SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    It's not Heavy... Handguns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not Heavy... Handguns Login/Join 
posted
I see posted in handgun section that folks are always looking for the magic 9 oz pistol that holds 26 rounds of 45-70. This is not a rant more of what are your priories for not being a victim , a statistic or a crime scene photo... There is no free lunch
when you face the bad stuff just saying. When I look at the WW2 infantry and todays both carried 90 lbs. of light weight gear or more. Before I started cop work I carried a S&W 29 4 inch maybe over kill but, I could shoot well then 35 years ago. Clint Smith said it plainly and perfectly " Carrying a gun is not always comfortable , it is comforting" That is where I see firearms carry. I live in Georgia, it is hot muggy and then it is hot again. In the summer I carry a Glock or Sig full size pistol under
a dark tee shirt and a S& W 438 in a pants pocket plus 2 lbs of other stuff I think I need. Everyone has to make that magic decision what their environment is like and prepare accordingly. Plan for the bad day maybe not Die Hard but, 3 guys in a parking
lot eyeing your new BMW. You got's to have 10 rounds when the fun ends and evil starts. My years of taking reports have left me with that number of rounds as a base line. The least I leave my home with is two J Frame Smiths a reload for both A BIG folding knife and my head on a swivel. Remember two is one and one is none. We can argue about carrying a belt fed or you can I won't but carry a firearm and don't get locked up in the weight issue. Find one your can shoot well off handed an with only that hand if you get hurt. Dress for success good holsters a sturdy belt and what ever you think you need to survive. If you were to value your life how many pounds of GOLD would you think it is worth? Better yet how much is your loved ones lives worth?
Then after this assessment that pistol really does not weight that much does it? I have watched an older gentleman over the past year in a local Wally World he open carries, while I AM not a fan of this mode he is carrying a Colt Government model hammer down in a open top holster. He looks to be at least in his mid 70's. You can see as he watches over his wife while they shop weight does not matter when you keeping guard over your world. This is just one Idiots opinion...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
What do you do for a living?

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
He's the Village Idiot Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I've always found it funny in the shooting community where they ask for super compact pistol for concealed carry, then when ACME gun company produces what they've been asking for they turn and complain that it's too small, isn't chambered in .88 Magnum, doesn't hold enough rounds, it's "snappy" or their pinky finger hangs off. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've read complaints on SF and other places about a fully loaded P365 feeling too heavy compared to a G43. Well yeah... is there a way to make 10 rounds of your preferred 9mm ammo weigh less than 6 rounds? Confused

I mean, if that's your primary beef between the two guns, have you thought about carrying a P365 with only 6rds loaded in the mag? Problem solved.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Within reason, weight does make a difference. It can be fatiguing, even with a good holster and belt, to carry a heavy steel handgun all day, vs. an alloy- or polymer-framed gun. But going to the other extreme compromises shooting qualities. You never hear anybody say their "fleaweight" (as I like to call them) .38, let alone .357 Magnum revolvers are pleasant to shoot. In fact, they can be painful, even debilitating, to practice sufficiently with.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all about your perceived threat level and lifestyle. Maybe, if you feel you must leave the house armed like an infantryman, it's time to re-evaluate your life and where you live.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
my head on a swivel

One of the best tools in your bag.

Nothing wrong with being prepared.
It's all too much until it's not.

Everyone has or should have some degree of paranoia.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I used to carry SIGs, a P220 and then P229’s. I thought back pain from carrying a pistol and two magazines was just how it was. I got a Glock, the back pain stopped, and I realized carrying a heavy gun wasn’t going to work with my bulged disc. So some of us do have some legit concerns about weight of a carry gun. I’m not in combat, I’m not in WWII. By those standards I would be 4F and they wouldn’t be asking me to go, so I carry what I can, not what’s asked of me. That said, I carry as much gun as I can comfortably conceal. It isn’t like I’m not taking it seriously with 16-18 rounds of 9mm in the gun and 38 rounds in reloads.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything about a carry gun is a compromise based on personal choice and circumstances. Size, weight, caliber, capacity, threat perception, ability, budget, etc. I have no problem with anyone choosing to go small if that's what they decide suits them.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
lol. just got called in to work. third homicide in less than two weeks. i'm headed in in my two year old bmw carrying my glock 43x and a spare mag. should be enough until i get my duty belt on.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
It's all about your perceived threat level and lifestyle. Maybe, if you feel you must leave the house armed like an infantryman, it's time to re-evaluate your life and where you live.

Shit. Even when I was deployed, I carried 5 magazines with 30 rounds each. I carried the greatest weapon of all: a radio.

Some of these guys here act like they're going to be caught in the middle of the bank robbery from Heat.

Posts: 13049 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Some of these guys here act like they're going to be caught in the middle of the bank robbery from Heat.

You never know! Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
paranoia is treatable

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
So this road flare and gallon of gasoline is overkill?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm thinking it will be more like the bank robbery at the end of Point Blank...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooo..... the 365 I just bought is too heavy. Dang it.

Posts: 7349 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

You never know! Big Grin

Dude, I bought an FNC!!!

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who has been packing a G22 for several years. It holds 16 rounds of .40 cal. rounds. Seems like a pretty good solution.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Majority of time I carry a 13+1 with a 17 round full size spare mag, knife, and a small, compact, designed for use with a handgun, flashlight. If I'm going somewhere very close to the house which is usually safe, my minimal carry is a revolver with 2 speed loaders. Once temps are down low enough to wear gloves I switch platforms and it's a 10+1 or 15+1 with a spare magazine. Spare mag got ingrained a long time ago, or spare revolver load or two. And a knife.

I won't even mention what is loaded in the truck at all times Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post