SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Buying tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying tires Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just spent $700+ on two tires. 600 miles later, one of them has a two inch cut across the crown. These replaced two others, one with a five inch crown cut and one with a three inch sidewall cut.

I hate it when the USFS does their annual "road grading". All they do is pull rocks out of the ditches to spread across the potholes. Every year, tires cut down by rocks.

Posts: 880 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just bought four tires for the pickup. $1050 out the door. Toyo Open Country ATII tires. These are expensive, but I will have them for 10 years, so buying cheap tires for the truck just extends the pain.

I buy from Les Schwab. They have my commercial account for the semi truck, so they always treat me right. They sold the Toyos for $40 less/each than anybody else. Their service is top notch.

Perhaps I'm an odd duck, but I love buying new tires. They look good, smell good, and perform good compared to old, worn tires.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What really helps me (not) are the reviews on Tire Rack. One guy says, "These tires are great. Got 80,000 miles out of them. Best tire ever!" The next review of the same tire says, "These tires are crap. They wore out in 20,000 miles. I'll never buy this brand again! "

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have had good luck at my local ford dealer and good prices......boat tires are the worst though.....90% of them are replaced with 90% of their tread on them because they're dry rotted.

Same here, local Ford dealer beat out tirerack & Discount Tire when our Flex needed tires; and it got a 4 wheel alignment.
Saving a bit of money & the much improved driving/handling/grip performance is awesome.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put tires on my tiny little car. Has a bastard size so they had to be ordered. One of the four had a bad belt. Reordered. New tire came in. Bad belt. Third time was the charm.
Firestone.
Just under 500 bucks for 4 for a tiny little car!
Free rotation! Thanks! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
What really helps me (not) are the reviews on Tire Rack. One guy says, "These tires are great. Got 80,000 miles out of them. Best tire ever!" The next review of the same tire says, "These tires are crap. They wore out in 20,000 miles. I'll never buy this brand again! "

Yep, their reviews are crap. The reviews are typically for a different cars over a wide range of uses. Unless I find the guy/gal that has the same car as me, in the same area with the same driving habits, I would put very little weight in their reviews.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Yep, their reviews are crap. The reviews are typically for a different cars over a wide range of uses. Unless I find the guy/gal that has the same car as me, in the same area with the same driving habits, I would put very little weight in their reviews.

And that's what forums like this are for.
Better peer group to get some solid recommendations from.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daily driver (86 Olds Cutlass) used to take what were the least expensive tire size you could buy, the good old 205 70R14. Now it's not only a somewhat expensive size due to the low volume sold it's also darned near impossible to find in stock. The final insult is I really liked Bridgestone Blizzaks on the rear for winter driving But Bridgestone stopped building the Blizzak in that size.

Spent over an hour today looking for a 16 x 7 inch rim with a 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern and zero offset and finally found that Cragar has a steel wheel in that size for 80 bucks at Summit Racing. Will probably order 2 this week so I can then put some 225 60R16 Blizzaks on the rear. In a month or so I'll get two more for the front put some all season Kelly's on the front. Then next spring I'll pop for two more wheels and tires to preserve the Blizzaks for the next few winters.

So, in a somewhat small way I feel all of your pain. I am also quite thankful I never got hooked on the Truck/SUV habit because single tire for those beasts cost about what I'll end up paying for all 6 wheels and tires.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tabitha blew a tire just outside of Meridian, MS two weeks ago.

There was no tires to fit her car at any tire store available for several days. After a couple of very kind kids stopped to help her, she limped her car into Newton, MS on the doughnut and visited her mother at the nursing home. Her mother's room mate has a son that just so happened to run the ONLY tire store in this tiny little town.

She told him to do her right no questions asked.

He put 4 NEW 16" Toyo tires on her car for $200 out the door.

I drove to Mississippi Friday to go get a trailer and Tabitha's mother's things from her apartment in Hattiesburg and dropped by the tire store. It was this run down garage with I swear Cooter working there. His Southern drawl was thicker than mine and I could barely understand him.

