SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Your Connection is Not Private
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Connection is Not Private Login/Join 
posted
I am not very computer savvy (still trying to understand "cut and paste") but this message is driving me crazy. I used to be able to go on WiFi at McDonalds but now if I'm there, I get this message, no matter what site I try to reach. Today, I tried to get on the Trijicon site and get the same message on my Samsung tablet but I'm able to get on the site using my Samsung phone. Frustrating.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It sounds like their lawyers (McDonalds) had them put that in so that no customer would sue them when their data got jacked.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You should be using a VPN on public Wi-Fi anyway. If you insist on using public Wi-Fi at all, which you shouldn’t unless you really have to.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
You should be using a VPN on public Wi-Fi anyway. If you insist on using public Wi-Fi at all, which you shouldn’t unless you really have to.

-Rob

This happens in my living room using my cable router.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my new iPad throws up “Not Secure” every time I visit this website, no matter where I am or if I’m using a VPN or not.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Yeah, my new iPad throws up “Not Secure” every time I visit this website, no matter where I am or if I’m using a VPN or not.

Yeah, me too. I know that my WiFi here at home is secure, so it's not the reason. It's probably because this isn't an HTTPS address.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Maybe it's not about where you're connecting.

Some browsers freak out at websites not using HTTPS or having problems with their SSL certificates

^^^^ this ^^^^
It is an alarm for lack of HTTPS ~ not always a big deal if you know where you are going.
Happens a lot on local web (for configuration) interface devices where establishing a SSL cert is not yet done.

Posts: 22888 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The bad thing about it is that if I don't give a damn, I still cannot proceed.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There are three reasons a browser may throw this up:

• Destination site is not using HTTPS
  • Destination site is using HTTPS, but the certificate is expired
  • Destination is using HTTPS and the cert is current, but it's a self-signed cert, which means it cannot be validated

For all three cases: Often you can click on "proceed anyway" or "advanced," then "proceed anyway," and get to where you (think) you want to go.

I wrote "think," in parenthesis, above, because, lacking a valid, traceable HTTPS connection and certificate, you may not be connecting to where you think you are.

With sites like SIGforum, where there's no exchange of money or sensitive information, it's not such a big deal. If you ever get this kind of thing from a vendor site, your bank/CU, or what-have-you: DO NOT PROCEED. Ever.

When your mobile device issues such warnings it means it's an unsecured (open) WiFi connection that anybody may be snooping, or that the connection may be hijacked--taking you places that look right, but are not what they appear to be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use public WiFi with my iPhone all the time when I'm traveling and never have any problems, but then I don't go anywhere that would interest anyone hacking, just gun boards and news boards.

If I want to go into a sensitive site(almost never), I turn off WiFi and use data.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post