SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Refurbed Dell computer - Send it back for replacement, or fix it myself and void the warranty?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refurbed Dell computer - Send it back for replacement, or fix it myself and void the warranty? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
To facilitate running Fusion 360 and to give in to the inevitable and start dealing with Win 10, I bought a refurbished Dell via Amazon for $280. Win 10 Pro, 16GB RAM, 500MB SSD.

Spent most of a day setting it up, transferring files and downloading software, reasonably pleased with the performance. I noticed on first boot up that the fan was kind of noisy. Three days later, it died completely.

The folks I bought it from are happy to honor the warranty, but I have to send the box back to them, I'm assuming exchange. I really, REALLY don't want to go through setup/transfer again and I damn sure ain't sending the box with all my data on it.

Replacing the fan is a trivial task, but I have to break the seal on the case to do it and that voids the warranty.

For $280, I'm thinking effit, I'll fix it and not worry about the warranty. A lot less painful in the long run.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Opening the case breaks the warranty? I purchased a Dell 3070 from B+H early last year, then installed a 1Tb Samsung SSD in it for data. I certainly hope I didn't break any warranty!

But yea, for what you paid I'd just install a new fan.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find some cloning software and copy the boot image to an external drive.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Replacing the fan is a trivial task, but I have to break the seal on the case to do it and that voids the warranty.

There's an actual 'Seal' (Tell-Tale Label across the Case Cover) on the Case?

Are you not allowed to upgrade the machine (add'l SSD/HDD, add'l Memory) w/o voiding the warranty either?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Break the seal. It's not that much money.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Replacing the fan is a trivial task, but I have to break the seal on the case to do it and that voids the warranty

I never knew any Dell computers that have a "seal" but whatever.
How are you going to add anything with a seal-break-void-warranty?
Anyway for a $280 computer just replace the $10 fan and move on.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yup. Break the seal and repair the fan.

It’s not like you’re ripping the tags off if mattresses and pillows.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

There's an actual 'Seal' (Tell-Tale Label across the Case Cover) on the Case?

Are you not allowed to upgrade the machine (add'l SSD/HDD, add'l Memory) w/o voiding the warranty either?

Yup.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Yup. Break the seal and repair the fan.

It’s not like you’re ripping the tags off if mattresses and pillows.

Razz Big Grin

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Welll....

Are you sure it's a standalone vent fan, and not the fan built into the power supply?

One is trivial to fix/replace...the other, you need a replacement power supply.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Break the seal, change the fan yourself.

The 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act pretty much makes those seals a non-issue. A manufacturer can't deny warranty coverage unless the work you did causes the damage that is being claimed under warranty--sticker or no.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Welll....

Are you sure it's a standalone vent fan, and not the fan built into the power supply?

One is trivial to fix/replace...the other, you need a replacement power supply.

It's the one that mounts to the heat sink on top of the processor.

And, of course, it's Dell-Specific, with an odd-ball connector. Fortunately, Fee Bay has them. Unfortunately, it'll be a week or so before it arrives.

This not being my first computer rodeo, the ol' Win 7 box is still fully functional and sitting on my computer desk. Crowded and not real ergonomic, but it'll do for now.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act pretty much makes those seals a non-issue. A manufacturer can't deny warranty coverage unless the work you did causes the damage that is being claimed under warranty--sticker or no.

Pretty sure that applies to vehicles and not electronics. Could be wrong, but... Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Pretty sure that applies to vehicles and not electronics. Could be wrong, but... Wink

Interestingly enough, FTC agrees with Aeteocles here.

From FTC.gov: FTC: Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law
Here's what the FTC are the exceptions to where the Act applies:
quote:
In order to understand how the Act affects you as a businessperson, it is important first to understand what the Act does not require.

First, the Act does not require any business to provide a written warranty.

Second, the Act does not apply to oral warranties. Only written warranties are covered.

Third, the Act does not apply to warranties on services. Only warranties on goods are covered.

Finally, the Act does not apply to warranties on products sold for resale or for commercial purposes. The Act covers only warranties on consumer products. This means that only warranties on tangible property normally used for personal, family, or household purposes are covered.

So, written warranties on personal computers are definitely covered by the Act.

Here's what the FTC says on prohibited actions - specifically noting manufacturers can't void warranties for having service done not by particular service providers:

quote:
What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Allow
There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

TL: DR. See Aeteocles post, above. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Interestingly enough, FTC agrees with Aeteocles here.

From FTC.gov: FTC: Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law
Here's what the FTC are the exceptions to where the Act applies:
quote:
In order to understand how the Act affects you as a businessperson, it is important first to understand what the Act does not require.

First, the Act does not require any business to provide a written warranty.

Second, the Act does not apply to oral warranties. Only written warranties are covered.

Third, the Act does not apply to warranties on services. Only warranties on goods are covered.

Finally, the Act does not apply to warranties on products sold for resale or for commercial purposes. The Act covers only warranties on consumer products. This means that only warranties on tangible property normally used for personal, family, or household purposes are covered.

So, written warranties on personal computers are definitely covered by the Act.

Here's what the FTC says on prohibited actions - specifically noting manufacturers can't void warranties for having service done not by particular service providers:

quote:
What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Allow
There are three prohibitions under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They involve implied warranties, so-called "tie-in sales" provisions, and deceptive or misleading warranty terms.
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

TL: DR. See Aeteocles post, above. Smile

But, and this has nothing to do with the OP, the Great American Maintenance Company could legally require the use of Plenum Brand Filter Bags during the warranty term if they were provided for free by the service provider.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
If the fan was making a noise then the noise stopped along with the fan it could be a wire inside the chassis moved or came loose then, scrapped on the fan blade, making the noise, till the wire wore through and broke.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
But, and this has nothing to do with the OP, the Great American Maintenance Company could legally require the use of Plenum Brand Filter Bags during the warranty term if they were provided for free by the service provider.

Well, free bags .... that changes everything! Smile

posted Hide Post
So what it boils down to is that cutting that seal won't void your warranty. So feel free to cut the crap out of that seal. Heck go all in and cut the labels off your pillow cases and mattresses.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
So, wait - you have to replace the filter bag on your new/used computer?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A little update:

1) Initially I guessed wrong on which fan was causing the noise. There are three: one in the front of the case drawing air in, one in the power supply enclosure and one on the CPU heat sink. The error that popped up said "rear fan failure" so I assumed (silly me...) that it was the one on the CPU as that's the only fan in the "rear" of the box. Fortunately, the fan that was actually bad (the one in the front of the case...???) was the same type and with a little creative re-routing of the power cable I was able to use the one I ordered for the CPU. All nice and quiet now.

2) As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm starting to like Win10. Well, not the actual OS so much as the new software it allows me to run. I'm dipping my tootsies into Fusion360 as my 3D CAD platform (oy, what a learning curve!) and was able to upgrade the slicer for my 3D printer to the latest version of Cura. I just printed an object that would have required a lot of internal support structures and probably 2 or 3 tries before I got a good print with the old version. Perfect first time and I suspect the print time was shortened considerably as well. And NO internal honeycomb to carve out!

3) Between the extra RAM and the SSD drive, this thing boots up in under 10 seconds vs. 2-3 minutes for my old Win7 box.