SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Mr Inventor of Common Core math.... Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hey V-Tail, you really want to screw with a cashier, do what I do. I hate carrying cash or change. So if my total comes to $26.56 I'll give the cashier $32.06, or some other amount of money to get change in 5's, 10's, and quarters, giving me the smallest amount of change and ones possible.

This confuses them to all ends. Many times they hand me back the $2.06 and tell me it's not needed. Multiple times it has required manager assistance. Now when they balk, I just tell them to punch the amount of money into the register and see what happens. When they do that a light bulb goes on for some, some seem to be amazed I can give the a random about of money and they only have to hand me back a five and two quarters, like I just preformed a magic trick of some sort.

I'm never speechless when this happens, I just keep my mouth shut because I know what ever I say would make me look like a complete asshole.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Algebra is everywhere. I used it yesterday to calculate someone’s PTO remaining for the year, based on how many hours they’d worked so far this year (fluctuating PT employee). I used it two days ago to convert a recipe for a breakfast casserole to a smaller quantity than the original recipe called for. I use Algebra every damn day, and I’m no longer in any specialized field.

I understand common core is trying to teach kids HOW to think. I think that must be what I don’t like about it. Like many others, I figured out how to think about math on my own, thanks much. I wonder how many budding researchers, scientists, mathematicians, would be effectively nipped in the bud if they didn’t have to THINK a little on their own and work it out themselves.

But I’ll do what another poster did- teach my son both ways (probably common core second, after he’s memorized). He’s already counting and adding, and not in K yet, so I might have a chance.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5305 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Algebra is everywhere. ... I use Algebra every damn day, and I’m no longer in any specialized field.
Nope. This can NOT be true! We have it on the AUTHORITY of a resident expert that MOST people have absolutely no need for this stuff. How dare you dispute him? Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a facepalm meme out there where a guy starts to say something 2 or 3 times and then just gives up and goes full facepalm. That would've been my reaction.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's it, thanks!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's like Algebra and Trigonometry. When does ANYONE use that crap once they get out of school for anything, unless it's in a very very specialized field.

Do you even know what Algebra is? Hint; it is using known variables and fixed numbers to come up with unknown numbers. Stuff most of us use in everyday life. Banking and finances. Working with proportions, cooking, retail, etc. Shopping. Algebra is key in problem solving. Everyday shit.

And Trigonometry is WHERE??????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I used trig last year when I had to fell a tree near the house.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Trigonometry, Algebra, and Calculus are all used naturally, by everyone and every living creature, everyday, and most have no idea they do it.

Swing at a pitched ball, or kick a moving soccer ball, drive a car, walk across the room or pour a glass of milk.

Understanding the science of them so that you are able to apply that knowledge to solve complex problems without having to actually walk, pitch, strike or drive to a point, pour liquid from one container to another.

But you want to argue for the sake of argument supposing that if you bang on your empty barrel loud enough you will impress the world.

But here's a simple Trig problem even you can solve with help.

1. Take both arms (empty hands) and drop them to you sides.
2. Orient them palms flat to you thighs.
3. Move both backwards as they will naturally move until your pinky fingers touch.
4. Now with a "closing hand motion" full grasp your buttocks.

Congratulations!!! You have just found your own ass with both hands, and a robot can be "taught" to do that using Trigonometric functions. (if one provisions said robot with buttocks)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but robots are not like MOST people, dontcha know. You know, the MOST who don't need no steenkin' maff.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Subtle, Monkey, very subtle... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Subtle, Monkey, very subtle... Big Grin
Flinging monkey poo since December 2008.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Look at the first short here called Common Corpse.

https://www.opctheseries.com/

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually meant Calculus and Trigonometry. Not Algebra when I first posted. But somehow put Algebra and got it mixed up with Calculus. Senior moment.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Is this common core?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I forgot this was a thing. I personally can not wait to teach my kid my method. Its called either you can look and figure it out, or figure it out yourselves. I never, ever have understood people who write, show work, or anything. Now I sometimes write a placeholder number, but not once have I ever done 4 goes into 16 4+4+4+4

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post