SIGforum
Brand new power supply not working

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/7280057674

November 18, 2020, 05:56 PM
PHPaul
Brand new power supply not working
Back in August, I ordered a nice little power supply from Amazon. 0-24vdc, 0-10 amps, constant voltage/constant current capabilities. I do a little putzing around with electronics and figured it'd be handy.

No immediate need for it, so I put it on the shelf.

Wanted to try something with it tonight. My usual power source for electrolytic de-rusting is a battery charger. For some reason, it wasn't working tonight so I thought it'd be a good chance to check out my P/S.

Hooked it up, plugged it in and...nada. No lights, no fan, no output. "Well, shit," sez I, "I should have checked it out as soon as I unpacked it. No way they'll take it back now."

I figured I had nothing to lose (loose? Razz ) by popping the cover off and checking it out. Put a meter across the AC connector on the inside of the case and...nada. WTF? I know that outlet is hot, the work lamp is on. Already checked the fuse, it's good. You don't suppose...nah...but I better check it out to be sure.

Yup, sure enough, bad power cord. Hot lead open. Grabbed one off a computer power supply I use as a 5v source and PRESTO, it's working. Bumped it up to 24v @ 1.5 amps and the electrolysis tub is working now too.

First time I've seen that one.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
November 18, 2020, 06:26 PM
radioman
I've had a number of those computer type cords where the Hot and Neutral are swapped due to the connector installed wrong at the factory.

doesn't matter to most people, but it matters to me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!