SIGforum
"Plant Based"

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7280064364

November 22, 2019, 02:46 PM
PASig
"Plant Based"
Another annoying marketing term that everyone has jumped on now that I'm sick of hearing.

When you see BK and DD pushing "plant based", you know it's jumped the shark.

If vegans and vegetarians hate meat so much, so do we spend so much time and energy trying to make things that look and taste like it for them?

November 22, 2019, 02:57 PM
ArtieS
I worked in the upper reaches of the QSR industry for 7 years.

You do this stuff because: (i) a substantial number of customers want these products; (ii) having this stuff on your menu prevents the vegetarian veto of one person in a 4 person car making the entire group go somewhere else; (iii) look at the calorie difference between the meat option and the non-meat option which matters for a lot of people; and (iv) for the market differentiation / public relations / health press / government in your shorts / problems that activists put on the QSR industry.

These companies invest in these products because they matter to their business model. It's not any kind of a political statement.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
November 22, 2019, 06:00 PM
airsoft guy
Lots of folks are vegetarian or vegan not because they hate meat, but because they might have to live by that diet, health reasons, or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
November 22, 2019, 08:02 PM
apprentice
Although I don't mind having the option, the commercials do come off as annoying. Maybe it's just the repetition?

Perhaps - and this is a total long shot - they will become popular enough to reduce the cost of meat. Even a little bit would be welcome at this point.
November 23, 2019, 06:35 AM
Fredward
If people are vegan for their health, that's a fail. We are not herbivores.

If the food industries business model dictates plant based options, in two or three years we'll see if the model was effective. My guess is no. I know exactly ONE person who ate and liked the Impossible Burger, and he has gout and cannot eat ground meat.
November 23, 2019, 10:29 AM
gpbst3
Ill do you one better. I bought some body was and find gluten free predominately placed on the label. Is that a thing. Your not eating the soap are you?

November 23, 2019, 10:58 AM
hvyhawler
My daughter, growing up had asthma, headaches, stuff like that. Couldn't play sports because of it. Doctors...try this pill, try that pill. Nothing worked. She switched her diet (on her own) to meat and dairy free (vegan). No headaches, can hike run, basically do what she wants. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. She had allergy testing done and was allergic to many food sources. Having her for dinner isn't hard, add vegan butter instead of regular, substitute this for that. The diet is not for me, but you do what you have to do...
November 23, 2019, 11:59 AM
Lefty Sig
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
My daughter, growing up had asthma, headaches, stuff like that. Couldn't play sports because of it. Doctors...try this pill, try that pill. Nothing worked. She switched her diet (on her own) to meat and dairy free (vegan). No headaches, can hike run, basically do what she wants. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. She had allergy testing done and was allergic to many food sources. Having her for dinner isn't hard, add vegan butter instead of regular, substitute this for that. The diet is not for me, but you do what you have to do...

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that it's not meat or diary, it's what we feed or inject into the animals that is causing us problems. I am not an "organic" obsessive, because lots of organic products are no better for you, sometimes worse, and the term is used inconsistently.

But when you see meat in other countries, like chicken, that hasn't been loaded up with growth hormone, steroids, and what have you, compared to what we have here, you have to wonder...
November 23, 2019, 12:07 PM
Skins2881
I love plant based food. Have you ever tried cow? One of my favorite plant based foods. Especially grass fed, but grain fed is also good too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 23, 2019, 12:45 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

when you see meat in other countries, like chicken, that hasn't been loaded up with growth hormone, steroids, and what have you, compared to what we have here, you have to wonder.
True. I spent a year and a half working in Spain. Neighborhood delis had chicken roasting on rotisseries. Absolutely great! (Cheap, too.)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
November 23, 2019, 01:07 PM
flesheatingvirus

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
November 23, 2019, 03:11 PM
erj_pilot
I’m drawing the line at “plant based” BUTTER?!?!? Yeah...no thanks. Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
November 23, 2019, 03:21 PM
229DAK
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I know exactly ONE person who ate and liked the Impossible Burger....

But look at all the shit they put in it; stuff you can't pronounce. About 29% more calories than a beef patty. And the sodium content! Yikes!

Check it out.

November 23, 2019, 03:40 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that it's not meat or diary, it's what we feed or inject into the animals that is causing us problems. I am not an "organic" obsessive, because lots of organic products are no better for you, sometimes worse, and the term is used inconsistently.

But when you see meat in other countries, like chicken, that hasn't been loaded up with growth hormone, steroids, and what have you, compared to what we have here, you have to wonder...

