know about it?

I've been retired over 25 years and loved every second of it.

A few old dogs feel like if they're not still in the traces they won't know what to do with themselves. You know, like old prisoners begging the wardens to allow to stay in prison. Dullards all if they maintain that outlook.

Freedom is not to be sniffed at.

Hey, there's plenty to do to keep you happily occupied especially if you like to shoot, fish, work on home projects and on and on.

I'm never bored and always have projects to keep me feeling like I have purpose.

You will too.

Retire.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double check all your numbers with an actual SME and get all the regs and documents hardcopy if you can.

Take some time to simmer down a bit and see what the optempo does. Maybe talk to your BDE Boss and get his take.

But, In your gut you know the answer. You might love the Army, but the Army will not love you back. Nor will it give you back years of your life or your son's life.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired from my Sheriff's Office with 29 years in. 30 is the max for retirement calculation purposes, and that was always my goal. Until one day at about 28 and 3/4 years, I woke up and said, "omg, I'm sick and tired of this." Two days later, I went to the pension office and submitted my papers. I was out the door 3 months later. My take here, is that if you leave, you will not regret it. Go. Enjoy life while you can.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input.

Instead of retiring immediately, I have told my chain of command that I would not seek new ADOS orders next fiscal year. I've been with this unit for 8 years, time to look for something else when it comes to full-time employment. I'll remain on M-Day status for....well, however long I feel like it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah but you have to purchase Tricare as a Retired Reservist until you are eligible for retirement pay (typically 60 years old).

https://tricare.mil/Costs/HealthPlanCosts/TRR

$430 for individual / $1031 for member + family per month.

So it ain't cheap but the deductibles are low

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Good info, thanks! I've shared the link with some gray area pals. I'm long past that.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
By retiring do you mean completely retiring from work with all associated wages to live off whatever pension, SS, savings, etc., that you've accrued... being free to never work for wages again?

Or retire as in "retire from your current job" but will soon be looking for another full or part time job?

The reason I ask is many I know that have a government job retire at a relatively young age to work somewhere else. For most others that retire it means work's over live off SS and savings, and it's travel, fish, golf, whatever.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Lost both my parents 1 year after they retired. Worked their asses off for 45 years with dreams of retiring, traveling, etc. Never got to do any of it.

Life is too short - if you can afford it - retire and pick up some PT work that you enjoy.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Do it.

Lost both my parents 1 year after they retired. Worked their asses off for 45 years with dreams of retiring, traveling, etc. Never got to do any of it.

Life is too short - if you can afford it - retire and pick up some PT work that you enjoy.

There is that. I was fortunate to have known several people who worked long and hard and never even got to retire. One guy kept asking me, "Rey how much money can a million dollars spin off?" I would give him the answer and he would mentally multiply it by however many millions he had. (He also had a business on the side besides working.) Then the crash came and he stopped asking. I moved on then heard later he'd gotten sick, went to the hospital, and died there.

Another guy was working at the same company, shuffling along in the hallway on a Friday. Monday came and the word was out he died over the weekend. It made me want to retire while I can still enjoy being retired and not having to work.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When in doubt - if you have the means to --> retire.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good info, thanks! I've shared the link with some gray area pals. I'm long past that.

Yeah, it is relatively new (<5 years for Reserve Retirees) but can be a viable option for some - self employed, small biz owners, etc.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, it is relatively new (<5 years for Reserve Retirees) but can be a viable option for some - self employed, small biz owners, etc.

I feel better, I did not miss it. I retired from the IL ANG ten years ago at age 57, TriCare and the pension kicked in seven years ago at 60.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:

And if you wait till you are ready it will be too late!

all I'm lacking is money Big Grin I have the desire.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Speaking from personal experience, I can only recommend retiring at the first feasible opportunity.

Admittedly Mrs. Elk and I are very likely not your "average" married couple. She was born, raised and educated in Germany. She grew up during WW2 and lived through all the hunger, rationing, etc.

She managed our money from day 1. I.e. before we were married.

Due to her influence we have no debt now, and had none for nearly 40 years.

Having said all that, IBM gave those of us with 25 years of service and age 55 the choice to retire. And continue to work at the same job with the company that bought out our division.

We had no debt at the time, and continued to live our normal life style. I/we have zero regrets about retiring at the first opportunity.

My advice would be, unless you really love what you are doing and can live with the required life style, retire as early as possible! Find something to keep you busy and perhaps put some more bread on the table. I retired from IBM 25 years ago, and Lockheed 20 years ago.

Do not regret it for an instant. Have visited every one of the CONUS states, many of them multiple times.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post