SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    OKP - Other Kids Parents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OKP - Other Kids Parents Login/Join 
posted
So my wife and daughter are taking one of my daughters best friends on vacation with them in 2 weeks. The friend is same age as my daughter (16) and by all accounts a really good kid...we have known her for a few years and last year she went on the same trip.

This morning my daughter tells us that her parent want (need) a complete itinerary of where they plan on going each day?

I get being concerned/worried about your kid and we already give and gave them contact info, car lic plate pic and vacation home address and map but this is too much. As I said before, this is a good girl we are talking about and we know her pretty well.

I told my wife and daughter to just slap together a loose itinerary that is very general so that they do not flip out if they are tracking her phone and it is up to friend to text mom and dad if plans change as they are not putting this on us.

I feel bad for the girl, this is embarrassing for her and all it teaches her is that she has to be sneaky to have any kind of freedom.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How well do the other parents know you and your wife? If you guys have never met, or only met once then each of the girls might be really close with the other's parents, but the two sets of parents themselves may not know each other well.

If that's the case, I can't fault them in this day and age.

(Assuming you are just talking about major excursions here, not "we will be going to the ice cream parlor at 3:35pm on Tuesday." That would be absurd).

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Tell them your attorney has drawn up a release of liability for them to sign before you take their kid anywhere. Wink

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
How well do the other parents know you and your wife? If you guys have never met, or only met once then each of the girls might be really close with the other's parents, but the two sets of parents themselves may not know each other well.

If that's the case, I can't fault them in this day and age.

This kid is gonna be "girls gone wild" the first time she is off on her own

(Assuming you are just talking about major excursions here, not "we will be going to the ice cream parlor at 3:35pm on Tuesday." That would be absurd).

We have known them as long as we have known her...not well as in we do not hang out and this isn't her first trip with us.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
We have known them as long as we have known her...not well as in we do not hang out and this isn't her first trip with us.

Then I'm with you. Weird and unnecessary.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Maybe worth asking, "what do you want to know?" or ask what they are worried about.

Otherwise, I'd put together a calendar of events and send it to them with the caveat "plan subject to change".

There should be no expectation to provide check-in, check-out notifications or approve activities.

Either they trust you or they don't. I wouldn't let it get in the way of your vacation.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Either they trust you or they don't. ....

This.

Ask it straight out.

Better to disapoint your daghter and her friend than deal with the crap that can be brought up later if.

Sometimes a red flag is hidden in a bed of roses. (You know, like the thorns.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
... Either they trust you or they don't. ....

This.

Ask it straight out.

Better to disapoint your daghter and her friend than deal with the crap that can be brought up later if.

Sometimes a red flag is hidden in a bed of roses. (You know, like the thorns.)

Agreed. I'd be ok with a general trip plan. If I didn't trust you enough to ask for more, my kid wouldn't be going anyway.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think it is us, it is sheer paranoia over daughter getting into trouble even though she has never gotten in any as long as we have known her.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And if she happens to get into trouble, how much grief can you imagine it will result for you? (paranoid people can imagine more...)

This is one of those "you know more than we do".

That said, your gut told you to question, and that brings me back to the thornbush.

Most likly a "nothing hunt". But I have seen people go tangent and never come back.

And "someone" was Randy Quaid's neighbor once.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont think it is us, it is sheer paranoia over daughter getting into trouble even though she has never gotten in any as long as we have known her.

Or perhaps there has already been some trouble that you guys are not aware of.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:

I asked my daughter this and she said no, other than the girl buying a shirt w/o her moms permission at the mall. This is a pretty tight knot group of friends and our daughter tells us more than most kids so i think we would know.

When my kids have traveled with another family my only requests have been to meet them, know where they are going/have contact info and make sure they have a copy of ins card just in case and as far as my daughter, I trust her 200% and give her a lot of space which she has not once abused.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:

This was my thought as well. It might be something your daughter isn't privy to, but if she did this trip with you last year, and new rules suddenly apply, that would be my assumption. As previously mentioned, a general outline should work, and remind her that she's responsible to notify them of any change (I'd share that tidbit with her parents, too).

Hope you have a great time!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post