SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not a good day at the golf course.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Not a good day at the golf course. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
One of the reasons (the main one being that I suck...) that I don't play any more. I approach the game as recreation, not a race.

Last round I played was at NAS Pensacola. 3rd or 4th hole was right across the street from my quarters. By the time I got to that hole, I was so pissed at the "pros" behind me that I walked from that hole directly to my quarters and never set foot on a course again.



I don't consider it a race, but when there are three groups waiting at the tee for the slowpokes to hit their second shot, it's ridiculous.


__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver


NRA Life Member

 
Posts: 6090 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
slow play is abysmal and just rude

I've been known to call back to the clubhouse and talk with the manager and complain about a group of slow players - course marshal comes a few minutes later and the problem is solved

there is NO excuse for slow play. Walk to the ball and hit it

repeat as necessary



Peace is not the absence of conflict, but rather when you have your foot firmly on the enemies neck

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison


 
Posts: 44640 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't know what is accepted as good golf manners, so here's a question:

Is it OK to play on the slow side if you stay aware of what's behind you, and invite any group that is catching up to play through?



A mind is a terrible thing.
 
Posts: 15579 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bendable
posted Hide Post
is it gauche to ask permission to play through , these days?





Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.



Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
 
Posts: 44403 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I don't know what is accepted as good golf manners, so here's a question:

Is it OK to play on the slow side if you stay aware of what's behind you, and invite any group that is catching up to play through?


That helps, of course, but if you are so slow that you are letting several groups through, you are playing to slow.

If a foursome allows a twosome through, the foursome may not be a problem. If a foursome has to let several other fours through, they are too slow. Keep up.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is it gauche to ask permission to play through , these days?


You shouldn't have to ask.




The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
 
Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I don't know what is accepted as good golf manners, so here's a question:

Is it OK to play on the slow side if you stay aware of what's behind you, and invite any group that is catching up to play through?


That helps, of course, but if you are so slow that you are letting several groups through, you are playing to slow.

If a foursome allows a twosome through, the foursome may not be a problem. If a foursome has to let several other fours through, they are too slow. Keep up.
I mentioned earlier the lack of ready golf in SoCal. V-tail, this is what I mean:
  • On the fairway - all 4 golfers standing behind their own ball (assuming its safe), know which club to use, and hit when it's both their turn and the group ahead is safely away. Slow poke golf like I experienced in SoCal, 3 players stand behind one guy's ball while he is addressing it and they do this from ball to ball every damn shot.
  • On the green - all 4 golfers standing behind their own ball (assuming its not blocking another player's putt), have read the green, and putt when it's both their turn. Slow poke golf like I experienced in SoCal, 3 players stand behind one guy's ball while he is reading the green and putting it. They do this from ball to ball every damn putt.

    Another slow poke bad habit - taking a dozen practice swings every routine shot even on the 18th. I can understand taking a few practice swings on a tough lie or tough chip, but it's ridiculous on routine shots. My Uncle does the dozen practice swing crap, but doesn't swing like his practice shot so he hits it 10 yds. We quit playing with him.

    If you're playing ready golf and taking 1 or 2 practice swings, but you're just plain not good it doesn't bother me. I appreciate being asked to play through.



    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

    DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 14225 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unhyphenated American
    Picture of Floyd D. Barber
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    I don't know what is accepted as good golf manners, so here's a question:

    Is it OK to play on the slow side if you stay aware of what's behind you, and invite any group that is catching up to play through?


    That helps, of course, but if you are so slow that you are letting several groups through, you are playing to slow.

    If a foursome allows a twosome through, the foursome may not be a problem. If a foursome has to let several other fours through, they are too slow. Keep up.
    I mentioned earlier the lack of ready golf in SoCal. V-tail, this is what I mean:
  • On the fairway - all 4 golfers standing behind their own ball (assuming its safe), know which club to use, and hit when it's both their turn and the group ahead is safely away. Slow poke golf like I experienced in SoCal, 3 players stand behind one guy's ball while he is addressing it and they do this from ball to ball every damn shot.
  • On the green - all 4 golfers standing behind their own ball (assuming its not blocking another player's putt), have read the green, and putt when it's both their turn. Slow poke golf like I experienced in SoCal, 3 players stand behind one guy's ball while he is reading the green and putting it. They do this from ball to ball every damn putt.

    Another slow poke bad habit - taking a dozen practice swings every routine shot even on the 18th. I can understand taking a few practice swings on a tough lie or tough chip, but it's ridiculous on routine shots. My Uncle does the dozen practice swing crap, but doesn't swing like his practice shot so he hits it 10 yds. We quit playing with him.

    If you're playing ready golf and taking 1 or 2 practice swings, but you're just plain not good it doesn't bother me. I appreciate being asked to play through.



  • When it's busy, others close behind our group, "that's good" is a common phrase.


    __________________________________________________________________________________
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon

    It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
    Billy Joe Shaver


    NRA Life Member

     
    Posts: 6090 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JWF:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
    Slooooo you say...



    Obvious photoshop, her feet aren't long enough.


    Don't cha know, nothing grows in the shade!



    "My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill
     
    Posts: 10794 | Location: Mouseville, FL | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    At Jacob's Well
    Picture of jaaron11
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PHPaul:
    One of the reasons (the main one being that I suck...) that I don't play any more. I approach the game as recreation, not a race.

    Last round I played was at NAS Pensacola. 3rd or 4th hole was right across the street from my quarters. By the time I got to that hole, I was so pissed at the "pros" behind me that I walked from that hole directly to my quarters and never set foot on a course again.
    It doesn't have to be a race, but it also shouldn't take 5 or 6 hours to play 18 holes. Slow play is rude to those behind you, just like being late to a meeting is. It's saying that your time is more valuable than theirs and they'll just have to wait for you. You can get around the golf course fairly quickly without feeling rushed if you play ready-golf and don't spend 10 minutes looking for every lost ball.

