SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong).
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common expressions that are wrong (or we think are wrong). Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:

Where you at?
That one really bothers me.

Everybody knows that it should be "Where y'at?"

also sometimes said as

'where yall is'

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Supposedly smart people misusing the phrase "it begs the question" rather than using "it raises the question".

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Formally known as vs formerly...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Supposedly smart people misusing the phrase "it begs the question" rather than using "it raises the question".

JP

Page 1 (which 'raises the question', not 'begs the question' - did you read the whole thread before posting? Razz Big Grin )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

Formally known as vs formerly...
Formally known as “Sir Schmuck,” formerly known as “Putz.”

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Waste band” as opposed to “waist band”. Big Grin

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I've listened to a few waste bands.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
'Muzzle breaks' used (incorrectly) instead of (correctly) 'muzzle brakes'

'Sites' (which are physical places or web addresses), instead of 'sights' (which are what you use to hit a target or things/places you look at)

'Walla!' - which is a nonsense word, instead of 'Voila!' which is a word used to denote surprise or 'behold!'; Sometimes 'Viola!' - which is a bigger version of a violin.

'Per Say' which is again, nonsense, instead of correctly, 'Per se', which is latin for 'by itself' or, 'in itself'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pyker,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
i.e. when it should be e.g..

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
i.e. when it should be e.g..

Or vice versa. Those are two easy ones to get confused.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a co-worker who likes to tell people that "it's a mute point".

He does it both in person and in email.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My wife often asks if the hot water heater is out of hot water. She hates it when I reply that “We don’t have a hot water heater, but the cold water heater is a little behind.”

Have you ever been asked to unthaw the turkey the day before Thanksgiving dinner? I used to get asked to do that every year. She was surprised when the turkey remained in the freezer.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
"I'm going to lay down for awhile."

But that doesn't bother me one bit.

I've seen tons of online dating profiles from women who insist that the people they date know the difference between there/their/they're and your/you're, etc. If something like that bothers you that much, that's just the tip of the iceberg and I have no interest.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post