SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Virginia "Highway Use Fee"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia "Highway Use Fee" Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
LOL. Keep voting in those democrats!

I know most of you here certainly didn't vote for them, but that IS the issue; Democrats. Tax and Spend demos.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Well, that sucks.

But - lets keep thing relative.
Tell us about your property taxes in VA.

And how much you have to spend to insure those 5 vehicles.

I'm willing to bet that many of us are getting equally hosed, but in somewhat different methods, by our Democrat-run states.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we first moved to the Richmond area from Cols OH it blew my mind when I had to pay a property tax and have my vehicle inspected.

I didn't know anything about until I was with my FTO on patrol. He kept saying there is an expired inspection sticker, or they need to update their county sticker etc.. One day I hit the brakes and asked him what he was talking about. He then told me.

We first moved to Hanover, VA and I had a 1993 Ford Ranger that was paid for and it cost me about $39 or so. The next year we moved to the Richmond City limits and it jumped to $185 or more.

I really miss Virginia, and I am sorry we ever moved from VA to NC. With what has transpired the last few months it makes me hard to contemplate ever going back.

The taxes keep going up and just wait till Civil War tourism tanks and the lost of all that revenue.
The cost of living will really sky rocket.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And my sister doesn't understand why I want to move to Bristol, Tn when I retire instead of Lexington, VA where she lives. IMO what Virginia should really do is require the NOVA residents have to pay much higher taxes than residents in other areas of the state. Because it's the wackado Liberals in NOVA that drive all the spending on wackado programs so it's only fair that those who come up with the spending schemes pay for those schemes.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh the MVD is a great place isn't it?

Where we are in Maricopa County you are required to pass vehicle emissions every 2 years (luckily on OBD2 cars pretty much the only thing you can fail for is having a check engine light on). I live in Pinal County, which doesn't have to go through emissions, except the small portion of Pinal county I live in they tell me I need to go to Maricopa and pass emissions to register my vehicle because I'm right on the border of Maricopa/Pinal. The MVD just makes shit up and your only choice is bow down or don't drive. It sucks. My only problem with having to go through emissions is the sometimes hour+ wait to take my car through and the $25 the charge to hook up their OBD code reader to my car to tell me there's no check engine light.

I am glad we aren't like some states that have rigorous yearly safety inspections to deal with.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I get charged a unsecured property tax on my Jet Ski every year out here in CA.

I pay personal property taxes on my boat trailer,

maybe 10 bucks or so, but not the boat (16' Gheenoe,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
I’m not familiar with the personal property tax...what is it charged on?

Here in NH it's based on the town's tax rate. We pay a fee to the state which is fixed and another to the town based on their rate. It's paid at one time in one sum.

Actually, that's NOT correct! The personal property tax on vehicles is paid to the town, but is NOT set by the town, and has nothing to do with any 'town tax rate' per se. The annual tax rate is a sliding scale based on the MSRP and the age of the vehicle. For the current model year the rate is $18/$1000 of the MSRP. The rate drops annually in $3 increments; $15, $12, $9, $6, and bottoms out at $3 after the vehicle is 5 years old. In all future years, the vehicle is taxed at the $3/$1000 rate.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8883 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand the objections here. Traditionally, highway funding has been paid out of taxes on the fuel; gasoline, diesel, propane, or natural gas. As vehicles that use significantly less of these fuels, or that use none of these fuels, become prevalent, the funding source for highway building and upkeep decreases. Put another way, electric vehicle operators are being subsidized by traditional fuel users.

What would you rather have? A continuation of the “free ride” by these alternative/high efficiency vehicles? Highway funds subsidized from the general fund? A per mile use tax assessed every quarter, like commercial trucks pay? If we make it to 100% electric, should we have zero funding for the highway trust fund?

I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but I also don’t like people who want to pay zero taxes by offloading their share on another group. A once-yearly use fee sure beats the alternative, which is a per-mile tax, using trackers on everybody’s car.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t understand the objections here. Traditionally, highway funding has been paid out of taxes on the fuel; gasoline, diesel, propane, or natural gas. As vehicles that use significantly less of these fuels, or that use none of these fuels, become prevalent, the funding source for highway building and upkeep decreases. Put another way, electric vehicle operators are being subsidized by traditional fuel users.

What would you rather have? A continuation of the “free ride” by these alternative/high efficiency vehicles? Highway funds subsidized from the general fund? A per mile use tax assessed every quarter, like commercial trucks pay? If we make it to 100% electric, should we have zero funding for the highway trust fund?

I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but I also don’t like people who want to pay zero taxes by offloading their share on another group. A once-yearly use fee sure beats the alternative, which is a per-mile tax, using trackers on everybody’s car.

One objection is that in many states these taxes can be diverted to the General Fund. So, they don't get used to maintain roads, they go to support some liberal do gooders pet project, that just happens to employ a lot of his relatives.

The other objection is that for some reason the roads seem to get worse with every passing year.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Im in one of the lucky counties that gets an extra $50 or so slapped onto our car registration fees to pay for the train.

Kinda backwards aint it? It should be the people WITHOUT cars, paying for the train.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont mind paying a reasonable fee to the state for road use.
"Reasonable" is not 1500 bucks a year.
And here in MI, the problem is the money is shifted to other BS projects and our roads are like goat trails.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the insurance rates here are worse than rape.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post