SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    2nd time this week school has been cancelled for rain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd time this week school has been cancelled for rain Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
We might get 4" of rain. For perspective, the counties to our north and south have not cancelled classes. I got nothing nice to say about this.

"Important Message
Due to the dramatic shift in the path of Tropical Storm Eta, school is canceled today, Wednesday November 11 as are all after school activities.

This decision was not made lightly but I feel that it is the best possible decision to ensure the safety of your children, their families and our staff.

Again, there will be no school today for staff or students.

Please take care of yourselves and your families and stay safe."

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Abundance of caution. hahaaha

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Year to date, we have only had 4.76” of precipitation.

You’re getting our year in one day.

We are at station ID 215

https://gis.yavapai.us/alert/pgi.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the teachers and administrators will still get paid? Hmmm.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
This kind of horseshit has bugged me for years.

We live in Maine. It do occasionally snow here. Has for 50 years that I know of personally. Yet the local pussies school board will cancel school as soon as the ground turns white.

All we're doing "for the chillen" is teaching them to be a bunch of whiny pussies that don't want to leave their safe space.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

That's what's known as yer "rhetorical question" ain't it. Roll Eyes

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably like a snow day just with inclement weather (rain). Most school systems have these days included into the school year. After they exceed those days they either have to make them up or apply for a waiver from the state.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, they probably made the right call. The county to the south is closing schools 3 hours early while the county to the north is closing them 2 hours early.

The water is over my cross canal neighbor's seawall and expected to continue rising. There'll be quite a few roads flooded and the wind is steady 24mph, gusting 40.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
That storm dumped a huge amount of rain in South Florida. Flooding everywhere.

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

That's what's known as yer "rhetorical question" ain't it. Roll Eyes

Kind of, but I suspect the answer is 'yes'.

Around here school teachers were all gung ho to close the schools due to coronahysteria because they knew their paychecks would keep coming anyway.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living in SW Fl.as well this is why Lee county schools closed. Transportation: school buses are not allowed to cross bridges with wind speeds above 30mph, and since there are many students bussed accross the multiple bridges they closed the schools, or closed them early before the wind speeds got higher.
As far as do the teachers get paid: They used their last built in hurricane day on Nov 11, the day the schools closed early. If the schools need to close again the school year extends, and the teachers work those extra day.

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Guess I have reached grumpy old man stage early. I can recall going to school during power outages.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Guess I have reached grumpy old man stage early. I can recall going to school during power outages.

And I recall walking 3 miles to get to school when there was more than a foot of snow on the ground. Buses didn't run, school was NOT cancelled.

I also recall walking 7 miles in 18+ inches of snow, delivering newspapers.

I cannot even begin to imagine the sheer lunatic outrage if some kid was asked/expected to walk to school when there was a fresh frost on the ground.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the lawyers. Be it wind, rain or snow, they're afraid of school bus accidents, slip and fall, etc. and the ensuing lawsuits. Shakespeare was right.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
The biggest issue is the school buses cannot safely operate if winds are in excess of 35mph. That’s our primary reason for canceling school for tropical storms/hurricanes.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s our primary reason for canceling school for tropical storms/hurricanes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sometimes the school is so damaged they cannot go. It would be kind of bad if the kids were there when that happened. Zeta took the entire roof off of the local elementary school. My daughter was out of school for months after Katrina. Nine months later we had to use Porta Potties at graduation. It was memorable.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My favorite...whenever theres a tragedy, kids killed car wreck, etc....the COUNSELORS come in to comfort the kids. Certainly don't learn something because Johnny was driving like a fool without a seatbelt. Lets disrupt classes for the day.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite...whenever theres a tragedy, kids killed car wreck, etc....the COUNSELORS come in to comfort the kids. Certainly don't learn something because Johnny was driving like a fool without a seatbelt. Lets disrupt classes for the day

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. This stupidity started shortly after Columbine. COUNSELORS with little to no training can make situations like this a lot worse.

Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
When I went to High School in the UP of Michigan (a long, long time ago, but we had indoor plumbing Smile), school started at 9:00AM but I had an 8:00 class. I walked to school, about two blocks, and because of the early morning hour, I often walked down the middle of the street in knee deep or more snow. If we had snow days for a foot or so of snow, we never would have gotten in 180 days.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post