There are a lot of diseases people get in those "other" countries from food that we do not get here. They are immune to some of them because that is what they're raised on and their body has developed tolerances to them, but not all. We never got mad cow disease here in our beef, and neither did anyone that consumes beef in the U.S. for example. Most people wouldn't want to eat beef from most other countries because it is tough and sucks.

As for the U.S., meat producers have to stop giving animals hormones and medicine for a period of time before they are sent to market so that all of it is out of their system. One of my former customers is the largest cattle feeders in the world, if not the largest. He told me more about cattle than I ever wanted to know or listen to. That being said, animals cannot be given antibiotics or any hormones for a period of time called a withdrawal period before they're sent to market. The withdrawal period ensures all antibiotics are out of the food animals system before they go to market. Also in 2012 the FDA put restrictions on using antibiotics on food animals. Central American chicken tastes much better and is tender, but their beef is horrible overall.

I really don't know how, if any the way food animals are raised in the U.S. would negatively impact humans health. If some people want to eat plant based fake burgers and such, they can go for it. Most have a bunch of man made and fake ingredients and other crap in it. I'll stick to a real hamburger, and eat them in moderation. The health world goes back and forth like the wind blows on whether something is healthy or not healthy...….eggs, red meat, nuts.....etc.
November 23, 2019, 04:09 PM
ChuckFinley
Cows are plant based.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis
November 23, 2019, 06:37 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Yeah...that’s margarine with a trendy new name. Roll Eyes

November 23, 2019, 07:04 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There are a lot of diseases people get in those "other" countries from food that we do not get here. They are immune to some of them because that is what they're raised on and their body has developed tolerances to them, but not all. We never got mad cow disease here in our beef, and neither did anyone that consumes beef in the U.S. for example. Most people wouldn't want to eat beef from most other countries because it is tough and sucks.

Unfortunately, we (as consumers) don’t get to choose.
quote:
But U.S. consumers have no way of knowing whether the beef in their local grocery store comes from Brazil. That’s because while the USDA requires some meat imports to be labeled, beef and pork became exempt last year following Congress’s repeal of the country-of-origin labeling (COOL) law. COOL was—and is—supported by many U.S. ranchers and food safety advocates. But the regulations ran afoul of World Trade Organization (WTO) rules and would have resulted in massive tariffs on U.S. products, prompting lawmakers to rescind the rule.

Link
Worse, under current regulations, beef and pork raised outside of the U.S. but processed here can be labeled “Product of USA.”

I wrote my senators and have thus far heard from John Barraso. Here is his reply.
quote:
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is good to hear from you.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts regarding Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) regulations. Several times over the past several years, the World Trade Organization (WTO) ruled that the United States' mandatory COOL program violated international trade rules and caused harm to the Canadian and Mexican economies. Following the final ruling in May 2015, Canada and Mexico initiated arbitration, during which the WTO was able to determine the level of retaliatory tariffs that Canada and Mexico could place on American goods. In December 2015, the WTO published their findings, indicating that Canada and Mexico were eligible to implement $1.01 billion worth of tariffs each year.

Congress took steps to avoid those retaliatory tariffs and in December 2015, passed an omnibus with a provision to repeal mandatory COOL requirements for pork and beef. This provision prevented costly retaliation from our North American trading partners which would have harmed American producers and consumers alike.

There is no doubt American agriculture policy is an important part of daily life in Wyoming. I believe American farmers and ranchers produce the highest quality meats, vegetables, grains, and fibers. Those products should be readily available to American consumers. Our trade policy should focus on making these high quality products available to consumers in other countries as well. The best way to protect American producers is to open new markets and place pressure on these other markets, not on our own businesses and consumers.

Ultimately, I believe it is important for consumers to have reliable information about their food and for producers to have a healthy economy in which to produce their products. Addressing these priorities and finding a workable solution is key to preventing unnecessary damage to American producers at home.

I also appreciated hearing your thoughts on S.2744, a bill that would amend the Federal Meat Inspection Act to modify requirements for a meat food product from cattle to bear a "Product of U.S.A." label. Introduced on October 30, 2019 by Senator Mike Rounds (R-SD), S.2744 was referred to the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry where it awaits further consideration. Although I am not a member of that committee, please know I will keep your support in mind as I continue my work in the Senate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I value your input and look forward to hearing from you in the future.
John Barrasso, M.D.
United States Senator

November 24, 2019, 12:30 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
But always remember “Arby’s has the meats”!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
November 24, 2019, 03:09 PM
2BobTanner
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Yeah...that’s margarine with a trendy new name. Roll Eyes

I’d like to see how that plays in Wisconsin with their dairy laws.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken