SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ticked off with HP and windows 10
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticked off with HP and windows 10 Login/Join 
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted
Bought a HP Envy (Bang&Olufsen) laptop a year ago. Everything was working great until about a week ago with the latest auto update with Win 10. Lost my onboard camera. Tried to un install/re install driver which locked up everything. Tried to roll back to a previous time which was not successful. Tried to do a complete recovery to factory settings and get recovery not complete error message. Tried doing this multiple times with my recovery media flash drive and DVD......Nothing. Finally tossed this piece of shit brick in the trash. Looking for a reliable laptop with 16Gig ram and a DVD read/write drive.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe take it to a Professional next time? Confused

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Been doing this crap for years. learned basic back in the early 80s, worked with Cobol, and early DOS. Did total recoveries on the 7 desktops I had at home and work. I work with computers everyday in acquistion and processing of Nuclear Medicine imaging studies. I probably know enough to get into trouble....LOL!!!!!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Gates never did anything right unless he stole it. Stole PCDOS (became MSDOS) from CPM. Stole Excel from Lotus. Stole MS Word from Word Perfect. Revenue was declining so come out with Windows 10 & screw up a perfectly good Windows 7!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Bill Gates never did anything right unless he stole it. Stole PCDOS (became MSDOS) from CPM. Stole Excel from Lotus. Stole MS Word from Word Perfect. Revenue was declining so come out with Windows 10 & screw up a perfectly good Windows 7!

+1!

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Been doing this crap for years. learned basic back in the early 80s, worked with Cobol, and early DOS. Did total recoveries on the 7 desktops I had at home and work. I work with computers everyday in acquistion and processing of Nuclear Medicine imaging studies. I probably know enough to get into trouble....LOL!!!!!

Well, I've been doing it professionally for 30 years.
Not everything goes as expected.
But I've learned to be persistent and patient with problems.
Throwing the baby out with the bath water was never an option.
We (IT guys) learn something everyday new.
I had a client with a similar problem with update 1709 as well on a new Dell, we tried and tried to apply the update with no luck then we just downloaded a new ISO from MS with the update already slipstreamed and it worked fine from there on.
Sorry you couldn't solve the problem, better luck next time.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
The POS would not even boot up past the recovery menu. Tried to recover and it would go into a loop saying recovery incomplete. No way to get past that to go online for a download.

Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Now, again does anyone have a recomendation of a new laptop not HP with 16Gig ram and a dvd read/write drive that comes complete without all of the bullshit software. Maybe with Office and video/music player. Everything else that want I can install also.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The POS would not even boot up past the recovery menu. Tried to recover and it would go into a loop saying recovery incomplete. No way to get past that to go online for a download.

You would need to download the bootable media from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...e-download/windows10
If that is your only machine (broken one) then I see where that might pose a problem.
However, if you could get the bootable media and run a fresh install then I would think that would solve your problem (I would confirm the compatibility first for that make/model).

As far as a "not HP" machine look at Lenovo or Asus > Intel based processer prefer gen 7 or 8/ ssd / ddr4 ...

Good Luck

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill Gates never did anything right unless he stole it.

Wow. I dislike MS-Windows, just about everything else Microsoft, and just about everything from the "DOS/Windows world" probably more than anybody I know, but that is just a bit >< of an exaggeration.

quote:
Stole PCDOS (became MSDOS) from CPM.

Digital Research gave that away. First when it failed to port CP/M to the x86 architecture in a timely manner, then again when it blew Gates off when he wanted to use CP/M-86 to get the IBM contract.

quote:
Stole Excel from Lotus.

Did Lotus, then, steal it from SuperCalc, and SuperCalc from VisiCalc?

quote:
Stole MS Word from Word Perfect.

Did Word Perfect steal it from WordStar? Did WordStar steal it from Electric Pencil?

quote:
Revenue was declining so come out with Windows 10 & screw up a perfectly good Windows 7!

Leaving aside the debatableness of calling MS-Win 7 "perfectly good" Big Grin, this is the only thing in your screed you actually got right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought a HP Envy (Bang&Olufsen) laptop a year ago....Finally tossed this piece of shit brick in the trash. Looking for a reliable laptop with 16Gig ram and a DVD read/write drive.

If the price is right I might be interested in obtaining that old one from you. I could use some parts to repair daughter's laptop that quit a couple of weeks ago.
My email is in profile.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Digital Research gave that away. First when it failed to port CP/M to the x86 architecture in a timely manner, then again when it blew Gates off when he wanted to use CP/M-86 to get the IBM contract.

I may be getting old and developing CRS but my memory of the PC history is/was that:

1. IBM's 1st OS choice, Digital Research (authors of CP/M) got a little too big for their britches, and blew off meetings with IBM to discuss CP/M-86 for their new IBM PC.

