SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mac OS 10.15.. "Catalina"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac OS 10.15.. "Catalina" Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Well, crap glad I haven't updated.

Looks like my older Lightroom 4 will be dead and my older Office will not work.

This happens with every new version of macOS. New features in the OS require adjustments. Some vendors simply incorporate the features into their current version with a point upgrade. Others create a new version line that require a paid upgrade fee. Frown Adobe is firmly into the paid upgrade, which is why I no longer use any Adobe product. That and their emphasis on moving everything to the "cloud", even with stand alone products. Backup software is having to make the biggest adjustments with Catalina, due to Catalina creating a separate read-only System volume, in addition to the user volume.

I have found you can edit files in the System volume. Turn off SIP, and, as root, make the volume writable (mount -uw /). I say "as root" because you will want to be editing those System plist files as root, anyway. After a reboot, the System volume returns to read only.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
I upgraded. Still have my bookmarks and MS Office still works.

What version of MS Office do you have??

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another update.....OS10.15.1 with bugs no doubt, to fix the OS10.15.0 bugs...

IMO, Apple is trying real hard to become a royal PITA like Microsoft.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Another update.....OS10.15.1 with bugs no doubt, to fix the OS10.15.0 bugs...

Other than the fact that 10.15.0 was the first I can recall to have a Supplemental Update for the .0 release, the point releases each year follow a predictable pattern. They are spaced a little differently each year, but you usually have .5 by late spring/early summer, and the final .6 in late August or September, just about the time they release the next new version.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's sucking for me. Office is dead (unless I subscribe) and my 500 dollar Fujitsu scanner is no longer compatible, but Fujitsu assures me their newest model will work. For another 500 bucks.

UPDATE: My bad. Fujitsu will someday make a comparable 500 dollar scanner, but their new 900 dollar scanner will work! Great news!/s

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Fredward,

I still use a Canon 9950F scanner with both Windows and Mac. (Canon says there are no drivers but that's simply not true). There are a number of ways to do it for older high-end scanners and printers.
(Vuescan works just fine).

Check this out-

Here is how to use your older scanners with macOS Catalina

by Jonny Evans · October 14, 2019

If you’ve just upgraded to macOS Catalina only to find your scanner no longer works because it relies on 32-bit drivers and – despite plenty of warning – the manufacturers have failed to ship 64-bit replacements, then help is at hand:

Hamrick Software VueScan can save you

The issue is that macOS Catalina requires that software be 64-bit and include additional code-signing, and lots of older scanners lack this.

Hamrick Software’s VueScan is the world’s most widely used scanning software with an excellent t reputation built across 20-years. VueScan 9.7 enables Mac OS Catalina users to continue using their existing scanners.

Ed Hamrick, President of Hamrick Software, said:

“One of the main things that Apple has done in Catalina is remove support for running 32-bit programs. Scanners don’t wear out and people like to use their scanners for a long time, sometimes for 10 or 15 years. However, most vendor-supplied scanner drivers are 32-bit programs on Mac OS and don’t work on Catalina. VueScan lets people to continue using their scanners on Catalina, saving the environment and saving money.”

Some notable scanners that work with VueScan 9.7 and don’t work with the vendor-supplied software on Catalina are most Fujitsu ScanSnap document scanners, most Canon DR-series document scanners, many older Epson flatbed and film scanners, many older Canon scanners and most PIE and Reflecta film scanners. Support for Plustek OpticFilm film scanners on Catalina is almost ready to release and will be available in the next month.

VueScan supports over 6000 scanners from 42 manufacturers in a combination of 3 operating systems – Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

VueScan offers a range of advanced features for document, photo and film scanning. Most importantly, you can ‘Try before you buy’ as a full version of VueScan can be downloaded and tested for free.

VueScan is available in two editions, Standard Edition ($49.95 USD) and Professional Edition ($99.95).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great tip, thanks. I'll try VueScan.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am quite happy with High Sierra on a 2011 MacBook Pro. No update foreseen. Not sure if I want to subscribe to Office or not.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I am quite happy with High Sierra on a 2011 MacBook Pro. No update foreseen.

I was happily cruising along on High Sierra as well, and following my usual update plans, was going to install Mojave after it reached the .6 version last fall, when Catalina was released. I (usually) never install the new version right away, preferring to wait out the year of "beta" and remain 1 year behind.

But those plans went out the window when I bought a new (2018) Macmini last spring. It came pre-installed with Mojave, and, as you know, you cannot downgrade below what the Mac came with. So I was sort of forced to adopt Mojave early. And I must say, now that it is in its final form, it is the most stable macOS I can recall since Snow Leopard. Even the .3 release that my mini came with was good to go. I will definitely wait out the next year running Mojave, and even then may not upgrade to Catalina. So far, I am not liking Catalina very much (I have it installed on a bootable external SSD to follow its development). There are some issues with Apple Apps (Mail, for example), and the "new" features don't impress me. Some UI changes to legacy apps as well piss me off.

When in doubt, mumble