SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's like Algebra and Trigonometry. When does ANYONE use that crap once they get out of school for anything, unless it's in a very very specialized field.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Common core math and its conceptualized approach to understanding math is just lowering the bar so everyone can pass. The kids who have trouble doing math do better on common core. It's bubbles and boxes and then adding them up. The kids who don't have trouble with math get drug under doing this shit.

Math can be hard, everyone won't do well in it. However, lowering standards never works out well in the long run.

As for memorizing times tables, the benefit goes far beyond just knowing them for the rest of your life. Memorization skills are a mental muscle that you build through use. Memorization skills serve you in all aspects of education and life.

Common core is not good for the kids, imo.

Edited to add: You guys who think algebra and trig and math in general is useless to you in real life are missing a piece of the puzzle. Analogy time. You guys go to the gym and bench press, squat, do burpees, etc. You never do those actual movements in real life. It's exercise, it's functional movement. Learning math is also exercise. It's for your brain. It stretches your mind in ways that crayons don't. The best education is well rounded, math, sciences, language, and some arts. You learn the bigger math so that figuring out the tip on your bar bill doesn't require an iPhone app.

You think all that time was wasted. It wasn't. In the years that your brain was still developing you were made to expand your thoughts outside of counting on your fingers and toes. You were made to understand the world in abstract mathematical ways, which just because you don't like or understand math doesn't change the fact that math governs everything we do. It's the law. Lol

I'm probably saying it badly but math is good for you even if you never use calculus ever again.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the 1st time I came across common core math. Grandson was in 4th grade, he had homework of 10 math problems. Ex.= 8 + 4 = 13. Another ex.
7 +8 = 14, etc, etc. I told him they must be typos and we answered them the "old" way. He got a zero.

After a meeting with his teacher, she explained, 8+4+ 1= 13...7+8-1 =14. Abstract thinking, she told me. I went into a nervous tic & left before I did something really bad.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
When does ANYONE use that crap once they get out of school for anything, unless it's in a very very specialized field.

I use the Pythagorean theorem almost daily. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's like Algebra and Trigonometry. When does ANYONE use that crap once they get out of school for anything, unless it's in a very very specialized field.
Yeah, no use for any of that stuff. No need at all to calculate flying range vs. fuel burn at various altitudes with varying winds. No need to calculate course correction (WCA, Wind Correction Angle) when flying with a crosswind component. No worries about how headwind or tailwind component will affect groundspeed or fuel needed. Nope, no use at all, for any of that math stuff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Navigate much, Captain?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He probably has an app for that kind of stuff. lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Just follow the magenta line on the GPS screen.

No need to do any maff.

I wonder how the Captain's celestial navigation skills are. You know, for when the GPS isn't working.

Or maybe dead reckoning.

Nah, who needs that stuff?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

With Algebra, you learn to break a problem down and follow specific steps to solve it. Once you learn that, you've mastered algebra.

With my students I would compare Algebra to a science project or a history thesis. You break it down, do certain steps and solve the problem. In fact, we had some bring their assignments in and we'd break them down.

Algebra gives you a framework for problem solving.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Yeah, no use for any of that stuff. No need at all to calculate flying range vs. fuel burn at various altitudes with varying winds. No need to calculate course correction (WCA, Wind Correction Angle) when flying with a crosswind component. No worries about how headwind or tailwind component will affect groundspeed or fuel needed. Nope, no use at all, for any of that math stuff.

Your gas gauge broken or something? There is also a button on my dashboard, that when pressed lets me know how much further I can go. Big Grin

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
When does ANYONE use that crap once they get out of school for anything, unless it's in a very very specialized field.

In the words of the ancient Greeks:
"You may be right, Pythagorus, but they're all going to laugh if you call it a hypotenuse!" Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
quote:

In the words of the ancient Greeks:
"You may be right, Pythagorus, but they're all going to laugh if you call it a hypotenuse!" Razz

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1tsGGz-Qw0

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That would be a SPECIALIZED FIELD. For 98% of the people out there, they don't use Algebra nor Trig in any aspect of their life.

Most of what you mentioned is simple division. Neither Algebra nor Trigenometry. Range= SOG divided by GPH then take the total and multiply it by total gallons of fuel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Just follow the magenta line on the GPS screen.

No need to do any maff.

I wonder how the Captain's celestial navigation skills are. You know, for when the GPS isn't working.

Or maybe dead reckoning.

Nah, who needs that stuff?

I hold a USCG 500GT STCW master and the experience for a 1600 GT master. My license is very high for what I do or need it for. I know how to do all of that stuff. For every trip that I do I calculate range, plot my courses from paper charts, then develop a route that I plug into my GPS. I do around 200 days a year on the water. So far I haven't been lost yet......and have covered over 300,000 Nautical Miles. Imagine that. If you only knew, what part I play in the marine industry.

How often do you actually fly? Like once a month? Maybe twice a month? Just because you spend all day on Captain Stabbin's website does not mean you know a hill of beans about the maritime industry!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x, you are a legend in your own mind.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

As well as many others. Considering I'm the preferred Captain for most of the whose who in the yachting industry. Yacht manufacturers, engine manufacturers, yacht shipping companies, etc. I've worked very hard to get to where I am. And, getting cheap shots from who exactly? People that know nothing of my industry and most who have never even stepped foot on a yacht.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Jimmy, I enjoy your posts, don't let them wear you down. I remember your macaroni and cheese post. That was a funny story. Have you considered the CUT mac-n-cheese?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you bought a GPS, it will tell you the yardage to the green from the wrong fairway. Wink

(Tiger Woods used the PT in a college tourney to figure yardage once. Notah Begay asked him how he did it because he was amazed at the result. When he replied "I used the Pythagorean Theorem", Notah said "You really are a nerd!")

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yachtzee!

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin ROFLMFAO! Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים