SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    GM Parts prices.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM Parts prices. Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Buy a Porsche if you want to spend money on parts. At least mine is fairly easy to work on for routine things like oil change, plugs, etc.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its been many years ago, close to 40. I worked a summer at a Pontiac dealer, parts department. the pricing books were crazy, even in my 16 year old mind.

cost to dealer from GM, dealer price, jobber price, mechanic price, list price, and our parts manager made another price for OTC purchases. double cost + 10%, if the customer complained, knock off the 10% so he would come back!

there are many GM parts that fit most GM cars so Chevrolete, GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac etc. had different list prices for items.

I also worked for a GMC dealer who sold wholesale to cummings and other fleet owners (trucking companies) at cost plus 10%, orders were shipped direct, no handling cost except billing.

with current internet sales, I am not surprised at the dealer pricing of 10x cost. good decision to walk away.

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Hey eltonr, remember Wholesale Comp? The additional rebate from GM when a part was sold to a fleet, repair or body shop? Was that ever a nightmare to deal with especially if one's dealership was so lucky as to get audited.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's like that with every dealer service department. I went in for my last free oil change today and service guy said I needed rear brakes done. Quoted me like $768+tax. I said the pads are at 5mm, I've got time. I'll do it myself before winter. I priced the parts online and with all OEM parts at getbmwparts, I'd save alot on parts if I ordered it online and I'd obviously save a lot on labor.

Their parts costs: $479.79 + tax = $518.17
Getting the OEM parts online costs: $317.17 shipped

So $201 saved and I do it myself. Going to save another $100 if I buy aftermarket parts from Rockauto.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
It's like that with every dealer service department. I went in for my last free oil change today and service guy said I needed rear brakes done. Quoted me like $768+tax. I said the pads are at 5mm, I've got time. I'll do it myself before winter. I priced the parts online and with all OEM parts at getbmwparts, I'd save alot on parts if I ordered it online and I'd obviously save a lot on labor.

Their parts costs: $479.79 + tax = $518.17
Getting the OEM parts online costs: $317.17 shipped

So $201 saved and I do it myself. Going to save another $100 if I buy aftermarket parts from Rockauto.

DO NOT purchase aftermarket Brakes or Clutches, they are JUNK designed to last 1/3 as long as factory parts. Yeah, I know, you get a "lifetime" warranty. When that "warranty" includes Parts and LABOR you might have a vaguely viable savings. However in two years will you be able to locate the sales receipt and what about the cost for your time fetching the parts. Take it from someone who started doing his own brakes on a 1970 VW Beetle way back in 1972, aftermarket brake pads are JUNK.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using aftermarket (Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner, Akebono) brake pads and rotors for decades and never had a problem. Who do you think makes brake pads and rotors for the manufacturers? They don’t make their own.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GM didn't set that price. The dealership did.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Not completely true. GM gives dealers three prices. Dealer cost which is what the dealer pays for a part minus any additional volume discounts or promotions. Trade price is referred to as wholesale, that is suggested pricing to repair shops, body shops, fleet accounts. List price is what is suggested pricing to retail customers whether it be over the parts counter or in the service department. There is a disclaimer from GM stating that these are only suggested prices and each dealer is free to set their own pricing

Hence the matrix pricing. Matrix is not normally used on any customer except Retail customers. If used on billing for a wholesale accounts it will probably be quickly realized and with how competitive that part of the business is that dealer will probably soon lose that customer and potentially more when the pricing issue becomes known.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Not completely true. GM gives dealers three prices. Dealer cost which is what the dealer pays for a part minus any additional volume discounts or promotions. Trade price is referred to as wholesale, that is suggested pricing to repair shops, body shops, fleet accounts. List price is what is suggested pricing to retail customers whether it be over the parts counter or in the service department. There is a disclaimer from GM stating that these are only suggested prices and each dealer is free to set their own pricing

Hence the matrix pricing. Matrix is not normally used on any customer except Retail customers. If used on billing for a wholesale accounts it will probably be quickly realized and with how competitive that part of the business is that dealer will probably soon lose that customer and potentially more when the pricing issue becomes known.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post