SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong).
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong). Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Double negatives:
  • I didn't steal nothing (I stole something)
  • I don't have nobody to mow my lawn. (I have somebody to mow my lawn)
  • This gem is not uncommon. (This gem is common)
  • I can't barely see where I am going in this fog. (I can see where I am going in this fog)
  • Ain't no sunshine when she's gone (there is sunshine when she is gone)

The character Anthony on Blue Bloods uses double negatives all the time and there are not infrequently jokes about it at his expense Wink

• The gem sentence is correctly used, however.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 12131:
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Double negatives:
  • I didn't steal nothing (I stole something)
  • I don't have nobody to mow my lawn. (I have somebody to mow my lawn)
  • This gem is not uncommon. (This gem is common)
  • I can't barely see where I am going in this fog. (I can see where I am going in this fog)
  • Ain't no sunshine when she's gone (there is sunshine when she is gone)

The character Anthony on Blue Bloods uses double negatives all the time and there are not infrequently jokes about it at his expense Wink

• The gem sentence is correctly used, however.
    It's correctly used by an intelligent gentlemen such as yourself, but I can assure you that there millions of dullards that use it incorrectly.

There are nearly 329.2 million people in the United States which means:
  • 164.6 million are of below average intelligence
  • even if generously estimating only 3% butcher the English language that's still nearly 9.9 million people

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of erj_pilot
    posted Hide Post
    For all intensive purposes (wrong) vs. for all intents and purposes. “I could care less” and “irregardless” are like fingernails on a chalk board for me...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by erj_pilot:

For all intensive purposes
    Are you sure that this is not about dolphins?

Intensive porpoises?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    My pet peeve is just about everyone believes we live in a Democracy.

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    “Bring” vs “take”

Yankees. Down here we tote things, in either direction!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Georgeair:
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    “Bring” vs “take”
    Yankees. Down here we tote things, in either direction!
    Schlep

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    Tenet: An underlying principle.

Tenant: Somebody who pays rent.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Three Generations
    of Service
    Picture of PHPaul
    posted Hide Post
    Read a report by the Chief of a middling-large fire department. I hope he was better at Fire Science than he was at English.

My favorite was "by enlarge" when he meant "by and large".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post

premise - premises

A premise is what forms the basis of a theory.

Premises is a lot, building, land, or combination thereof.

I have heard many LEOs say they are going to search the premise, and other misuses of the words. Premise is not the singular of premises.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    Using the word literally when you aren't being literal. I saw a judge on AGT say that her jaw literally hit the floor over a contestant's performance. Her jaw may have in fact dropped but I'm confident it didn't hit the floor.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    My former boss authored a paper on liquid petroleum measurement and emailed it to everyone.

He titled the preface as forward instead of foreword. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and politely replied via email (only to him and not reply to all) that Microsoft’s spell check changed foreword to forward. Nope! Illiterate son of a bitch did it intentionally and proceeded to argue it was correct.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Nice topic. I’d say one that bugs me is the improper use of “myself.” I see this a lot in reports and often hear it in conversation too.

“Myself and Officer Smith arrived...”

Should be, “Officer Smith and I.”

“Myself” is a reflexive verb. “I pinched myself.” But I hear a lot of younger cops say it as if it were replacing “I” or “me.”

“Flammable” has bugged me for a long time. “Inflammable” was (and arguably still is) grammatically correct. I suspect people assume the “in” means “not” as in “inability” (lacking ability) when actually it comes from “inflame.”

It seems many folks think “flammable” and “inflammable” are opposites now, and that “inflammable” now means that something won’t ignite. Oy!

I also heartily agree with @12131’s comment on “fitment.” It’s “fit!”

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Could you borrow me $20 until payday?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pyker:
    'Begging the question' when they mean 'raising the question'

One of my favourite pet language peeves.

Another is "hard road to hoe." Yeah, I should think so. Particularly if it's concrete or asphalt Smile. It's "hard row to hoe." As in a row in a field that being hoed to plant crops.

"I seen." I have an otherwise very smart friend that uses that, and I have so far been unsuccessful in convincing him it's incorrect syntax. "I seen that." No, you saw that. Or you have seen that. Or even you had seen that.

quote:
    Originally posted by RogB:
    Starting a thread with "So". Just drop it,it adds nothing to the substance of your post and no doubt is ungrammatical.

ITYM "starting a sentence?" It's a grammatical device. As such: It's perfectly valid. The problem is over-use, of which I'm guilty. So, I'll try to avoid that Smile (I also overuse commas.)

quote:
    Originally posted by terma-nator:
    "No problem" instead of "You're welcome" in response to "Thank you".

I rarely use "no problem," but I do occasionally respond "No charge!", just for the laugh.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sigcrazy7
    posted Hide Post
    Using the object “me” as a subject instead of “I.” “Me and my girlfriend went to the movies.”

The opposite is even worse.

“Would you like to go to the movie with my girlfriend and I?”

Are you trying to sound smart? If so, it ain’t working. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Pyker
    posted Hide Post
    'Legal council' = a lawfully constituted governing body or committee, alternatively, a meeting - a 'Council of War'

'Legal counsel' = an Attorney or lawyer, legal advice or advisor.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
    Could you borrow me $20 until payday?

Sure, I'll email you my shipping address. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ersatzknarf
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsmccull:
    Is it inflammable or flammable?

Remember the "Non-Inflammable" signs on gasoline tanker trailers?

How about folks who decline to use the subjunctive? Would that we were able to convince them otherwise.

One that really is annoying is using "seen" in place of "saw," as in "I seen that."

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Overuse of "myself" as stated earlier.
    Mute points
    Deteriate
    Supposably
    Ambidextrious
    Heckler and Kotch
    Counsole instead of console
    Ashphalt

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post