SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People asking me for a "deal" on ammo
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People asking me for a "deal" on ammo Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I was feeling pretty cocky about it as the shortage started, then I look over and see my wife looking at new houses online...I'm thinking - people need it, and I need to get rid of some of my crap or I'll be moving it soon.

Moving isn't funny. We built this house 11 years ago and it was terrible. The vast majority of my ammo was in ammo cans. Just moving a few dozen .50 cal cans can hurt you. It also takes plenty of planning. Make sure you have a ground level door in the new home on the level you plan on storing the ammo.

I was just recovering from bypass surgery (does anyone ever recover?) My youngest did a great job of hauling the crap up from the old house, taking it to his house, then down to his dungeon. But it was wearing on him and he only got it up to his garage. My surgeon lifted my 15# weight limit. So I agreed, helped him lift it into the back of my jeep, and after a proper guilt trip drove off.

I just drove around to the rear of the new house (where the burglars door is located). Then using a cart, lifted the ammo cans to the cart. Then pushed it to the vault room. I even learned that 4 or 5 high is the limit for a full can. Anything over that is an empty. And each can needs to be labeled with its contents. I've considered using another wall and not going above 2 or 3.

If I had it to do over, I'd install a gantry system to lift each can from the stack. Maybe you guys can come up with a suggestion. But I want a power lift! I've made a bunch of mistakes in my life. Over filling cans of reloaded 9mm is one of them. The same for other calibers. Why the hell didn't the army make padded handles on them?

And the labeling idea, with a stencil, didn't come soon enough for me to figure out where the 12 gauge shells are. Hint, you can't move the ones on top. Those are the unlabeled ones and I don't know how to "cut" the sides out to see! I'm not using my cutting torch on a can of loaded ammo. Ain't happenin'.

My heart is fine, 2 back operations has me contemplating every move I make. I have a Harbor Frieght engine hoist I modified with 8 inch air filled tires , swivels up front. I have also re engineered a wheelbarrow, I added a longer axel, two tires ,some old bicycle parts such as prockets , chain and powered it with a electronic window motor off a F250. The design is evolving.
I will take new shooters to the range and give them ammo. I wave always done that. I won't sell any.
For one thing it is against the law in California.

One thing the California ban on internet ammo sales did was get many of us to buy up ammo, I mean a lot of ammo.

As for padded ammo can handle s. I was not on the wrong side of 50 back when I used to carry them around. I don't think the war planners in the Pentagon were to concerned about my comfort years later. Besides they would not stack neatly.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who mocks me when I drop by Sportsman's Warehouse and just buy a few boxes of Rio #4 buckshot because I rarely shoot shotgun or when the Walmart has the 325 boxes of 22lr for $18. And I say, well, at least now I have it at a sane price, even if it just sits in my house. And I don't get upset with the hoard word.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the last ammo/component shortage several years ago, I vowed to never get caught short again. Over the last several years I would go each week and buy a brick of 22 and a pound of powder or a pound of powder and a 1,000 primers. Something each week. Over the last 10 years, I have laid in quite a stash. I could retire again if I sold it all.

I have people want to buy stuff all of the time. Ammo, primers, and powder mostly. I politely decline. I hear the same argument all the time. "But you got it cheap" and my response is the same. So I sell you 5 boxes of 9mm for $8.50 a box, but I have to replace it at $24,99 a box. How us that fair to me?

The time to buy is when it is available and cheap and not in a panic situation.

As others have said, If someone needs it I have given them ammo. I have a few trusted friends that I have "Loaned" powder and primers to that will replace them once things calm down a little bit. I dont want to sell because I don't want to be a gouger, but I don't feel all that bad about having what I have.

I usually give my grandson's shooting stuff for their birthdays and Christmas. This past Christmas, I gave them each a steel "gong" a roll of postersand lastly a brick of Blazer .22's. My sons were upset because they only got date night gift card for them and their wives. They wanted ammo too

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A shop by me had Winchester 231 at $28 a pound two weeks ago. Yesterday? $35 a pound.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part. If I would agree to sell some of my personal stash/supply it will not be at bargain basement prices just because you were asleep and lazy and willing to try and mooch of of family and or friends. .................................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey, you got any deals on ammo?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had one request for a deal on components during the previous panic on ammo and components when Ovomit was elected.

I compromised by loaning the person bullets, not loaded rounds, and they later paid me back in bullets.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm still shooting the mountains of ammo I bought in Summer '16. Also, I shoot less frequently since I took up motorcycling in '18.

I've been hit up numerous times and said "hell no" every time except once. My only exception is my neighbor & friend who is a LEO and his dept switched from 40 to 9 about 15 months ago. On top of that, the dept only provided them with duty rounds (i.e. no FMJ to get used to the new gun) so I sold him a bunch of boxes of 9mm FMJ for my cost.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:...
As for padded ammo can handle s. I was not on the wrong side of 50 back when I used to carry them around. I don't think the war planners in the Pentagon were to concerned about my comfort years later. Besides they would not stack neatly.

I sold so much ammo....the .45 I had seemed heavy in those .50cal cans I carried out of my basement 2 at a time so I checked them on a scale. 60lbs each. The 20mm mortar cans must have had over 200lbs each in them. I sold well over half of my stash. In sharing with friends I received multiple requests. Nobody asked me for a discount, but I discounted for multiple folks. They're my friends, and if someone wanted to buy 3000 rounds of .762x51/.308 or 5000 rounds of 9mm , that's a lot of money no matter who you are.

I need to start paring back the rest of the hoard now - all kinds of crap I bought up over the years, mostly non-gun stuff.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I reload so all my ammo is free according to my family and friends. I have taken a few people shooting and they bitch when they have to pick up the brass. I shoot alone most of the time.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day my son helped me do something at the house and when he left I handed him a box of 9mm and 100 rds of .22 for my grandson . I have a shooting buddy that is pretty much out of everything but he doesn't put a lot of effort into looking either . I've sold him a couple of boxes for a fair price so he can go shoot with me but that's coming to a halt . Ammo is becoming more plentiful around here so he's on his own now .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post