I shook his hand and thanked him for not taking advantage of her. He said that he has been in business for so long because he is a man of honor. He was a Vietnam veteran and was in the Marines. He told me that treating people right has made him a rich man. His mama ordered him to help someone in dire need and he did just that.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Great story. I used to live in Meridian, even got married there. Our wedding photographer was from Newton, so I know the area.

We drove through in August on the way to the WW2 museum in New Orleans. Vehicle problems on the road can be a pain.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted Hide Post
I hate buying tires, but for a different reason. I'm very picky about how my truck handles and feels. Seems like even when I buy the same tires I liked last year, they feel completely different.

This last new set feels completely different than the tires I loved before, but those tires barely lasted 35,000 miles. I'm not paying $160 a tire for 35,000 miles.

These new tires have "broken in" some now, and feel OK.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

I agree about the reviews and don't bother reading them, but the rankings I pay attention to. Once you have who knows how many drivers reporting and ranking based on 10s of millions of miles driven, I figure it all averages out pretty much correctly.

I drive 40K a year and have always driven a sedan (mostly Altimas) in a "spirited" manner. Got used to replacing tires between 35-40K, so a little more often than once a year - maybe every 10-11 months or so.

Since I got my Cherokee, I haven't had that problem. I took delivery a little more than 27 months and 90K miles ago and I'm on the factory tires and brakes.

They're both due for replacement. The brakes & rotors are easy (especially since I'll do them myself). The tires are going to run me $900 installed, give or take.

Not bad for more than two years worth of tire, though.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeSig
posted Hide Post
Buying tires can be sort of un-nerving...

I wonder if it would help if you covered the tires during the non-use periods to eliminate any UV / sun damage.

Also we used to hyper-inflate tires on cars that were going into winter storage [Porsches] for 6 months during our winter.

My sense is you may be able to pull extra quality time re your tire investment if you did some preventative maintenance.

JoeSig

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus, Soli Deo Gloria, Sola Scriptura

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: October 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeSig:

I wonder if it would help if you covered the tires during the non-use periods to eliminate any UV / sun damage.

Also we used to hyper-inflate tires on cars that were going into winter storage [Porsches] for 6 months during our winter.

My sense is you may be able to pull extra quality time re your tire investment if you did some preventative maintenance.

JoeSig

I was thinking a thorough application of 303 Aerospace would prevent a lot of his off-season dry rot.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

JoeSig

I was thinking a thorough application of 303 Aerospace would prevent a lot of his off-season dry rot.

-Rob

303 is great. It's what I use on my boat interior. Armorall is not good.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
When buying tires be sure and check the date of manufacture. Code is next to DOT. A lot of tires on sale come from the back of warehouses where they have been sitting for years. Never buy a tire over 2 years old.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:

JoeSig

They were 14 years old. I've had the trailer for 4 of those. The tread blocks rather than the sidewalls were breaking apart. Where the tite contacted the concrete all winter was especially noticeable.

The next boat (in a couple years) won't be trailerable so I don't expect to replace them again.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Jeez guys, Count your blessings! I just put tires on my coach $600 x 8 just for the rubber. Do that every 6 to 7 years..... Cool

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Always liked Blizaaks. But this past Wednesday went with the Yohohama Faux Blizaaks for almost 40% less than the real thing. I just can not wrap my head around a $1K tire bill, for a normal vehicle.

If I was driving a 1 ton 4x4, OK. Or a Corvette with 20 inch ultra performance rubber, OK. But not on a regular old Honda Pilot.

Check out OEM type rubber for a few of the common performance cars. The 20" Goodyear, F1 Run Flats, for my Camaro run about $350 each!
I bought a set of new ones, on oem rims last January from a kid who immediately replaced his tires with new rims and bigger tires. Which gave me a set of spare summer tires and rims to run some all seasons for cold weather. I paid $800. Gotta love dumb kids with more cash than brains.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post