SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Flossing is bad. Flossed out a filling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flossing is bad. Flossed out a filling Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Fun times.

Hopefully Monday I can find a dentist to fix this.

No pain but it happened just this evening. Grabbed some temp. filling stuff from CVS.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always on the weekend. Last Friday afternoon one of my lower eyelids began to swell. I knew what was coming - it's happened before. By Sunday night the eyelid was red, very swollen, and extremely painful. I also started running a fever.

Good luck w/ the tooth. I hope it stays pain-free.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I did exactly that last month. Thankfully no pain.
There's this sharp edge that always snags the floss and one of my fillings popped out and got to visit to the dentist a few days later.

I learned the hard way once when I put off for almost a year fixing a filling that was on one of my top molars.
Didn't hurt at first, I figured I can just keep the empty cavity clean.
Pain comes and goes, comes back. The last straw was when I was eating eggs with tabasco and the pain felt like an ice pick straight to the brain.

They started a root canal, but due to the "calcification" he couldn't clear out all the canals, and ended up extracting the whole molar.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 8 months ago I flossed off a crown. Naturally it occurred on a Friday evening. Fortunately it was before the virus shutdown started so it was an easy Monday morning fix, but I wouldn’t have wanted to have that happen two or three months ago!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is my cousin, he's been doing my teeth for 3 decades. I have no idea if they are back to normal operations now since I had my cleaning done before the world closed. They don't participate in any insurance as far as I know, never had dental insurance so I always just pay out of pocket.

https://www.docrondds.com/contact-us/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Flossing isn’t bad. Teeth generally deteriorate in the same places, there’s a reason there was a cavity in that spot to begin with, so likely decay undercut the filling them your floss caught on the undercut.

That’s one of the things your dentist should be looking at with xrays during your routine checkups.

quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
but I wouldn’t have wanted to have that happen two or three months ago!

That’s something the dentist likely would have classified as an emergency and taken anyway.

I cracked a crown and had some decay under it, I grind my teeth, and was having some pain. My dentist took the appointment and when they decided they had to do a root canal they scheduled that too despite beer flu.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Get a water flosser. They work really well and they're much less likely to pull out a filling or pull off a crown.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your trouble.

I once had an entire molar crumble while chewing a soft, warm and gooey chocolate chip cookie that was fresh from the oven.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 499 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried these little straight brushes on a plastic handle. Whole thing is about 2 inches long. They come in packages of ten or more at the drug store. Easier than flossing and about as good.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blaming the floss is akin to blaming Alabama’s field goal kicker for a loss to Vandy. Or akin to blaming a cop for your DUI when your blood alcohol was 2X the limit.

That said. I do hate flossing. But I also hate lying there (as with last week) as the hygienist picks away the hardened tartar.

As to an open cavity and the use of a toothpick to periodically empty the cavity, I can relate to that band-aid approach. I can also relate to the immense pain when biting a soft dinner roll with that tooth. And I can relate to the later root canal for that neglected molar. And lastly, I can relate to the eventual dental surgery to cut out the remnants of that dead molar that lacked the structural integrity for a lasting crown, due to my procrastination.

Take care of those teeth. Replacement options aren’t always attractive nor cheap.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'm not really blaming the floss.

Have an appointment tomorrow to get it taken care of.

The first dentist office I got on the phone asked if it hurt or was bleeding. I said no. I was then told it wasn't an emergency and they wouldn't see me. Roll Eyes

Skins Thanks for the name. If I was closer I would give them a call.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

posted Hide Post
We were just fulfilling our public service requirements by lecturing you on your teeth! Smile

I noted a lengthy, involved extraction in an above post. But, I had a second extraction years later that was performed by a dental student with pliers at a free downtown clinic on a Saturday morning (the pain had been intolerable for a few days and I couldn’t wait any longer).

The “kid” climbed up on the chair. Got a secure hold with those pliers and, seconds later, I was in a blessed state.

I don’t think your situation is that dire but there are options if needed.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Got my reminder card last week, appointment is tomorrow, been flossing all weekend. Smile

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Flossing is easy for me now,I only have seven teeth. Four on the left bottom and three on the right bottom. lol

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought you were in Montgomery or PG, oh well. Hope you get in soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I thought you were in Montgomery or PG, oh well. Hope you get in soon.

MOCO but getting across the bridge can be a PIA although, right now beltway traffic isn't too bad. Used to have my office in MOCO and work area in VA. Back then I would leave VA by 3 or stay late. I hated trying to cross the American Legion. PG side of the beltway was always less traffic if I was around that side.

posted Hide Post
Yesterday while flossing, I struggled to pull the thread back out of a gap between molars. Happens occasionally and usually resolved by paying more attention to the angle / direction by which I’m trying to exit that gap.

But, for a second, I feared I would yank out a nearby filling and then I’d have to return to this thread and repent for my earlier post! Smile

posted Hide Post
" only floss the ones you want to keep"

Was what one dentist told me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I loss all my teeth but 7 bottoms now I floss everyday.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post