SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No-Shows - and Craigslist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No-Shows - and Craigslist Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
I hate trying to sell shit, especially when it needs to be a local sale!

I’m trying to sell an older laptop, and it’s just not worth dealing with the cost and hassle of shipping it, so figured I’d sell it locally on Craigslist. I put plenty of warnings in my ad to hopefully ward off scammers and low-ballers, such as cash only, face to face only, and only 2 acceptable locations to meet that have been deemed safe. No scammers so far, but the one person showing true interest in it finally sets up a meeting to check it out.... then doesn’t show up!!! Mad

No wonder I end up losing money and just sell shit locally at the pawn shop when I don’t want to deal with shipping hassles! Nobody ever wants to pay shipping costs, and it’s getting higher and higher by the day, especially if you pack well and insure properly!!!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side- since he didn’t show up, you didn’t get raped and murdered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Look on the bright side- since he didn’t show up, you didn’t get raped and murdered.

I recently dealt with Craigslist for the first time in years. At that site, one seller showed his location as a "reasonable" part of St.Louis. Communications with him led to a much less desirable area, a warehouse district in the middle of ghetto N. St. Louis. He wouldn't go to a public location I suggested. Google street view reminded me of this. With a few hundred dollars cash in pocket, I too walked away --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozLROB32K0

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I’m trying to sell an older laptop...

No opinion either way, but be sure to scrub or remove the hard drive to keep your personal info personal.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
A lot probably depends on where you live. I have sold a number of things on CL in Montana and never once had a no-show. Deal was made ahead of time and buyer was there with cash in hand.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

A lot probably depends on where you live. I have sold a number of things on CL in Montana and never once had a no-show.
Probably, all the flakes who used to live in Montana have moved to Florida.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Had a good CL experience the other day, offsets some poor ones.

I had something for sale and it worked out that I was going very near the buyer. We met up and he immediately asks me if I was going to a local gun show and we chatted a bit about guns. I had mentioned ammo in my ad and he was glad to meet another gun guy.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Craigslist no-shows are common. Generally, people are idiots.

My typical game plan is to never wait for a Craigslist person when I am a seller. I specify the location as a public place closest either to my work or my home. I tell them to text me when they are actually on their way, and to text me when they get there. I then tell them that I'll be there in 5 minutes.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We used to do Craigslist but since the wife does farcebook, we've been using Marketplace instead. It seems to be a much more positive experience.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've also had it happen, not only with craigslist but also with defunct backpage. I'd agree to meet someone several miles away and they'd be a no show.

I finally worded my ads to reflect I will not travel beyond a certain distance and I will only meet at a specific location. If the buyer refuses, so be it.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gazelle. Works like a dream.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Gazelle. Works like a dream.
Question for you: Have you used swappa? If so, how do swappa and gazelle compare (I would be a buyer, not a seller)?

I'm probably going to replace my iPhone sooner or later and I shudder at Apple's prices.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Craigslist no-shows are common. Generally, people are idiots.

My typical game plan is to never wait for a Craigslist person when I am a seller. I specify the location as a public place closest either to my work or my home. I tell them to text me when they are actually on their way, and to text me when they get there. I then tell them that I'll be there in 5 minutes.

I use CL often, and this is good SOP. If you honestly have a good deal on something, then a buyer will go out of his way to hold up his end of the deal.

The 'free' section is a different story, b/c often ppl will respond and request stuff just b/c it's free, then flake out.

I haven't tried yet, but ppl I know have good things to say about OfferUp and LetGo. Sometimes NextDoor works well for selling or giving away. The benefit of NextDoor is that people responding live near you and are much less likely to flake out.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luckily, I haven't dealt with no-shows yet on CL, but I'm sure it's coming someday.

What boggles my mind is the almost endless "Is it still available" emails, then no response if you respond. Multiple emails a day, whether CL or FB. Kills me.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I haven't dealt with CL for over 10 years. I use to use it all the time - never had any issues. But, I just think I was extremely fortunate!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
What boggles my mind is the almost endless "Is it still available" emails, then no response if you respond. Multiple emails a day, whether CL or FB. Kills me.

If they ask about it or your item, it's almost always a scammer trying to collect your email address to sell to spammers. If you can't bother to mention something pertaining to what I'm selling, you're either a scammer or someone not worth dealing with.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
At least the second person who contacted me later that day showed up right away as promised and had cash in hand to purchase. Barely looked at the computer other than making sure it booted properly into Windows, and had the appropriate programs installed as promised. He was buying it for his mother who's computer had failed, and this one was easily capable of handling what little she would do with it... mostly e-mail, internet, basic MS Word, etc.

He had no issue with my demanding to meet in only two possible locations for safety, and was actually in favor of that as he chose the most secure... front lobby of the local police station (a designated Craigslist meeting spot in our small city). His transaction is the way I wish they would all go, but rarely do they! I do feel that I cut down / eliminated scammers by stating a number of things were non-negotiable, NO shipping, face-to-face ONLY, CASH only, and there would be "no exceptions so don't even bother asking or your request will be ignored"! This is the FIRST time I got zero potential scam contacts from CL, so will use this tactic again next time I post there.

Cheers,

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post