SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Selfies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selfies Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
Why is it that older women have to put their mug in every picture? My wife’s 65 yo cousin came to visit. Took her to P’beach. Lovely scene, perfect weather, near sunset. Could take a few keepers, but NOoo. She walks down to the surf line and holds up the phone, slowly rotating. She was taking a 360 video of herself with the beach and surf as a background! Sheesh. When she flew back, I asked her to notice the bars at Pensacola airport that my son built. She sent me a selfie with a partial fuzzy of one of the bars in the background.

When we visited my wife’s sister I related this episode to her and asked what she thinks of this practice. Wrong question to ask. She whips out her iPhone 7 and flashes me with selfie after selfie she has taken on her trips abroad. Ask her why selfies; she explains that it makes the memory more intense. Can they not remember who took the picture?

I say this is vanity run amuck. I suppose they still see themselves in their deluded mind's eye; a cute teenager.

Question:
Do you take selfies?

Choices:
Yes, because I love my face.
Yes, because I can't remember where I was yesterday.
Yes, just because I can.
I would, but don't know how. Could you post instructions?
No. Vanity run amuck

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Around here, young to middle aged women seem to love the shit out of themselves.

I take lots of photos. Since I know what I look like, my pictures are to document my travels. I don't appear in any of them.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a sign of mental illness.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It is a VERY rare occurrence for me.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I don't take selfies, but I'll admit to being a bit of a picture whore.

I tend to photo-document a project at the least hint of an excuse and then post pictures of it all over the innerwebz to show what a clever guy I am.

Same sickness, different symptoms I suspect.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Zero in 2017 and a couple in 2016.

When I was in Italy in '15, we had a single Mom in our tour group who had a $300 selfie stick and took dozens and dozens per day. She would be the last one boarding the train, bus, etc. because she was taking a damn selfie. A few times we waited for the next one so she didn't get left behind. Mad Annoying to put it mildly.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There are more pictures of me on drivers licenses and military ID cards than of all other pictures of me combined.

I have a mirror in each bathroom, and one on the dresser and that's it.

Have never felt the need to take pics of myself or be included in them.

Spent most of my life anonymously. And serious as I can be; people here know more about me that anyone else in the world, and most of them combined.

And it took effort.

So, no selfies.

And I don't think I understand the "selfie" crowd.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I have a smartphone. I take a lot of pictures with it. Never one of myself. Just seems weird to me.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've done it a few times, but it was usually at the request of someone for me to send them a photo of me doing whatever interesting thing I happened to be doing at the time. Last one was of a young man and I at a Thunderbirds air show. Got the Thunderbirds flying overhead between us.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
It's a sign of mental illness.

Good to know.

I do take a fair number, for a variety of reasons. I live alone and have very limited social interaction outside of work nowadays. I have a few 'friends' still in CT or still deployed and we'll swap pics periodically.

Also living along/being single/etc, there are NO pictures of me that I have not taken myself. I've always found it interesting to look at pictures through the years. You see a lot over time that you might otherwise miss.

I look a picture of me when I was 19, just prior to my enlistment next a picture of me now, 8 years and A LOT of experience later. I have a few added scars, but physically haven't changed all that much, and yet you can see a complete difference.

Another reason is that growing up I always loved seeing pictures of my parents, my grandparents, even great-grandparents, when they were younger. My life the way it is, those pictures won't exist of me unless I take them myself. If I ever have kids, grandkids, etc, who knows if they'd have that same interest I do, but I'd like them to have that chance.

Like I said, I find it all interesting.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it count if I'm using myself to practice different studio lighting techniques? It's not so much due to vanity in my bare and more about mastering my photography equipment without bothering anybody else or the dogs lol.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Keep them to yourself, no one else wants to see them --

Study: people don't actually like looking at selfies

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Took my first selfie 2 weeks ago.

But it was in response to a text from an out of state friend who offered to fly in and help remove snow from the massive storm predicted to hit NJ a few days later.

As I was in Cabos, Mexico at the time, it seemed appropriate to send him a selfie displaying the view of the fairway and ocean beyond from my balcony.

Don't anticipate sending many more in my lifetime...

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
No, I don't take selfies.

It's certainly not just older women; I've seen every demographic doing it.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took one once for my mother, last year. My wife and I had to work together to figure out how to make the phone take one. After I wondered why I hadn't just had my wife take the damn picture.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Been using a smartphone for several years now and have not once taken a photo of myself. Never. I have taken a fair amount of photos with my Samsung S7 because it is an excellent little camera, hell I stopped using my scanner because the phone does a great job with most of my documents also. But not once have I extended my arm and stupidly smiled at my phone. Like sigmonkey, I really do not understand it at all.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Although I don't particularly want to photograph myself, I don't see what the big deal is with 'selfies'. Photographers have been photographing themselves since the beginning of photography. Even before that Rembrandt painted himself dozens of times as did Leonardo before him.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've seen myself in a mirror and know what i look like. People who know me have seen what I look like. So, no, I don't take selfies.

There's some psychological angle to it. I just don't need to partake of it. I have my own particulare brand of psychosis to deal with. i'm sure the OP does too, just not with regards to selfies.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
The only selfies I do are for the grandkids. They think I'm goofy looking. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only when the supply gets way low
Just me: $6.00
you and I : $12.00
each additional person $2.50

me in your favorite college logo shirt: $11.00 + s&H

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post