SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    ARG!!!! The Hydrostat Drive Failed On My Cub Cadet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ARG!!!! The Hydrostat Drive Failed On My Cub Cadet Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Only had this thing a little over a year.

32 hours on the clock and it blew all the oil out with a pop when I put it in reverse.

Called Cub and they are completely useless. I am responsible for scheduling the repair and transport.

I had a 23 year old Craftsman mower that never gave any trouble. I only sold it because the tires were wore out.

My brother has a Cub Cadet made in 2000 that has been flawless, it's why I bought this one.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Cub Cadets aren't Cub Cadets anymore.

Back in the good old days, they were built by International Harvester and were TANKS!

They got bought out by MTD with the usual result of "cheapen the product, maximize profits, fuck the consumer."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Called Cub and they are completely useless.

Robert Moll, CEO
MTD Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 368022
Cleveland, OH 44136-9723

Phone: 330-225-2600
Fax: 330-225-0896

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all crap unless you shell out a bunch of money.

I've got a year old Husqvarna I bought because of the two year warranty and the service center will pick it up for free. Six of the 12 weeks of summer it was in the shop with transmission issues. It was extremely hard to change gears. Once it was fixed, the official recommendation from the service guy was to not cut so much grass. I have 3/4 of an acre. Apparently, they didn't design a lawn mower to be able to handle grass clippings.

The hydrostatic transmission also does not like my yard at all. It frequently just loses all power and won't move until I lift off the throttle and let it reset. I'm getting rid of the thing next spring before the warranty runs out.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
MTD completely turns everything to shit they touch.

My service center charges $25 to pick up and $25 to return on warranty service. My transaxle is completely blown, so I can't even drag it into my truck, it will have to be trailered.

I called the service center near me, 25 miles away, and they said they will just replace the transaxle instead of repairing if I get it to them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Robert Moll, CEO
MTD Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 368022
Cleveland, OH 44136-9723

WOAH! A straight to the point fax about being charged to transport a broken mower with 30 hours on it got their attention. Well that and my comments on the Cub Cadet FB page.

The "team leader" was notified and they called me after listening to our earlier very tense conversation.

They are sending a truck out to get it and bringing me a new mower.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Smoked 'em! Nice job!

And, good of them to step up. Just makes you sad they don't do so from the start.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The transaxle is completely locked up.

I just wanted them to replace the defective part. They initially REFUSED to have the service center pick it up and I was on the hook for transport for a mower that won't even budge and their piece of shit mower has 32 hours on it.

When you have an outside vendor that makes your shitty company look like shit, then your lack of customer service pisses off the pissed off customer even more and that pissed off pissed off customer goes straight for your social media page and home office, you then do damage control before he produces a youtube video.

I registered the mower with them when I bought it, but their "systems aren't compatible" so they couldn't verify my mower's purchase date by my name. I had to drive home, take a picture of the data plate and send it to them. The manufacture date by the serial has it as manufactured a WEEK before I bought it.

So WHY IN THE FUCK did I even register it if they can't use the registration?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Robert Moll, CEO
MTD Products, Inc.
P.O. Box 368022
Cleveland, OH 44136-9723

WOAH! A straight to the point fax about being charged to transport a broken mower with 30 hours on it got their attention. Well that and my comments on the Cub Cadet FB page.

The "team leader" was notified and they called me after listening to our earlier very tense conversation.

They are sending a truck out to get it and bringing me a new mower.
V-Tail's law: If normal channels don't get reasonable results, seek out the Big Kahuna / Top Dog. State your case calmly, stick to the facts. Gravity insures that poop flows downhill.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sell the replacement immediately and buy something better.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I paid $2000 for this thing and there's no way I will recover my full value.

I miss my old shitty looking reliable Craftsman.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Well, they did make it whole by replacing it. But as others have said, MTD has cheapen every companies products they have bought out.

The old Bolens were one of the best mowers in the old days due to the heavy duty construction. I watch the classifieds and have bought some for as low as $150 and it only needed a carb rebuild and front tires.

I have told this story before. My first Bolens engine was a victim of mice that built a nest inside the shroud and caused it to overheat. The results are an aluminum piston expanding and being damaged by the cast iron sleeve and loss of compression.

So I tear the engine down and take the block and crank to an ADVERTISED KOHLER DEALER to be bored and new pistons fitted and rods provided. Turns out they were not an authorized dealer and way overcharged me for the work they did.

So having worked for GE Mobile Radio and remembering the times we had a shop saying they were an authorized dealer and screwed over some customers, we had the lawyers pay them a visit.

So I wrote a letter to the Kohler President and told him about the work and charges and how in the long run, I would have been better off to have bought a new engine. I was only interested in having the shop shut down so it would not happen to someone else in the future.

About a month later, I get a phone call from a distributor in Richmond. He says he has a new Kohler KT17 engine for me and when is a good time to have it delivered? I couldn't believe it since nothing like that has ever happened to me in the past. So sometimes you never know how others feel about their customers.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

I concur.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
V tail is the man,he know how to get things done.
Old and crusty but sharp as a tac. Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The Tuff Torque transaxle is a piece of shit.
Every thing about it screams "lets see how bad we can make this thing".
My 2000 Cub has a Hydro-Gear and it's been trouble free for 17 years.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
V tail is ... Old and crusty
You got that right, brother!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Ok, I brought a new Cub last year. So far so good.
The TuffTorq axle is lightweight, and seems doomed to failure as-is. I hope I'm not screwing up posting an outside link, but there is a way to toughen it up if you can do a bit of your own work.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/fo...-guide-pictures.html
You may or may not choose to have an independent do this to your axle. Just to be clear I'm doing mine this winter. I'm not too concerned with warranty on the axle as I never have good luck with warranties in general.
Just to add the author of this post is apparently a seasoned veteran of axle wars. You might do well to seek out a local gearhead with experience in hydraulics and such.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
We rebuilt the transmission in my Ram 1500 that was exploded.
The mower axle will be a piece of cake.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
We rebuilt the transmission in my Ram 1500 that was exploded.
The mower axle will be a piece of cake.

I've done a couple of old PowerGlides and a Turbo350. But you can believe I'm going to be on my toes and using my digital camera as I dissect it. Smile

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Then you should do just fine!