2. As IBM's 2nd OS choice, Bill Gates had acquired “QDOS” from Seattle Computer Systems and offered it to IBM as a non-exclusive license to sell the OS as PC-DOS, while Microsoft retained the right to sell it to others as MS-DOS.

Historically Microsoft's strength has been marketing/licensing, not technology/innovation.

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlb226:
quote:
quote:

I may be getting old and developing CRS but my memory of the PC history is/was that:

1. IBM's 1st OS choice, Digital Research (authors of CP/M) got a little too big for their britches, and blew off meetings with IBM to discuss CP/M-86 for their new IBM PC.

2. As IBM's 2nd OS choice, Bill Gates had acquired “QDOS” from Seattle Computer Systems and offered it to IBM as a non-exclusive license to sell the OS as PC-DOS, while Microsoft retained the right to sell it to others as MS-DOS.

You are correct: It was IBM Gary Kildall of DR allegedly blew off, not MS. But I do not believe CP/M-86 yet existed at the time. And I believe MS acquired QDOS after inking a deal with IBM, not beforehand.

quote:
Historically Microsoft's strength has been marketing/licensing, not technology/innovation.

Mostly, but not entirely, true.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are correct: It was IBM Gary Kildall of DR allegedly blew off, not MS. But I do not believe CP/M-86 yet existed at the time. And I believe MS acquired QDOS after inking a deal with IBM, not beforehand.

quote:

Mostly, but not entirely, true.

No, CP/M-86 did not exist, but CP/M (on Z-80) was the dominant business OS on microcomputers at the time. IBM wanted it ported to the 8086/8088. When CP/M-86 finally showed up, the MS/PC-DOS train had already left the station.

I'm not enough of an insider to know when ink was put on paper, but it is my understanding that Gates didn't acquire rights to QDOS until he had reached some sort of understanding with IBM.

Admittedly Microsoft has innovated at times, but from my perspective, its strength is more often in marketing and licensing.

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine a worse combination than HP and Windows. HP is dedicated to using proprietary motherboards and add ons so that a simple replacement of a DVD drive requires using an HP unit because the motherboard won't work with standard drivers. Most likely the reason that you can't get your computer past the boot screen is because you don't have the HP specific recovery disk. Tossing it in the trash is probably the wisest choice to make.

As for what to replace it with I would suggest either Asus or Dell. I have a cheap (149.95) Asus laptop I picked up for light office duties and it works pretty well. While it's not lightining fast and only came with 8 meg of Ram installing a SSD when the hard drive failed made for a computer that boots up very quickly. We also have some higher end Asus and Dell laptops at work and all seem to work well.

As for HP products, was a time when they made well designed and thought out products but today's product are pure shit designed specifically to piss off anyone using their products. IMO the only effective use for an HP product today is to use them as targets.

BTW, I started with computers using Fortran and writing programs to punch tape at first and later using punch cards. Note, Basic was simply Fortran ported to desktop computers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Basic was simply Fortran ported to desktop computers.
???

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, I started with computers using Fortran and writing programs to punch tape at first and later using punch cards. Note, Basic was simply Fortran ported to desktop computers.

WTF? BASIC was developed in the mid 1960s. My first BASIC program was written on a terminal connected to a DEC PDP mini. The reason it spread so quickly to micros was that it was easy to learn for a novice and it had a small enough footprint to run on a micro. It was NOT Fortran ported for a micro. Back to the OPs problem...

My company's IT department was having major issues with W10 and ALL HP laptops and some desktops not booting. That was prior to the latest windows update. Seems that updating the video driver would fix some, not all. They have had zero problems with the Lenovo T series business class laptops. They're a bit pricey but very solid machines. I use a company issued T470p and have had no problems with it on any updates. Depending on how much you want to spend there is another option. At home and for side contract work I use a Surface Pro 4. They're more pricey (especially when you add a dock, regular keyboard, and 2 monitors) than a laptop but have zero issues with W10.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I said ??? Bytes was a bit more specific.
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
WTF? BASIC was developed in the mid 1960s. My first BASIC program was written on a terminal connected to a DEC PDP mini. The reason it spread so quickly to micros was that it was easy to learn for a novice and it had a small enough footprint to run on a micro. It was NOT Fortran ported for a micro.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note, Basic was simply Fortran ported to desktop computers.

That's not quite accurate.

BASIC (it's an acronym for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, so is therefore properly all capitalized) was originally designed to be a more approachable amalgam of Fortran, which is primarily an engineering- and mathematics-oriented language (Formula translation), and COBOL, which is primarily a business-oriented language (COmmon Business-Oriented Language).

There is an ANSI BASIC, but most BASICs have a variety of proprietary extensions, often to make them more suitable to business use (so-called "Business BASIC"s), engineering use or more structured programming techniques.

Banned
posted Hide Post
le me know if you are still trying fix your laptop, i can show you how to back date it to a few days back before the update.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post