SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Buying tires
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying tires Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Why do I always come away feeling like I've been violated?

Already replaced tires on two vehicles this year.

Today it was time for the triple axle boat trailer that is towed 4 miles a year.

They hurt me again.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck at my local ford dealer and good prices......boat tires are the worst though.....90% of them are replaced with 90% of their tread on them because they're dry rotted.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I just put new sneakers on the bike. Change from $500 wouldn't buy you a Coke.

IIRC, I put 4 new Coopers on a Corolla for about that much.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I buy tires for two bikes, a suburban, an F250, and various farm equipment....yeah.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate buying tires. I always feel like I've been robbed and I'll have to do it all over again in a few years.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Do all of your shopping online at the chain stores

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I've got a Class A RV that's going to need them before too long.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm in the tire business and just had to replace tires on my Rubicon - OUCH!!

I'm a Hankook dealer on the East coast but live in Utah, it was cheaper to buy from a local dealer than get them direct! The manufacturers have different programs around the country.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I just put new sneakers on the bike. Change from $500 wouldn't buy you a Coke.

IIRC, I put 4 new Coopers on a Corolla for about that much.

I feel your pain. At the height of my bike riding days a few years ago I was putting enough mileage on the bike to having to replace the rear tire twice a year and the front once a year. OUCH!!
I didn't buy expensive Metzlers but ran Dunlop 440's at $300 a pop for the rears and $200+ for the fronts. That's around $800 a year just for the bike. I found a motorcycle shop that would change the tires for free if I bought from them. Yeah, they upcharged for them but it was still cheaper than anywhere else. At least the car tires last 3-4 years before replacement.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just put a set on our 5th wheel. Most expensive tires I've ever purchased. 5x what the chinabombs they replaced would have been and so far, they've lasted twice as many miles, 5,000 vs 2,500.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have had good luck at my local ford dealer and good prices......boat tires are the worst though.....90% of them are replaced with 90% of their tread on them because they're dry rotted.

That means you aren't boating enough. Wink

Simply spend $15,000 a year on boat gas, and you'll get your money's worth out of your $100 tires. Believe me, I know.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Boat tires? Confused

Amphib, maybe?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Boat tires? Confused

Amphib, maybe?

I actually passed one of those amphib cars today on the road.

The boat stays in the water all summer. The trailer holds all 9000 lbs of it in the driveway for the winter.

Paying for Winter storage would hurt worse.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Today it was time for the triple axle boat trailer that is towed 4 miles a year.

They hurt me again.

Next time you need tires let me know. I can meet you at BassPro in Perrysburg. Maybe I can save you a buck or two. You will just have to find a local installer.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

They hurt me again.

Next time you need tires let me know. I can meet you at BassPro in Perrysburg. Maybe I can save you a buck or two. You will just have to find a local installer.

Thanks! I actually bought a set at Belle in Perrysburg a few years ago when I had a blowout on the interstate.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm about an hour south of there. But I have a son and his family in Pburg so pretty easy to persuade me to drive there.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I've been watching both my vehicles/trucks, and probably will be buying tires for both soon, as Both trucks got tires at about the same time previously.

I've gotten about the same mileage and service out of the cheap Good Year Wranglers on one truck as I have the Cooper HT tires on the other truck.

I have been buying tires at a local chain, they are even lower in price than Anywhere else around here, but its an ordeal having a set installed, as the store has so many daily customers.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Center mass,
Armpit level...

Picture of greekfed
posted Hide Post
My new cars both have 19" wheels on them. I don't look forward to having to replace the tireson them!

Posts: 3154 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: August 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I would just about rather take a beating with a sopping wet shit filled bus station restroom mop than buy tires...just find a vendor/store that has something you want/close to what you want and buy them...pretend it never happened...and go on...dream of calm blue oceans.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I love buying tires. It's exciting to pick out a tread pattern I won't buy an ugly or boring tire LOL Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post