SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbors who don't pick up after their dogs. PICS added.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbors who don't pick up after their dogs. PICS added. Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
We have this problem for a while now. Few times, I found dog crap in my front lawn. Couple of times, either in front of the driveway or at th side (on the asphalt). I already placed a small, friendly sign in my front lawn saying "Please pick up after your dog. Thank You".

Two days ago, I found some huge, already dried dig crap on the side of the road. I did not want to waste time reviewing my security cameras, as I have no idea when it happened.

About 20 mins ago, my wife sent me a short video (finally caught the culprit), walking 2 dogs. One dog took a dump on yhe street, in front of my driveway. Owner just looked at the dog while it was taking a dump, then just walked away. There is no way for me to know who it was. But Im sure it is a neighbor since we live in a gated community. Now, I am really PiSSED off!

This is what I am thinking of doing. But I thought of asking your opinion on the matter.

1. I would like to make a print out from the video showing the owner (but blurring her face) and the 2 dogs, with a message "Please picknup after your dogs". Will I get into some legal trouble for doing that?

2. Send a copy of the video to the HOA and request that they send a remainder to all homeowners to pick up after their dogs.

3. Put a bigger sign directly on the Stop Sign post, reminding them of the health hazard of dog shits.

Kids do play on the street, especially now that they are off school.

Just this morning, I sent an email to the City of North Las Vegas asking them if there is some sort of City Ordinance regarding this, and if they can post the City Code at the gate of the community. I hope to hear back from them.

What you folks think? I dont want to get into a bad situation where I will always have to look at the camera (in case the cuplrit decides to retaliate if I post the picture at the street Stop Sign post, right in front of my house), about 3-5 yards where the dog took a dump.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ador,

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Let the HOA deal with it. It's one of the reasons they take your money.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best approach is to talk directly to the dog owner. Suggest maybe she did not notice but that she left something in your yard. At least then you will have some idea of whom you are dealing with and can choose an appropriate response. Some people are just thoughtless. You could buy an inexpensive pooper scooper and give it to her. Since you live in a gated community that would probably work. Public shaming works well but gets you bad mouthed.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I do not want any type of confrontation with our neighbor. We are quiet people, and do not want to worry about getting into a feud with a neighbor.

I will probably send s certified letter to the HOA requesting that they send a REMINDER letter to all homeowners to pick up after their dogs. I know I already read something like this in one of their quarterly letters to homeowners a while back. Maybe it is time to send a new reminder.

I don't know who this neighbor is. The only way I can find out is to watch anyone who walks 2 dogs that fits the profile of the lady walker. I will try a polite approach first to see if that works.

I don't want to get into anyone's bad side, especially that we will be out of town for 3 weeks for our annual vacation.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Who Flung Poo said- Picking it up and flinging it at my neighbors house had positive results.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If I had the time, I would post the tale of "Poop Man", the insane neighbor I had dealings with about 10 years ago. No, he didn't call himself that, I gave him that name after our first encounter. If I can find a typed out post of it someplace, I will put it up here, it shows how crazy people can get over, well, stupid shit.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have had many problems with dogs at several places.
In one case the owner when confronted threatened to sic the dog on me until he saw I was armed. Followed him all the way back to his house. Never saw him again.

Called the Animal Control on one neighbor when the dogs did it on the side walk and front porch. Turned out they had five dogs and many cats which caused them to get fined for no rabies shots and tags. Due to the number of pets, they had to move since you are only allowed three dogs.

In another case the dog was let out late at night so I placed some dog food where the dog was doing the number. The food was mixed with mineral oil. The next day, the clothes line had many rugs and other household items in the yard being washed off. Big Grin

I have one of the wireless motion detectors at the garage which shows when someone is in the front yard.

At another place the dog damaged the property and did his number in the driveway. I got a warrant for the owner when the dog warden couldn't get any results. It cost him at least $5K for a lawyer since you can get jail time for letting your dogs run loose. Turned out the dogs were in his wife's name so he got off from going to jail.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
As Who Flung Poo said- Picking it up and flinging it at my neighbors house had positive results.

My mother did that one time when the dog did his number in the flower bed. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The developer in my community maximized his return on the land: relatively small lots, houses pretty close together.

