SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spending many hundreds of dollars on household security/hardening
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spending many hundreds of dollars on household security/hardening Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
And waking up to find my 13 year old has left the back door unlocked and the alarm off as I slumbered in an empty house all day, with a worthless dog as my only security.

Mad

And somehow I’m the bad guy because I was upset about it. *scratches head*

Grrrrr.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
And waking up to find my 13 year old has left the back door unlocked and the alarm off as I slumbered in an empty house all day, with a worthless dog as my only security.

Mad

And somehow I’m the bad guy because I was upset about it. *scratches head*

Grrrrr.

I would be hot!

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife was the worst about this. I lost count of the number of times she left the garage door hanging open for hours, even after a spate of thefts from open garages in our neighborhood.

And there were a bunch of times that I'd come home to find the house empty but one or more doors (usually the back patio door) left unlocked.

She just gave zero shits about safety/security. Classic "but nothing bad has happened yet" head-in-the-sand thinking.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just discovered that situational awareness must include (your) teenagers!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash is a bit guilty also. She'll say she locked the doors when we're leaving, but every once in a while I find the sliding glass door unlocked.

There is a dog inside that would bark its lungs out if anyone came in, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont feel bad. In my 3 AM cruises through my residential neighborhoods I could find any number of attached garages with their doors standing wide open.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I put the MyQ on the garage, you can set alerts in case the door is open for x amount of time, or during certain periods.

Growing up we locked nothing, cars, doors, garage door open all the time.

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're very security conscious, but we both had careers in the prison system. I didn't
make a lot of friends among the population.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
One of the reasons I put the MyQ on the garage, you can set alerts in case the door is open for x amount of time, or during certain periods.

Growing up we locked nothing, cars, doors, garage door open all the time.

Good idea. I’ve got the garage connected to my alarm system but there isn’t an alert on it. Just historical record of its actions, the ability to check and see current status, and opening/closing it remotely.

Most break ins around here are front door kicks during the day. Next up is back door kicks/prys during the day, followed by forced entry through windows. I’ve seen one lock pick case, I’m sure there were more. Before everything was upgraded I honestly was a little nervous sleeping all day. Some stuff at work has me double checking right now...boy was I hot...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take some time and make it personal with your teen. It is not that hard to outthink an adolescent. What would happen if some of his stuff went missing. You can certainly stage an exhibition for him.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Take some time and make it personal with your teen. It is not that hard to outthink an adolescent. What would happen if some of his stuff went missing. You can certainly stage an exhibition for him.

We’re going to have a chat this evening if he gets home before I leave for work. I actually have not seen/talked to him yet since I found it yesterday since I worked last night and was gone before everyone got home. My wife just relayed my aggravation.

He’s a good kid, just pretty bad timing on that.

-JALLEN

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've got a steel security door on the front and back, and a dog that barks when a bird flies by so I'm in good shape.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Remove the door from his room, and if practical, remove the lock from his bathroom for a couple of weeks.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son tops them all . Leaves his shop unlocked with all sorts of tools and equipment inside . It's close to the road and you can't see it very well from his house . When I say something his reply is " I got insurance " . Frown

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My son tops them all . Leaves his shop unlocked with all sorts of tools and equipment inside ... When I say something his reply is " I got insurance " . Frown

Uh huh. Tell him to look up "insurance" and "reasonable care" sometime.

TL;DR: If he has some stuff go missing and there's no sign of forced entry, his insurance company may well deny the claim.

I had a buddy get bit by that, once. An ice dam had developed on his roof, which resulted in water leaking down inside the home and destroying the drywall in one corner of his living room. His insurance company covered it. It happened a second time. Insurance company denied the claim based upon the fact he could have known it would happen and failed to take reasonable care to prevent it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
When I say something his reply is " I got insurance " . Frown

What's his deductible? Does he have an inventory of everything in his shop - pictures- receipts- something to support a claim? He might be in for a rude awakening. (Resist the urge to say 'I told you so")

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son tops them all . Leaves his shop unlocked with all sorts of tools and equipment inside . It's close to the road and you can't see it very well from his house . When I say something his reply is " I got insurance

^^^^^^^
If things are stolen there need to signs of forced entry. Insurance balks at those clamis. Also inquire if he realizes the tools will be depreciated.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you never did any dumb things as a 13 year old, right?

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm sure you never did any dumb things as a 13 year old, right?

Nope. Except maybe running away from home.

I waited until I was 14 to catch a felony charge and get kicked out of school.

Perhaps he’s a little better kid than I was Big Grin

Except he left the damn door unlocked again today. Ugh.

-JALLEN