SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People asking me for a "deal" on ammo
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People asking me for a "deal" on ammo Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm still waiting for OP to offer me a deal on ammo. Radio silence so far, I can't understand why.
I must have missed the request. What do you need?
I guess I should have included the joking icon. I did not make any request, I was just being a smartass.

But thanks for asking, I appreciate that!

I was just playing along. Not that I wouldn't help you out if you were in dire need.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not!

A friend that was a new gun owner, I'd sell a couple hundred round nose and 50 SD rounds @ 50-60¢ a round, still a 'good' price, but less than what I could replace it for. If I knew they were destitute, I'd give it to them.

Luckily most people know not to ask me a stupid question like that.

I did give away a couple hundred rounds on a local FB group with the only stipulation being that they either could not find or afford the ammo.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
honestlou

A friend asked me the other day when we were talking ammo. He was wondering what .50 cal rounds were selling for. I knew you had one.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The only person that gets a deal (free) on ammo is my 22 y/o college aged son. I would help my dad if needed, as he was late to get in the game but able to acquire a good supply in the last year at reasonable prices. I had to tell him to stop buying as prices got really high as I have plenty to spare if he needed it. Anyone else is on their own and wouldn’t know I’m stacked deep.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
honestlou

A friend asked me the other day when we were talking ammo. He was wondering what .50 cal rounds were selling for. I knew you had one.

It's a hell of a thing... you can buy Lake City .50BMG - 4:1 linked in hundred round cans for 2.90/rd. That's less than the cheapest .380 Hornady Critical Defense I've been looking for.

Prices via ammoseek.com just now.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Same issue here. Friends keep asking me to sell them ammo at old prices.

I say nope, what I have is for me, shame on you for not stocking up when it was cheap......

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
honestlou

It's a hell of a thing... you can buy Lake City .50BMG - 4:1 linked in hundred round cans for 2.90/rd. That's less than the cheapest .380 Hornady Critical Defense I've been looking for.

Prices via ammoseek.com just now.

Yep, and I can’t think of another caliber that is at pre-panic prices. I noticed that .50 is on the the list of items targeting for banning. I might have to buy some more just because I can.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Luckily I don’t have these kinds of requests but if I did, the answer would invariably be “sorry, I don’t have enough to sell any”. No matter how much you have it will always be true. I will give up a box of 50 rounds here and there for the truly needy though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Similar thoughts come to mind when a friend told me he’s down to one week of firewood left. He normally goes to FL for a few months.

Now I like cutting firewood, for myself anyway. I already cut enough for others. My 2+ year wood supply didn’t just happen by accident.

The price of firewood mid-Winter isn’t the same as early Summer.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am surprised it has happened to so many of us here.
I had a guy I know call me and ask me to sell him some ammo. I asked how much he wanted/needed and why he needed it.
I knew that he had been shooting some up on full auto. Gee at a time when it was hard to find and very expensive and he was burning it up in a frenzy.
He told me he wanted as much as I would sell to him. I sent him a text with a link for him to buy some at a high price.
He told me that he had seen that ammo there for that price. I told him that it was as cheap as I could find it right now. He said yeah, well you gonna sell me some? I guess he wanted it for what I bought it for a couple years ago?
What does that say about how he feels about me?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Aquabird, that is a pretty bold person to ask you for ammo as blatantly as that.

Bless his heart.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
"bold" isn't the term I'd use, but Para won't allow the correct term.

I grew up sort of poor. Or my mother said "your father was cheap." No, he was was a tight ass. I got my shooting in by scavenging. Then shooting bolt action rifles. One shot at a time, aimed. Bailing anyone but kin out is foolish, more so with the kin. They've got to learn. Easier for them if its expensive. They just want to waste your ammo, not their money.

So we're back to Para's first commandment. Everyone repeat "buy it cheap, stack it deep". It goes along with owning a rain coat or umbrella and not waiting until a downpour to look for one. No, you can't borrow mine.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had a neighbor offer me 50 empty once fired .380 ACP cases if I'd give him 50 reloaded .380 acp rounds.

