SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nobody sells 5/8" plywood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nobody sells 5/8" plywood Login/Join 
posted
But they all sell 19/32. Big face palm for me. Learned something new.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 32nd saved here and there and soon it amounts to real money saved!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and!
I can't find 1 inch rebar , in less than a 20 ft. length. Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most wood varies by mill. A 2x4 is not a 2x4 anywhere, anymore.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and!
I can't find 1 inch rebar, in less than a 20 ft. length. Frown
Sounds like you might need this rebar cutter...Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I discovered this last summer when I was trying to match the sub-floor in my house. I searched the big box stores and finally resorted to going to a dedicated lumber store. They said they had it so I took a sheet home. There, I discovered it was the same 19/32 stuff that the box stores had but was twice the price.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
But they all sell 19/32. Big face palm for me. Learned something new.

I'm surprised they actually owned up and called it what it is. For many years now, the thicknesses of plywood have shrunk and are mostly 1/32" less than nominal (some even less). But for the longest time they've clung to the nominal size as what they call it, i.e., 3/4", 5/8", 1/2" which have really been 23/32", 19/32", and 15/32" all that time. You may still find true thicknesses in some products, such as Baltic Birch ply (but it's been a while since I've handled any of that, so it may be shrinking as well).

For solid lumber, there is a good explanation for the difference. A 2" x 4" is really that size when it is rough cut at the mill (or used to be), but no one wants rough cut lumber, so it is surfaced to make a nice smooth product. The amount they "steal" when rough cutting and surfacing has been increasing, though. 4/4" lumber used to be surfaced to 13/16" thick, then 3/4", and now 11/16" or even 5/8". The neighbor who just built a shed for my wife said he noticed in some lumber places 2" x 4"s that were actually 1.5" x 3.25".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
for every 32 sheets they get to sell a extra one... in the shop we had to put a micrometer and physically check each sheet of material to verify thickness for the CNC ROUTER to make sure that the cutter was not too
shallow and not cut thru or too deep and damage the table top....... ..............drill sgt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. I have a set of these to help deal with it when I want to make a fitted dado/groove that actually fits.

Undersized Router Bits

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I discovered this last summer when I was trying to match the sub-floor in my house. I searched the big box stores and finally resorted to going to a dedicated lumber store. They said they had it so I took a sheet home. There, I discovered it was the same 19/32 stuff that the box stores had but was twice the price.

Exactly what I was trying to do. Luckily Google saved me from calling the real lumber store. I cut out a little square and took it to Home Depot to verify the size.

I have a late 80's Ryan (big builder, cookie cutter) home. I was concerned they had some special run of plywood to keep costs down that I would never match.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
You may still find true thicknesses in some products, such as Baltic Birch ply (but it's been a while since I've handled any of that, so it may be shrinking as well).

It’s my understanding that true Baltic Birch is measured in mm and not fractions of an inch. I know I was cautioned with that bit of advice when I was proposing mixing Baltic Birch with some other plywood products. I haven’t used much of it as most of the projects where I would have used it would work fine with plywood from Home Depot or Lowe’s that is much more easily obtained.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
erj ,
I found 5/8 inch, grade 60, at the local menards,( still in 20' lengths)

but they won't cut it ,
they said NOT to rent a cutter like you have pictured, but to rent a grinder and buy a special blade to make the cuts.

jury is still out on what I am gonna do

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
it has nothing to do with saving a sheet it's all about the thickness coming out of the sander, no such thing as 3/4, 5/8 or half they are always been under size.

Posts: 5588 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
it has nothing to do with saving a sheet it's all about the thickness coming out of the sander, no such thing as 3/4, 5/8 or half they are always been under size.

I have to politely disagree about the "always" part. I can recall building cabinets in the 1970's, when a 3/4" piece of plywood actually fit well in a 3/4" dado (using a stacked dado set).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have to politely disagree about the "always" part. I can recall building cabinets in the 1970's, when a 3/4" piece of plywood actually fit well in a 3/4" dado (using a stacked dado set).

correct in the 1970's Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

And 2x4's were 2"x4". I own a 4 plex built in 1966 that's CBS construction and took a bathroom down to the studs last year to completely remodel it, it was amazing to see how nice of a wood the 2x4's were made out of. Makes that crap you see at Lowe's that's full of knots look like fire wood.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
And 2x4's were 2"x4". I own a 4 plex built in 1966 that's CBS construction and took a bathroom down to the studs last year to completely remodel it, it was amazing to see how nice of a wood the 2x4's were made out of. Makes that crap you see at Lowe's that's full of knots look like fire wood.

The wood in my house built in 1908 is nothing short of amazing. 2x10s , 2x12s, 2x4s are all rough cut and knot free. There are three Douglas fir beams in the basement that measure 8x12"x10'. All heartwood. Its amazing the materials used in this place.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2x4 can be had if you just want them rough sawn im sure the ones in your house are rough. I did a remodel on a house once, we tore the wall open they didnt have long enough 2x4's when the built it so each stud was sitting on a piece of firewood, do what you got to do I guess.