SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why has Styling become more important than good Engineering?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has Styling become more important than good Engineering? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Guys, I am 64 years old and had a Mitral Valve repair along with a triple bypass last October.

One lesson I learned is that I'm not going to live forever so I should take some time and money to just enjoy life. Thus my purchase of a Beretta 686 and the Fiesta.

Since my very first car was a 1970 VW Beetle I started out driving a stick in a car that actually handled quite well but could only do a 0-60 run in 14.3 seconds.

When I decided I wanted a fun car I started looking around and found the Fiesta ST was just perfect. Low Cost, Stick Shift, excellent power to weight ratio for the price, and light enough to be quite nimble.

However I wasn't looking for a car that could top out at a speed I wouldn't ever drive at. Track time isn't cheap and getting caught doing over 100 mph results in a slew of costly consequences. So the fact that the ST can actually hit 147 mph is both a bit of a surprise and a warning that I had better pay attention to the speedometer anytime I start "bending" the speed limit.

So, while it's interesting I doubt if I'll ever have the Fiesta over 90 mph. Well make that 100 mph cause there are times when I get frustrated with meatheads and blow past them at the earliest opportunity. Main purpose for the power of the ST is to provide some Zip when it's needed and an occasional weekend doing short track Autocross. Can already tell the ST will be a lot of fun at a short track autocross event.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
For those who say they don't build them like they used to:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHp1GAFQzto

I've seen this video before and it leaves no doubt in my mind that today's vehicles are far superior safety-wise to what we used to have.

Ease of maintenance and accessibility does leave much to be desired. Not much can be done about that however. Anyone here that has worked on high-performance aircraft (think military) understands what the lack of accessibility is.

With todays choice of vehicles I plan to stay with Tahoes/Yukons or the equivalent for the rest of my life.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
For those who say they don't build them like they used to:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHp1GAFQzto

Shame to waste that ‘59 model that way.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post