I may be dense, but I'm not that dense. Now he won't talk to me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Sandy Hook happened and ammo was flying off the shelves I invested in a reloading setup. When my friends saw that I was still shooting they invested into reloading setups. When things calmed down a couple of friends started parting out their reloading setups as they'd rather just pay for the ammo than stock components and spend time preping and loading ammo. Now ammo is through the roof again and they're trying to get a reloading setup back up and running. They know better to ask if I have primers, powder and bullets to sell.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I had a neighbor offer me 50 empty once fired .380 ACP cases if I'd give him 50 reloaded .380 acp rounds.

Wow. People never cease to amaze me.

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Bless their hearts.

Yep. That about covers it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Wow. People never cease to amaze me.

This one made me laugh.

Neither of my two friends have asked me to sell any of my ammo.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of my friends have asked me to sell them ammo but I tend not to discuss such things like how many guns or how much ammo I have mano-e-mano.

I have gifted 2- 500 round ammo cans of 5.56 to people who needed it and a Nephew in law (is that a thing?) got a 420 round can of Federal last Christmas. I've sold somewhere between 13000 and 16000 rounds of 5.56 since the shortage, which easily pays for the 4000 rounds I've decided to keep. At .70-.75/a round, it's cheaper than anyplace out there for high quality brass cased ammo, and if it even helps reduce the crush one iota that that's a good thing too.

When Para noted "buy cheap, stack deep", I already had full ammo cans all but blocking the basement as I was in agreement with him: but I think I even bought more. Had to buy a couple cheap stack on cabinets to put it vertically to get the house back. Even then it didn't all fit, and the big GI 20mm mortar cans that weight close to 100 lbs full are also stacked up.

I was shooting less than years back and already had too much, so I needed even less. A range session any more rarely goes over 100 rounds for me, I just enjoy getting out, send a few downrange and see how bad the skills have deteriorated - sort of like my eyesight:-) . I was feeling pretty cocky about it as the shortage started, then I look over and see my wife looking at new houses online...I'm thinking - people need it, and I need to get rid of some of my crap or I'll be moving it soon.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I was feeling pretty cocky about it as the shortage started, then I look over and see my wife looking at new houses online...I'm thinking - people need it, and I need to get rid of some of my crap or I'll be moving it soon.

Moving isn't funny. We built this house 11 years ago and it was terrible. The vast majority of my ammo was in ammo cans. Just moving a few dozen .50 cal cans can hurt you. It also takes plenty of planning. Make sure you have a ground level door in the new home on the level you plan on storing the ammo.

I was just recovering from bypass surgery (does anyone ever recover?) My youngest did a great job of hauling the crap up from the old house, taking it to his house, then down to his dungeon. But it was wearing on him and he only got it up to his garage. My surgeon lifted my 15# weight limit. So I agreed, helped him lift it into the back of my jeep, and after a proper guilt trip drove off.

I just drove around to the rear of the new house (where the burglars door is located). Then using a cart, lifted the ammo cans to the cart. Then pushed it to the vault room. I even learned that 4 or 5 high is the limit for a full can. Anything over that is an empty. And each can needs to be labeled with its contents. I've considered using another wall and not going above 2 or 3.

If I had it to do over, I'd install a gantry system to lift each can from the stack. Maybe you guys can come up with a suggestion. But I want a power lift! I've made a bunch of mistakes in my life. Over filling cans of reloaded 9mm is one of them. The same for other calibers. Why the hell didn't the army make padded handles on them?

And the labeling idea, with a stencil, didn't come soon enough for me to figure out where the 12 gauge shells are. Hint, you can't move the ones on top. Those are the unlabeled ones and I don't know how to "cut" the sides out to see! I'm not using my cutting torch on a can of loaded ammo. Ain't happenin'.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I am a dealer, and do mostly estates and collections,

I do have a retail presence, as in enough to keep the ATF happy, but am by appt only,

I don't stock any new stuff, firearms or ammo,

however I do have some in the building,

I don't sell locally, or to friends,

simply because I can get so much more for it online,

if someone I know needs some, I have hooked them up with a box of 2, but rarely,
most I know are in the stack it deep croud

but otherwise, sorry,
it all goes online, at a base start price that is where it was before the Cooties, and let the auctions run the course,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post