    I played 9 holes on Saturday with my 10 year old and 7 year old and we kept up just fine because I've taught them to keep moving between shots. Settle down over your shot and make a good swing, then start moving and thinking about your next shot. Everybody had fun, nobody felt rushed, and we put distance between us and the group behind us.


    J


    "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5
     
    Posts: 4856 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    I play with a foursome that can play, without interference, in 3.5 hours. We don't feel a bit rushed.

    We are always ready. We don't insist on strict adherence to playing in order of furthest out. We are ready to hit when it is our turn. In other words, while one player is hitting or putting, the others are choosing clubs, reading the putt, etc. We don't mark 1 foot leaves on the green, we just putt them out (which is within the rules).

    We don't stop and take 10 minutes to order Bloody Marys from the cart girl. We get a fill up of ice and move on. No 10 minute searches for a lost ball.

    By myself or with just one other player, I can play in 2.75 to 3 hours without feeling rushed. I have deliberately rushed, just to see, and when I do that, I can play 18 in 2.5 hours, or even a little less.




    The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
     
    Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of cne32507
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:

    We don't stop and take 10 minutes to order Bloody Marys from the cart girl.


    I've only seen a couple of cart girls that warranted a 10 minute look-over; but the two that did got the full leer from the whole group. Drinks took at least 10 minutes, and cost $5 tip for each player.



     
    Posts: 1265 | Location: CTZ Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    At Jacob's Well
    Picture of jaaron11
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    By myself or with just one other player, I can play in 2.75 to 3 hours without feeling rushed. I have deliberately rushed, just to see, and when I do that, I can play 18 in 2.5 hours, or even a little less.
    My record is 36 holes in just under 4 hours when playing by myself and driving a cart. I also shot the two best rounds of my life up to that point, which shows that playing fast and playing well are not mutually exclusive.


    J


    "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5
     
    Posts: 4856 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    chickenshit
    Picture of rsbolo
    posted Hide Post
    Slow golf is not much fun at all.

    Speaking of slow golf...My son is playing league golf comprised mostly of beginners. The ages range between 7 and 11 the format they play is two man teams, best ball. I often act as scorekeeper/ranger for the one of the groups. (There are often up to nine groups on the course, shotgun starts.) I have been pleased that many of the coaches are concerned with two things; etiquette and pace of play.

    I tell you what, teaching kids to play ready golf is something I'd rather not do...but I do it. Hopefully the kids will grow up to enjoy the game and not slow my future older self down! Big Grin


    ____________________________
    Yes, Para does appreciate humor.
     
    Posts: 6258 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unhyphenated American
    Picture of Floyd D. Barber
    posted Hide Post
    Depending on the course, and the number in our group, 2-4 of us, we complete 18 holes from just less than 3 hours to 3 hrs 45 min.

    I'm the youngest at 58, two in their 60's the other is 73. But we manage to keep up with the group ahead. If a faster group comes up behind us, they are given the opportunity to play through.


    __________________________________________________________________________________
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon

    It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
    Billy Joe Shaver


    NRA Life Member

     
    Posts: 6090 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of cne32507
    posted Hide Post
    Our home course in the Sierra has a big course and a shorter course. A women's 9 hole league (the Mountain Niners) plays the short course. My wife was asked to join, and she asked about pace of play. She was assured the pace was fine as their rule is to pick up at 9 strokes. Once a season they play the big course; you don't want to play that day.

    I have played with many beginners and casual hackers. I encourage them to move the ball from the woods they hit into and drop it in the fairway. I tell them that Seve couldn't hit it from there. I suggest making it a pleasure; not a slog. I have never had anyone heed my advice.



     
    Posts: 1265 | Location: CTZ Florida | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cne32507:
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:

    We don't stop and take 10 minutes to order Bloody Marys from the cart girl.


    I've only seen a couple of cart girls that warranted a 10 minute look-over; but the two that did got the full leer from the whole group. Drinks took at least 10 minutes, and cost $5 tip for each player.


    Summer is prime time for cart girls where I play. The college girls are home and need work. The girl last weekend was a college softball player. Cute, fit, and not a dope.

    But no matter how cute they are, get your ice and Gatorade and move along. No 10 minute cart stops.

    I hate slow play.




    The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
     
    Posts: 43802 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of rainman64
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:

    But no matter how cute they are, get your ice and Gatorade and move along. No 10 minute cart stops.

    I hate slow play.


    In 10 minutes, I can see their boobs, have their phone number, and have them talking to my wife.

    And hit my next shot.

    You guys are doing it wrong.


    ___________________
    This is my BOOMSTICK!
     
    Posts: 4229 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of SR
    posted Hide Post
    Is there a policy at that course? I don't play anymore but some of the courses I played with would require a slow 4 some to skip holes if they were more than 2 holes behind or remove them from the course (after one or two warnings to pick up the pace).

    Might ask the proshop or starter if the course has a policy and what to do if this should happen again.

    I agree slow golf is not fun.




    Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
     
    Posts: 4035 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Member
    Picture of rainman64
    posted Hide Post
    I should mention I used to play Intramural golf in college days.

    Until I got kicked off the league.
    My own team mate was slowing us WAY down on the course.

    So I ran over him with out golf cart, and the rest is infamy.....


    ___________________
    This is my BOOMSTICK!
     
    Posts: 4229 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
      Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
     

    SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not a good day at the golf course.

    © SIGforum 2017