SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Virginia "Highway Use Fee"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia "Highway Use Fee" Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
Fuel efficiency is promoted on many levels... But at the same time penalized by the VA DMV...

o To paraphrase; You don't burn enough fuel, so you are not paying enough taxes via tax on fuel so here is another $46.39 fee to (and I quote) "Ensure a more fair contribution"

o PS: government vehicles are exempt, [regulations do not apply to the kings men as usual]

Va. Code §§ 46.2-770, § 46.2-771, and § 46.2-772 The purpose of the highway use fee is to ensure a more fair contribution to the Commonwealth Transportation Fund from fuel-efficient and electric vehicles using highways in the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth Transportation Fund is funded, in part, by motor fuels taxes. The highway use fee is effective July 1, 2020 and will be updated on a yearly basis.
“Fuel-efficient vehicles” are defined as vehicles that have a combined fuel economy of 25 miles per gallon (MPG) or greater, while, “electric motor vehicles" are defined to mean vehicles that use electricity as the only source of motive power. In addition to a vehicle’s combined MPG rating, two other factors are considered when calculating highway use fees: (1) the fuels tax rate at the time the vehicle is registered, and (2) the average number of miles traveled by a passenger vehicle in Virginia. Electric vehicles are required to pay a fixed highway use fee, which is currently $88.20, to reflect the amount in fuels taxes electric vehicles will not pay during a single year due to not purchasing motor fuel. The highway use fee for fuel-efficient vehicles, or vehicles manufactured in a year in which the average combined MPG rating for all of the vehicles produced in that year is 25 MPG or greater, is calculated to reflect the difference between the amount of fuels tax that the vehicle pays in a single year, based on its combined fuel efficiency, and the fuels tax paid by a vehicle with a combined fuel efficiency of 23.7 MPG. DMV uses the combined fuel rating as provided by the manufacturer to determine if a vehicle is subject to the highway use fee. If the combined fuel rating is not available for a vehicle, DMV uses the estimated average fuel economy as determined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for all cars of the same model year and all trucks of the same model year with a gross weight between 6,000 and 10,000 pounds.
The following vehicles are exempt from the highway use fee: Vehicles with a combined miles per gallon rating less than 25 MPG; Autocycles; Motorcycles; Mopeds; A vehicle with a gross weight greater than 10,000 pounds; A vehicle that is owned by a governmental entity; A vehicle registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Speedbird,

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
So government-owned vehicles do not contribute to highway wear and tear, and are exempt from this tax? Same as vehicles that are registered in other states but use Virginia highways?

Makes sense to me! Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
To summarize, if you want to own and drive a vehicle in VA this is what you have to do. First of course generate some cash (Minus federal tax, state tax, Medicade, FICA and real estate taxes of course) and/or borrow cash (Well get those taxes from you as you pay the loan off). Then be prepared to fork over:

o $32 for VA drivers Lisc. (Good for 8 years, +$10 for REAL ID, +$5 fee if you walk into the DMV)
o 4.15% sales tax on vehicle at time of sale (One time fee)
o $25 for regular license plates (One time fee, personalized or special plates extra)
o $15 title fee (One time fee to print and file a piece of fancy paper. Expensive paper right?)
o $46.39 VA Highway use fee (Annual fee, applicable to nearly all, billed by default, Hybrid vehicles are even more!)
o 4.13% Personal Property Tax (Annual fee , billed every 6 mo based on "Fair Market Value")
o $0.212 per gallon Gasoline Tax
o 5.3% sales tax on the gas itself

o Finally, a $39.75 annual registration fee (+$5 if you choose to pay the fee in person). This one really chaps my ass... this is a piece of paper and two little stickers. If you have not paid all of the other fees and taxes (To include state income taxes or other debts due the state) you cannot get the sticker. Not having the sticker gets you pulled over. If you are pulled over for any reason you will have to show proof that the sticker is valid. vehicle registration.) This $39 sticker is basically a badge (Motivational Patch?) that says "I am a good servant of the state and have paid all my fees and taxes"

The death of a thousand cuts Mad

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with the personal property tax...what is it charged on?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here in NH it's based on the town's tax rate. We pay a fee to the state which is fixed and another to the town based on their rate. It's paid at one time in one sum.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

It is an annual tax on basically any motorized or wheeled thing with a title i.e. Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, RVs, Airplanes, recreational vehicles (Yes even if a dirt bike you only ride on your own personal property. Or a project car that may sit in your garage for years. ALSO: "Machinery and Tools", Mobile Homes, and "Business Equipment" (<4.8%)

Rate varies by type and value. There is a "Relief" of up to 38.5% for personal use only vehicles up to $20k (Provided you are in good standing).

