SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gas prices at my favorite station jumped nearly $.35...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas prices at my favorite station jumped nearly $.35... Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I get 91 octane so I don’t know how much regular gas costs but the premium went up from $.3.85 to $4.19. Did we lose a bunch of refineries?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You'd think with the US being the number one producer of oil/gas in the world that our prices would be back down to...oh...I don't know, maybe about $.25/gallon these days.

Apparently the laws of supply and demand don't apply to the oil and gas industry.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been on all the news programs - most refineries are down for maintenance and switching to the "summer" blends. That, coupled with increases in crude and some other refinery problems, have been the cause.

They are saying $4-plus per gallon will be soon.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
As another user of 91+, you’re saying $4/gal will be here soon but are you talking about 87 octane? Those of us requiring 91 are looking at $5? So glad I didn’t buy a truck.
I’m not in CA so it’s only $3/gal now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are saying $4-plus per gallon will be soon.

Here it is in the $2.50 range. ETA: for regular. However, at the beginning of the year it was under $2 for a little while. Fifty cents is a 25% increase, which is probably more, percentage-wise, than your increase.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I use Chevron exclusively. It's not the least expensive brand but this station is the least expensive Chevron. 87 octane was listed as $3.99. I don't think we've seen prices this high since 2013.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About $2.75 in the Yoop. But our Governor, who many idiots voted into office, will be raising the gas tax 45 cents, after the increase is fully implemented. Making our tax the highest in the US.
More good news.... Car insurance will increase by 25+ bucks a month, due to changes in our no fault insurance system. Car insurance is already among the highest in the US.
Thanks, Lansing!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It's been climbing here too...I was in Pigeon Forge Thursday and I paid $2.45 for regular at the Shell station on Winfield Dunn Pkway...this is a touristy area and it was .10 per gallon cheaper than outlying areas (locally)...I was surprised...PLUS it was the start of the Pigeon Forge spring Rod Run/car show which made it that much more surprising Eek

Today it was $2.64 here in the "Land Of Cleve" TN.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
North Carolina gas taxes have historically been some of the highest in the nation. NC is in at 14 now. Yet our roads are in rough shape. Best of luck to you based on N.C. I noticed that MI was in at #6. Watch for your highway quality to go down as the taxes go up.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
North Carolina gas taxes have historically been some of the highest in the nation.

They had to make up the cash flow somehow from all those years with absolutely NO tobacco tax.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It was $2.25 a few weeks ago and I didn't fill up. Thought it was too high. Then it jumped to $2.59 and I said I'm only putting in $10 at a time until it goes down, which should be soon. Now it's at $2.79.

Good thing my commute is only 12 miles each way.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
mid-grade was $2.50ish the other day when I filled up here. we're usually just a few cents more than national average. but it's jumped about the same .25 to .45 cents a gallon in the last ten days, depending on the station/brand/proximity to I15.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was wondering when the annual spring gasoline thread was going to occur. It's like clockwork, the EPA requires reformulated gasoline RVP numbers at refineries & terminals by May 1 and at the pump by June 1, and every year there are 1 or 2 threads on gasoline price increases.

The biggest news in summer gasoline is that last July 3 counties in Northern Kentucky were successful at opting out of summer gasoline. Opting out has been allowed in regulation (have to jump through a bunch of hoops) since the late 90s, and allowing it to actually happen is a feather in the cap of the Trump administration. Looks like it took 15 months between KY applying and the EPA approving.

One thing to note in the EPA clean air regs is that there were both:
  • Clean Air Act Required Areas (i.e. data modelling showed benefit)
  • "Opt-In" Areas (i.e. counties or entire states that the modelling didn't show enough benefit, but the elected official voluntarily signed their citizens up for it anyway). Please note that the 3 counties in Northern KY were originally opt-in so it'll be interesting to see if more regions or states follow KY's lead and opt out.

Normally, I write long diatribes imploring people to quit electing assclowns who like to make sound bites about EPA regs costing them gasoline money but then do nothing about it. This year, I'll just say that if you live in an opt-in area get hounding your elected officials to follow Northern KY's lead.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chowser:
    As another user of 91+, you’re saying $4/gal will be here soon but are you talking about 87 octane? Those of us requiring 91 are looking at $5?
    A word to the wise, 99.9999% of people predicting gas prices will hit x.xx per gallon are full of hot air. Even worse, they will not put their money where their mouth is. Gasoline is a commodity so anyone (except oil & gas employees) can buy derivatives and actually invest in their prediction.

Instead of going along with it I like to ask them, "how much money have you invested in x.xx per gallon?" If they say none (I have yet to have someone respond that they've went long/short on gasoline derivatives), I inquire, "when are you investing in x.xx per gallon?" If they admit they don't know how, I offer to give them a name of a few brokerages. Nobody has taken me up on my offer and they usually shut up at this point. It's an asshole or at least asshole adjacent approach, but it's better than listening to the worn out and brain dead "have you heard gasoline will hit x.xx this summer?" shtick.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too old to run,
    too mean to quit!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gustofer:
    You'd think with the US being the number one producer of oil/gas in the world that our prices would be back down to...oh...I don't know, maybe about $.25/gallon these days.

Apparently the laws of supply and demand don't apply to the oil and gas industry.

So how much of our oil products, including refined gasoline, get exported? I seem to recall that it is a BUNCH! As in millions of gallons/barrels.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
    -Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post

Probably a new Commie Tax out there, for the illegals or chirrins.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    I read that all this horrific flooding in the Midwest has destroyed a lot of the ethanol corn crop and that's one of the reasons prices are skyrocketing.

It sounds like the usual BS excuses again and tell me again WHY THE F*CK are we still turning corn into gasoline with all this new oil we keep finding? Mad

We will be at $3.00 a gallon here in Pennsylvania within another week or so at the rate they are raising prices, which is around 20-25 cents a week. Last fill-up was $2.85/gallon. It stinks that PA now has the highest gasoline tax in the whole country and our politicians have stolen the money for other purposes and not used it for our roads which is what is WAS supposed to be for, which are still absolute shit. Mad

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    What pisses me off, is gas station prices move up instantly anytime there is news of a refinery issue OR the barrel price of oil goes up. The gas station prices jump up the same day, yet you know the millions of gallons of fuel sitting at the local depot was already paid for at the lower price.

THEN, when the barrel price of oil drops, it takes weeks, if not a month, before the prices at local gas stations start dropping. Even busy ones that have a fuel truck their daily.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Our local Chevron was $2.99 a month ago, now $3.59. This for regular 87 octane .

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Filled up at Costco yesterday, $3.04/Regular Frown

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post