SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong).
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong). Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Singer @#$&* just dropped a new album.

Will you itch my back?

I am running an Aimpoint Micro T-2 on my AR.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"It's" versus "its." The first is a contraction for "it is" or "it has." The second is the possessive pronoun.

"Their" versus "there" versus "they're." Isn't English a funny language?

For those with an extremely mild passing interest, I wrote a screed about this in 1996, when the Internet was still new.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who says:

Stub Nose instead of Snub Nose ( when we talk about revolvers)

And in general conversation:
I hate it with a Flying passion instead of Flaming passion.

I no longer try to correct and just nod along. It’s easier. Confused

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Let's see if we can't ___"

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Where you at?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The phrase is "nip it in the bud", like cutting off a flower bud before it has a chance to bloom. It means to handle something before it gets too big or out of control.

It's not "nip it in the butt", like getting bitten in the ass.

(Although, if you know you have an issue and you don't nip it in the bud, it very well might come back to bite you in the ass.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Using the word literally when you aren't being literal. I saw a judge on AGT say that her jaw literally hit the floor over a contestant's performance. Her jaw may have in fact dropped but I'm confident it didn't hit the floor.

This ^^^ Mad

If you use literally in a sentence, and you substitute it w/ figuratively or actually, would the sentence would still make sense? If not, then you probably aren't using it properly.

I submit surreal. People started using surreal when they thought it made them sound smarter than using words such as: unreal, incredible, amazing, like-a-dream. Surreal pertains to dreams in the sense of hallucinatory, bizarre, and nonsensical, not dream-like in the sense of hopes, goals, and aspirations.

When you look at Salvador Dali paintings, they are considered consumate representations of Surrealism. Winning the championship game shouldn't feel like being on a bad LSD trip.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Discrete" vs "Discreet" The author of a novel I'm reading consistently misuses discrete (separate or distinct) when she clearly means discreet (unobtrusive or unnoticeable).

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyways.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Where you at?
That one really bothers me.

Everybody knows that it should be "Where y'at?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Where you stay?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Axe me a question. No it’s “ask” me a question.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I particularly dislike expressions that link the speaker to a "community" or "people group." Misappropriation of the device used to chop wood as a query is beyond comprehension. Why do this?

Some people say "I did it on accident" instead of "I did it by accident." I recommend "I did it accidentally."

The phrase that most often annoys me is one including "unparalleled." I believe this word stems from tne French "nonpareil" which means "without equal." I have no idea how something can be unparalleled. Unparalleled customer service? Unparalleled to what? But, reading online dictionaries I see that I am wrong in my interpretation. Still annoyed, but willing to change.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Day_late:
"Discrete" vs "Discreet"

That was the example I would write on the board (yes, with real chalk) during the first session of a report writing class at the Army intelligence school to illustrate why the students needed dictionaries for the course.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unparalleled customer service? Unparalleled to what?

I get your bitch, but your example is a tad weak. "Unparalleled" compared to every other customer service experience the speaker has ever had.

Hyperbole no doubt, but possible and logically correct.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
OMG, I've never seen this embarrassingly incorrect use of "in memoriam". Even worse, it's in the article's title. Roll Eyes

IN MEMORANDUM TO THE SIG P239 COMPACT CARRY GUN (VIDEOS)
https://www.guns.com/news/2019...act-carry-gun-videos

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Not a pet peeve, but my favorite to date.....

A certain Special Forces senior NCO wrote a lengthy, detailed operations order for a "gorilla warfare" training mission. And "gorilla" was used repeatedly through the OPORD.

No primates were harmed in the execution of said mission though. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"One years old"

It seems everyone says this.

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I misused the phrase "bated breath" by writing "baited breath" earlier in the week here on the forum, and someone called me on it. Not the first time I've written it the wrong way.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Not so much in meaning but in pronunciation .....

Supposably when it should be Supposedly.

I hear it a lot.

Also the tense of see.

My wife's sister never uses saw. She always says, "I seen.."

There are several other verbal and written annoyances I hear and see quite frequently in this locality. I'm not by any means a walking edition of Harbrace but JHC I had the same freakin' teachers these people did.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post