SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Selfies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selfies Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Selfies are important for the dating sites and for impressing your friends on social media.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Never.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vicariously Tactical
Picture of Mike729
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I have a mirror in each bathroom, and one on the dresser and that's it

This. I look at myself every time I shave, that's quite enough.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: August 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, do not, wife does not either.
I look at a family pic and every time, I think, that would be a really good pic of a beautiful family if not for my ugly face in it. I really do not hate myself, but just do not like my own pic.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
The only selfies I've taken are of me and a fish if I've made a nice catch.
So, two , maybe three ever. Big Grin

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike729:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I have a mirror in each bathroom, and one on the dresser and that's it

This. I look at myself every time I shave, that's quite enough.

Yeah, the old military training makes me check to see if I am within regs (still), and then out the door. Inspection tool. LOL

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't take pictures. I can remember things for myself. The last pic I have of me, not on an id card, would be Junior year of high school. Haven't been in front of a camera in 15 years otherwise.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
So does snapchat count? They dont actually save the picture?

I think ive taken 3 in 2016-2017.

I can see why a person wants 1. But like 400 on the same beach, seems unnecvessary but who am I to judge.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I don't take pictures of myself unless I have to. I also don't let people take my picture unless they have to.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I don't like being in pictures.

However, in the case of other people taking pictures of me, or wanting me in pictures, I usually reluctantly agree.

I have loved seeing pictures of my parents and grandparents from when they were younger, and should I have kids and grandkids, hopefully they will have the same enjoyment from any pictures of me.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I've never taken a selfie and don't feel the least bit deprived.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Partial defender of the selfie here.

I was a pretty early adopter of consumer digital camera as a teenager, and consequently have many thousands upon thousands of pictures all through high school in the early 90's, college and law school through the 2000's, and my trips, travels, and daily life all along.

I will agree that **people** in the picture makes the picture more special. I look back at pictures frequently, and mostly flip past the ones without people in them. Looking back at pictures from 10 years ago, I know now that I honestly don't actually care what the ceiling of the Bellagio lobby looks like in Vegas. At the time, and in person, the Chihully glass was a thing to marvel at. But looking back, the bad picture that I took of my friends and I in front of the hotel room mirror was much more meaningful to me...instant nostalgia for the good times we had.

So these days, I take my photos to "tell a story." I try to take a few technically superior photos of the "when and where" to give my stories context. Composition, rule of thirds, leading lines, natural frames, try to get the exposure dead on, maybe even take a few photos to composite together as a high resolution panorama or high dynamic range photo, etc... But then I always make sure I take some pictures of the people I'm with. Set up the tripod of I have one, get a passerby to take pictures of us, take turns taking pictures of each other, and if I have to, take a selfie.

Yes, that means I'll take a selfie of myself, by myself, if I'm alone.

That doesn't mean that I set out just to take selfies, but on the other hand that also means that I just don't set out just to take postcard pictures either.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This post needs an official song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Only when the supply gets way low
Just me: $6.00
you and I : $12.00
each additional person $2.50

me in your favorite college logo shirt: $11.00 + s&H

Well Played, Sir, well played.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Once in awhile, especially if it's to get a picture with a friend or family member who I don't see very often.

As an addendum, I'm on social media as much as most of my generation, and occasionally taking a picture of oneself has a purpose - such as conveying the tone of a message or sending a pretty lady a smile from a vacation, to let her know you're thinking about her. Stuff like that.

I don't see it as a "sign of mental illness" or any such nonsense, unless taken to an extreme... I agree, THAT shit is annoying. If you ever see me with a "selfie stick," please take it from me and utilize it cane me back into sanity.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
It's probably for Facebook. Gotta post a pic so everyone can see how wonderful their life is.

Some people can't make it through the day without at least a half dozen picture posts on their perfect life, so says my wife.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took my first one Sunday night. I'm in Key West all this week.
Sunday was drinking from 11:30am-11:30pm and my GF wanted to know how I looked. Took a selfie and sent it to her. That'll probably be the only time.
I looked pretty bad. Hahahaha

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I don't take pictures of myself. I can't even stand the term used for it. There are a few pictures of me floating around here & there. These are mostly photos of me with bands or fish I'm proud of. All were taken by other people. I'm mostly low-profile incognito, by choice.

My wife has forced me into a few over time.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Had a girl at work show me something akin to what was described. I ask the fatal question "all I see is you, did you get anything of just the area you were in?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Being a photographer, I am always BEHIND the camera.

But there had been times, I wished I had taken just one of me with the model.

Smile

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post