Basically you are paying sales tax on vehicles and the like every year.

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post

This is mine from 2nd half of 2019: $767 tax for things I already bought (With taxed income) and paid sales tax on already Mad

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
How are we to be billed for this "Highway Use Fee"?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
How are we to be billed for this "Highway Use Fee"?

It is now part of DVM Registration fee: $46 for vehicles that >25 MPG or $88 for Hybrid/Battery vehicles.

I believe it is billed by default, my Tacoma is rated at 23 MPG but still got hit with it, maybe they use EPA mpg rate for the based model (4cyl 2WD, that is >25mpg)

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Giant avatar alert:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
next election work to get the demorats out.
They know one thing ,money grab at any price.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
4.13% Personal Property Tax (Annual fee , billed every 6 mo based on "Fair Market Value")

If I'm reading this correctly, on a, let's say, $20K car (which is a fairly modest car these days) you pay over $800 in tax? Jesus. Roll Eyes I used to pay $3-400 for car registration in CA, NV and AZ and thought that was bad.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... If I understand you Virginians correctly, you guys are paying as much as 1500 bucks a year to drive?
Outrageous.
That kind of tyranny and taxation brought about the American Revolution. Some Virginians led the charge in that, IIRC.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah, um, about that.... If the original Colonists thought Taxation Without Representation was bad then, they'd be aghast now to see Taxation WITH Representation.

And that's no joke!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

Here in NH it's based on the town's tax rate. We pay a fee to the state which is fixed and another to the town based on their rate. It's paid at one time in one sum.

Come to think of it, in Texas the Personal Property Tax is based on equipment and things that can produce income, even if not doing so. Apparently Texas state law allows the person in charge in each county to enter any place to check for such. It supposedly funds the County entitities.

Perhaps a Texan, or a Texas Attorney may pop in to elaborate on this.

I

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The man wants his tax money and he's just working to get it from your pockets....

And yes, VA taxes you on shit you own and already paid sales taxes on.

Render under Cesar Coonhound to the Commonwealth!

I moved out of VA to FL, kept the same job (remotely) and essentially got a 10% raise from dropping income taxes (5%) and all these Personal Property and other random taxes... Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Correct, My 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4WD TRD O/R (w63k miles) is taxed at a value of $28,275

Keeping in mind I already paid income taxes and $1,500 in sales taxes/fees when I bought it..

Assuming I drive my average of 18,000 miles a year and our state gas tax does not go up and good citizens like me continue to receive a partial "Tax Relief" discount:

My truck alone 2020 is going to cost me: $1,292.08 in taxes and fees Mad

This place has gotten out of control... I hear you RHINOWSO, as soon as this COVID stuff blows over and the possibility of a transfer comes back we are gunning hard for FL! (Sad, I really used to love Virginia. I have 18 years+ the Virginia Army National Guard... It's just sad)

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
So... If I understand you Virginians correctly, you guys are paying as much as 1500 bucks a year to drive?
Outrageous.
That kind of tyranny and taxation brought about the American Revolution. Some Virginians led the charge in that, IIRC.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
took a trip up to Albany to go thru an estate and buy the majority of it,

I'm a VA resident,

so, 95 north, and stayed off the HOV/Express lanes on the way up, only paid the toll on Powhite parkway thru RVA

no tolls till I got to Maryland around Baltimore (IIRC, )
then another in Delaware,
then a couple in NJ,
then a couple in NY,

we took 295 around philly on the way up, but not on the way back,

may have been another toll there,

hit DC about 4pm on the way back and paid for the express,

I would bet that any cash saved on personal property taxes etc in those states is offset by the cost of driving on the interstates and highways,,,,
I'll need to pull up my Smart Tag/EZ Pass account to see , but betting $50 in tolls or more

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lots of states have personal property taxes on vehicles, KY, KS, VA etc, I remember friends from OH paying $45 for the same vehicle in KY that was $400...

Imagine a lot of these fees will go up as EV's take over and gas use drops, meaning gas taxes drop...

FL has a higher gas tax than many states, so we pay for our roads by use, no personal property taxes on vehicles my 16 HD was $27 for the year, pickup, $75

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I get charged a unsecured property tax on my Jet Ski every year out here in CA.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post