My next door neighbor used to tie her dog out in her front yard with a leash that was long enough to let the dog wander over and crap on the grass next to my driveway, right where my wife would step when getting in or out of her car.

I waited until there was a pretty large accumulation, then took a shovel and neatly deposited it all on the neighbor’s side of the property line.

It just took once to get the message across. Never had that problem again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Vtail I did a similar thing, neighbors wife had three little rescue dogs, the husband would walk them and he would let them crap in our yard since we have a dog, since our dog is 60 pounds the difference is noticeable.

So I piled up two shovel fulls, took them over to his driveway and spread them out around the drivers door area of his truck, no way to get in it without stepping in dog crap or cleaning it up.

He started cleaning up after the dogs from then on.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I called the HOA management company. I also sent them an email, with pictures and a copy of this letter. HOA rep asked if I know where she live so they can send out a citation. Unfortunately, I don't know where she live, unless I see her again and follow her home (which I might do if I see her).

I printed this and placed it on the corner street sign post. I did not post her picture (yet). If this happens again, then I will post her picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ador,

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was doing contract software development for BellSouth in the Birmingham area. I rented a little bachelor place there.

There was a woman who was too lazy to walk her three dogs in the designated area; she let them crap all over the place and never cleaned up after them.

It got to the point that I could not walk to the mailbox without getting dog shit all over my shoes.

I spoke to her, reasonably politely, and she told me to mind my own fucking business (her words).

I took some photos of her holding the leash while her dogs were pooping, then followed her at a distance to see where she lived.

She called the cops, told them I was harassing her and stalking her.

Cops came to have a "no-pervert" talk with me. I asked them if they wanted to look at a few photos. They gave her a citation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Picture like this one? I took a still photo from our security camera. That dog was shitting while walking. So yeah. Dog shits from one end to the other end of our driveway. I emailed few pictures like this one to the HOA. Let's see what action they will take (if any).

You know what is really dumb? The security cameras around my house (10 total) are visible from the street. Yet, they decide to do shit like this.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Most people have their heads up their asses and would never notice a camera. Hopefully the HOA does what they are paid to do.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Picture like this one? I took a still photo from our security camera. That dog was shitting while walking. So yeah. Dog shits from one end to the other end of our driveway. I emailed few pictures like this one to the HOA. Let's see what action they will take (if any).

You know what is really dumb? The security cameras around my house (10 total) are visible from the street. Yet, they decide to do shit like this.

Hopefully the fact you mentioned security footage in your signs will be enough to prevent a true public shaming. I dont know if your HOA does this but ours has several "stations" throughout the neighborhood with plastic baggies and a dedicated trash can

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Kevmo, public shaming is not my intention. I did not post her picture as I do not want to publicly humiliate her. Hopefully, when I mentioned security camera on my posted message, that will tell her (and others who do the same) to start picking up after their dogs.

Having a dog poop "stations" placed around the community is a good idea. I will suggest that to our HOA. Not sure about trash cans though. Im sure home owners would not want a public trash can in front of their houses.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The developer in my community maximized his return on the land: relatively small lots, houses pretty close together.

My next door neighbor used to tie her dog out in her front yard with a leash that was long enough to let the dog wander over and crap on the grass next to my driveway, right where my wife would step when getting in or out of her car.

I waited until there was a pretty large accumulation, then took a shovel and neatly deposited it all on the neighbor’s side of the property line.

It just took once to get the message across. Never had that problem again.

In the mid 70's we had a fairly new single police officer living next to us who had a black lab that used to crap in our yard. Dad mentioned to him that he didn't appreciate picking up after a dog that wasn't his... The behavior continued until one morning dad deposited a rather large fresh pile on his front step. When the neighbor stepped out bare footed to get his news paper, he stepped right in that fresh pile.

Never had an issue after that. Big Grin

Other than that one incident, he was a great neighbor.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read this entire thread with all of the suggestions offered to deal with this problem. Many of them may be successful, however what is missing is sizing up the individual who is allowing their dog to behave in such a manner. Some people sadly do not care, others will retaliate against you, others may apologize and correct their behavior. The fact that you reside in a gated community and that it is a female probably rules out their pulling a gun on you. The following video is not suggested and is probably staged.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it helps to realize it could be worse: