SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Buying a house is as much of a PITA as buying a used car.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a house is as much of a PITA as buying a used car. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

Going to look at another house for grandson this morning. 1980 vintage with recent updates. Looks pretty good on the realtor's site.

In town, which would be a bummer for me, but that's offset by a 2600 square foot, insulated, plumbed for heat garage! Garage appears to be quite a bit older than the house and was once a commercial operation.

Private well and septic, so those will be getting scrutinized. Live and learn...

Well, they lied. Again.

Listing says built 1980. Bull. Shit. 1940 would be a lot closer. Basing that on the full-dimension rough sawn joists in the basement, the trim style and doors and door hardware in the house itself and the overall layout.

Multiple issues with the basement, including the genius that tacked sheet metal over some of the joists and used the joist bays for cold air returns for the furnace.

That garage that was giving me such a chub would've been built around the same time, and hasn't seen a lick of maintenance since. Sills sitting right on the ground and rotting, 2x4 rafters (or at least rafter tails) on the roof, interior gives "ratty" a bad name.

Didn't take long to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to that one.

This is getting old...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Apparently, I'm a slow learner...

Found three more places that were interesting enough to look at.

1. Nope, taxes ridiculous.

2. Nope, neighbors too close.

3. "We don't have time to show it this week and it probably wouldn't qualify for a VA loan anyway". Really? Well fuck you very much. Bye.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Make sure the inspector documents evidence that the system backed up. I'm not a lawyer but I'm guessing you'll need to proved that the current owner knew of the problem.

<snip>

Make sure you have the legal right to exit the contract and can't be sued for specific performance. Consult an attorney!!

The decision to abort was made before the window of due diligence closed. No contract had been entered into.

I didn't do a good job on the initial note....
At least in this area, buyers are having to put down a non-refundable due diligence fee. At least in this area, it's my understanding you'd have to show bad faith on the part of the seller to recover those funds.

Hopefully your son received a full refund of any deposit or due diligence fee.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Not true. It is a much more PITA experience.

This x 1000!!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Check the health dept. Any time a tank is pumped here, pumper must submit a copy of the report to the health dept. It will usually indicate if the field lines appear to be functioning. If it had a bad report in the past, they should have it.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
BTW - No house yet. They are here living with us. Their stuff should be here this week sometime. Major re-arrangement of our lives, but we'll manage.

They're going to look at a couple of places tomorrow.

Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Be glad that you guys are not here up north. Houses cost (at least) twice as much, and real estate will make you experience indentured servitude until you are 93 years old.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post