SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Whenever Your're Busy, and Have to Get Things Done
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whenever Your're Busy, and Have to Get Things Done Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
You can guarantee that Windows 10 will have a massive update that takes forever to install, and that then requires the disk to run at 100% madly transferring stuff and indexing stuff, and doing stuff that is more important than the stuff that you have to do, at least in Window's expert opinion.

Skull fuck Windows with a tire iron. Hell, make that a seriously magnetized tire iron. Really get in there, mash it around and scramble things. Give that disk something to really do.

No, I don't want more "features". I want my fucking computer to work, damnit.

(Posting from a different computer, 'cause the one I need to use is doing "Updates" and stuff, you know. Please wait...

[SpinningCircle]...

Hell, they're only "billable hours" going down the tube...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use Apple stuff for just about everything, except two programs that require a Windows environment:
  • QuickBooks, for bookkeeping for my small business. I'm still on the 2013 version. I see no reason to pay Intuit's cost for a newer version, as this one does everything I need.

• The payroll module of Medlin Accounting. This focuses on straightforward payroll stuff without a fancy schmancy user interface and it does not require updates except for the tax tables. It will run on just about any version of Windows, so latest Windows with updates is not required.
In view of the above, I am still using Windows 7 and I have it set NOT to attempt any updates. Life is simpler.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Set it to update when you want? Or is that no longer an option? (Seems unlikely, but Microsoft has done so many things I'd have thought unlikely, and even downright dumb, I make no assumptions, any more.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to when my iPhone locks up as it wants me to install an update that I don't want or need.

I wonder if I could sue them if I could not make a 911 phone call because of the stupid pop up for the update.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
MS will shove a (critical) update up your computer's wazoo (your 'puter's pooter) and force restart it while you madly click on the "restart later" and watch all your apps close without any option to save all your work as everything swirls down the crapper.

You can disable Windows (automatic) Update and then manually enable and run it when your bored.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Sounds similar to when my iPhone locks up as it wants me to install an update that I don't want or need.

I have never had that happen on any of the four iOS devices my wife and I have between us. Five, if you include my watch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I have never had that happen on any of the four iOS devices my wife and I have between us. Five, if you include my watch.

Yeah, just another Apple-hater there.

Funny because we have probably 6 Mac computers, at least 8 iphones and 4 ipads over the course of the last 5-10 years and NEVER had that happen.

You can always postpone an update. Always.

But please, wax poetic at how easy Windows is h2oys.

Please, riddle away. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, just another Apple-hater there.

Funny because we have probably 6 Mac computers, at least 8 iphones and 4 ipads over the course of the last 5-10 years and NEVER had that happen.

You can always postpone an update. Always.

But please, wax poetic at how easy Windows is h2oys.

Please, riddle away. Wink

Not at all. I’ll post a screenshot the next time it happens.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Set it to update when you want? Or is that no longer an option? (Seems unlikely, but Microsoft has done so many things I'd have thought unlikely, and even downright dumb, I make no assumptions, any more.)

Win10 has 'Active Hours' where it will not force updates/restart.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have windows 10 and updates appear to apply only shutting down and starting up.

If it takes a while updating and you wanted to work on it, I can see how that's frustrating.

But I haven't had an update take more than a couple of minutes. I have SSD and 15 megs memory if that makes a difference.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I use Apple stuff for just about everything, except two programs that require a Windows environment:
  • QuickBooks, for bookkeeping for my small business. I'm still on the 2013 version. I see no reason to pay Intuit's cost for a newer version, as this one does everything I need.

• The payroll module of Medlin Accounting. This focuses on straightforward payroll stuff without a fancy schmancy user interface and it does not require updates except for the tax tables. It will run on just about any version of Windows, so latest Windows with updates is not required.
In view of the above, I am still using Windows 7 and I have it set NOT to attempt any updates. Life is simpler.

I hope the Win 7 computer will be disconnected from the internet, around 2020 when Microsoft ends security patching for it Big Grin

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybird86:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I hope the Win 7 computer will be disconnected from the internet, around 2020 when Microsoft ends security patching for it Big Grin
I do not connect the Windows VM to the internet for any purpose other than initiating a request to Medlin Accounting for tax table updates. No mail, no web browsing, no nothing, just the requests for tax table updates.

Every thing else, including mail, web stuff, etc., is done in the Mac environment.

As far as security patches to Windows 7, I have never done one. I'm running with the original installation. I don't see a need for security patches if the only internet connection I ever make, is one that I initiate to a specific website (Medlin Accounting).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oh, I know you can set the active hours thing to make it do updates on off hours, except that Windows is a bit like a dog when you have filled his bowl, but not put it down. It can't think of anything except the update you have put off. Sure, it says you can do it later, but it slows down everything else, lags horribly, and generally acts like a millennial until you let it do its damned update, restart three or so times, re-index its disk, and then get on with life.

It's like fighting with your wife. Your're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
They took this to a new level with their Xbox. Nothing like 60+ GB worth of updates to brighten up your day.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate windows Artie.

I turned mine on today and it was running so slow that I thought I was back 20 years ago using a computer.
Did a couple things and it sped up. Was not a virus.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post