SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Fuck you... Fuck you so hard and so long and deep you piece of weasel shit.

Why is my son drawing bubbles and lines and wasting an hour when I can just teach him long division and be done with it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'll second that.

I've helped my 11 year old granddaughter with her homework. That crap doesn't make any sense to this 66 year old.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Got into arguments with both my kids teachers over the years. Being Asian, I, of course, started teaching them multiplication and division in kindergarten and by the time they started that in school they were already getting the answer quickly and were being told to stop and start doing it the common core way.

After many arguments we agreed that they would show that they knew the stupid common core way but in the end as long as their answer is correct, they wouldn’t care how they got the answer.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep wondering what happens when those kids get to college and are exposed to the usual physics, math, and engineering books. It's hard to see all reference books being rewritten for common core.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Common core is fucking horrible. I've dealt with many kids who get fucked up early with common core math. Nothing like trying to teach fractions before you teach division.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it my mission to get my children through high school without capitulating to the common core nonsense. Both of them aced Calculus in College through traditional learning techniques.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is going to be a generational thing. All these common core kids are going to hit college simultaneously, and the professors are going to freak.

quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
I keep wondering what happens when those kids get to college and are exposed to the usual physics, math, and engineering books. It's hard to see all reference books being rewritten for common core.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I remember when my nephew was in first or second grade and seeing his common core homework. I was sitting at the table with my wife and sister in law trying to figure it out and we were all stumped. It made no fucking sense. We all went to top colleges (SIL-Hamilton, Mrs Highlander - Northeastern Summa Cum Laude, and I went to Dartmouth and graduated HS with a 4 year math average of 99%). I loved that they could still get full credit even with a wrong answer.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So...no more memorizing times tables?

What the hell?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

You just hit on a pet peeve of mine. I'm trying to teach Algebra I, and a significant portion of the class can't do 6x7 without a calculator or, at best, deep thought.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
quote:

You just hit on a pet peeve of mine. I'm trying to teach Algebra I, and a significant portion of the class can't do 6x7 without a calculator or, at best, deep thought.

I bet they forget their towels, too.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
If I was a conspiracy theorist I’d think that maybe it was a plot designed to get parents out of educating their children and for the schools to make children think their parents are stupid...

But that’s none of my business...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Fuck you... Fuck you so hard and so long and deep you piece of weasel shit.

Why is my son drawing bubbles and lines and wasting an hour when I can just teach him long division and be done with it.

We went through this shit back in the early '60s.

Daughter came home and told Mrs. Elk that she was having a problem with this "new math".

Mrs. Elk spent maybe half an hour and taught her how to do "math"> Daughter went back to school and did great on her math test, but teacher complained that she had not done it according to "new math".

Mrs. Elk and I went to see said teacher. In short, we were told that this new math was to teach them how to do it the old way, just through a shitload on nonsense.

Daughter continued to do it her way and aced the course, only one in the class.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
+1

My kids school tried this shit and it hit the fan. the best analogy that I had that hit home since we are in Huntsville Alabama, the rocket city was that if the engineers and construction workers had to use this math to figure out how much concrete was needed to build the pads at the Cape, we'd have never launched the first rocket.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my daughters were placed in advanced classes in 3rd grade. Those classes did NOT use common core. Both are now engineers.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
quote:

Mine were taught using their fingers to multiply. It made no sense. I'd learned multiplication by drill and repetition. My students wanted to know what magical system I was using.

https://m.wikihow.com/Multiply-With-Your-Hands

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've been substitute teaching at my kid's school and have subbed for all grades from K4 through 9th and 10th grade geometry. I'm thourghly convinced calculators have no place in elementary math, multiplication tables need to be memorized and an incredible amount of time is wasted on conceptual ideas at the elementary level.

The students that know there multiplication tables do well, the others don't.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago I got a note from my son's 4th grade teacher asking me to stop teaching my son long division as it wasn't the way the school teaches it.

Now, she is a friend of the family so I didn't get all uppity about it but I did have a good laugh.

I showed my son how the school wanted it done and then I showed him the easy way in order to check that his answer is right. Win-win.

At the end of the day, at this age, the school is grading that they understand the process of problem solving and not so much the problem. I get it.

I hated common core until I started really spending some time on it and understood what it's trying to do. And to be honest, it would have helped me as a kid. All through middle school and high school I was 'behind' in math. I loved the subject, I just couldn't get it right.

Once I matured it all came together and now I have an Engineering degree. But I had to learn how to learn on my own.

I'm not saying common core is great, just that I think it can be useful for some.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's a pain in the ass, but I really do think it's better. I thought it was stupid too until I actually sat down and looked at it. Common core is actually pretty much how I taught myself math as a kid, and what I've used ever since. It may not be quite as fast as just memorizing multiplication tables, but knowing WHY 4x4 is 16 is much more valuable than knowing that 4x4=16. I think there is still a place for both, but with the prevalence of technology these days rote memorization is less important every day.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know your gazintas?

Seven gazinta sixty-three? Nine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post