SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mac OS 10.15.. "Catalina"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OS 10.15.. "Catalina" Login/Join 
posted
*&^$# upgrade deleted most of my bookmark passwords.

Grrrrr....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until you try to use your older generation MS Office (for Mac) programs and discover that you can't use them anymore...

Double, triple, quadruple GRRRR

Wonder if there is a way to undo the update.

Sigh....

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:

Sigh....

Yes. Reinstall from the backup copy you made before the update. Wink

It is no secret that High Sierra was the last OS fully supporting 32 bit applications, and that Catalina would drop 32 bit support entirely. Before upgrading to Catalina, you should be aware that you will loose all of your 32 bit apps.

To see what those apps are, do the following:

-Click on the Apple icon in the top left
-Select "About this Mac"
-Click the button "System Report"
-Look in the "Software" group. Click on "Applications"
-Give a minute to think, it takes a little while.
-In the top right is a column labeled "64-bit(Intel). Click that label to sort the entries by this label.
-Scroll through looking for any applications labeled "No".

The applications labeled "No" are 32 bit, and are the ones that will not work **AT ALL** under Catalina.

As for me, I'll be sitting here on High Sierra until forced to upgrade, all while kicking and screaming.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have heard of other issue with this initial release of Catalina, too. This is the first time I can recall that a Supplemental Update was needed for an initial release. Problems with Mail, losing mail, is what I've heard the most about.

I've installed Catalina on an external bootable drive, and also as a Fusion VM, and am playing around with it with the apps I use. I will upgrade both of those as each point release comes along. In the past few years, I have waited out the whole year on the "prior" version on the two machines I use daily (still on Mojave), until the new release reaches its final point, usually .6, and then install it, unless it simply offers nothing new I want or need.

imadat, you can install the version of macOS that came originally on your machine, using Internet Recovery mode. This is not the same as regular Recovery Mode. In effect this downgrades you away from Catalina, unless yours is a brand new Mac that came with Catalina already installed. You can never downgrade below what came on the Mac when it was new. If yours came with a version that is several versions old, you can then upgrade it to whatever level you want, after you perform the Internet Recovery.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Sigh....

It is no secret that High Sierra was the last OS fully supporting 32 bit applications, and that Catalina would drop 32 bit support entirely. Before upgrading to Catalina, you should be aware that you will loose all of your 32 bit apps.

-Select "About this Mac"
-In the top right is a column labeled "64-bit(Intel). Click that label to sort the entries by this label.

The applications labeled "No" are 32 bit, and are the ones that will not work **AT ALL** under Catalina.

As for me, I'll be sitting here on High Sierra until forced to upgrade, all while kicking and screaming.

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote won't work? Really??!!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Holding off updating because of the no more 32 bit apps.

I have stand alone versions of Microsoft Office 2011 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 neither will work on Catalina yet I still use.

I may look into partitioning my 1TB SSD on my laptop and creating a dual boot. I still have a 2002 G4 desktop running dual boots 9.x Classic and OS 10 they runs my vinyl cutter software because it won't run on OSX or newer and it ain't worth it to me to update.

I'm not doing a subscription for either software...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
(I did the 2nd drive install as a test as well)... Ran very smoothly on a 2012 Macbook Pro.

Among others, Little Snitch does not like OS Catalina at all... Latest LS release is 4.4.3.
Will miss the old 32 bit Quicktime player 7.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait until you try to use your older generation MS Office (for Mac) programs and discover that you can't use them anymore.
quote:
I have stand alone versions of Microsoft Office 2011 and Adobe Illustrator CS5 neither will work on Catalina
Re Microsoft Office, I have not yet discovered anything that I can't do with LibreOffice, which is free. FREE! It might not satisfy everybody's needs, but it's worth a try. Did I mention that it is FREE?

I do not use Adobe Illustrator, I have not found a need for anything like that, but there are five or six free alternatives that pop up on a Google search: free alternative to adobe illustrator.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Upgrade went ok. What was itunes is getting less buggie. I can now change songs, it seems to have stopped freezing and will quit when I want it to.
My current annoyance is that it keeps dropping my bluetooth speaker. Or perhaps the neighbors have finally heard me singing in the shower.

For the age of my Mac, 2013, I am surprised that it runs at all. I guess I'll put it on my laptop, 2019, this weekend.

Posts: 307 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm a Mac guy since the original debuted in 1984. For most of the upgrades, I charged straight ahead, damn the torpedoes! Most of the time, upgrades were uneventful.

But I've held off on Catalina. The loss of 32-bit applications is a real, but minor inconvenience. And I don't blame Apple for this -- developers have had YEARS to update their programs to 64-bit architecture. Shame on them, not Apple.

The main reason I'm hesitant to upgrade is that Apple isn't giving me anything I want with Catalina. I don't subscribe to Apple Music or Apple TV, I don't use Photos, Sidecar is nice, but I have Duet (that I rarely use), Find My, just like the rest of the "updates" serves mostly to further embed my life into the Apple ecosphere.

I currently have five Macs. One of them will be my guinea pig; but I've taken precautionary steps.

1) I have Parallels Desktop for Mac. I've made a virtual Mac from the 10.14.6 backup partition. So I have a fully functional backup machine running in a VM, if I need 32-bit program access.
2) I purchased Carbon Copy Cloner ($39.99 for a personal/household license) and I'm using it to keep a BOOTABLE backup of my High Sierra computer. That way, if I don't like the upgrade, I can revert back using CCC.
3) I have several large hard disks that I have partitioned into bootable slices so I can keep several Carbon Copy Cloner backups for my various machines.

I haven't always been this cautious, but I have a set routine and my needs for stable and reliable computing is essential. I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" to Catalina, but when I do, I'll be comfortable doing so.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've seen numerous articles about Mac OS 10.15 and iOS 13 being extremely buggy and hosing people's devices up right and left.

Seems Apple is in a rush more to release "updates" that aren't ready for prime time.

Apple iOS 13.1.3 Is Causing Serious New iPhone Failures

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sigh....

-Select "About this Mac"

I very much appreciate this thread, and this post. Only issue I have is my scanner, which doesn't have a compatible software update. That would have sucked.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote won't work? Really??!!

I suspect it's just the currently installed versions. Once upgraded, won't an updated version download??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Published on TidBITs, a Mac-focused journal in publication for over 29 years, Six Reasons Why iOS 13 and Catalina Are So Buggy, written by an Apple software engineer for 18 years.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pages still works for me. Never use numbers or keynotes.

BUT, the upgrade didn't delete my bookmarks, exactly, just removed them from "untitled Bookmarks."

I could still get them by clicking on "view bookmarks bar."

Inconvenient and I moved them, one at a time, back to where I wanted them.

So far, that's the only annoying thing I've seen.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We just sent out a company wide notice about not updating to ios 13. We have had iPads require being reset to factory settings and one that i know of required the firmware to be reloaded after being updated.
With 1,500+ iPads issued in just the Jacksonville campus it may get ugly. Makes me think that leaving the mobility program and going back to manufacturing was a good thing.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sigh....

-Select "About this Mac"

Thanks for this. I'm really good with ios but very weak with iox.

I only have 2 32bit apps listed and I have no idea what they do. Inkserver and quicklookd32.

I'll have to google them later to see what they are but I don't plan on updating the OS anytime soon.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about OS12.4.2 update for the Ipod touch. Any issues there? Apple is informing that I MUST update to that OS.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have OS Mojave 10.14.6 on my Mini and Macbook Pro and I will not update to 10.15. I do not feel like giving up Office 2011, it works perfectly for my needs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
I upgraded. Still have my bookmarks and MS Office still works.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 647 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Well, crap glad I haven't updated.

Looks like my older Lightroom 4 will be dead and my older Office will not work.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post