SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forum arguments - do they ever extend outside of the forum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum arguments - do they ever extend outside of the forum? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I had some son of a bitch a couple years ago here threaten me by saying that he was a big guy and I wouldn't have the balls to disagree with him to his face, because he picked up heavy things and put them back down a lot.

I tried to explain to him that not all people are scared of other people because they have big muscles, or at all. He would not believe it.

We didn't take it to email, but that's probably the only person since I've been here to be big enough of a dick to piss me off to the point that I remember it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Are we including the truly bat-shit crazy?

<cough>Cliff<cough>

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've gotten an email before from a regular and well-known contributor here who didn't appreciate my viewpoint on a particular topic and wanted me to know it in no uncertain terms. That's the only time, though.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
A few years ago, two members challenged each other to a duel w/ pistols and I do NOT mean the dueling tree target...

And, they never showed up on SF, again, right? Eek

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
A few years ago, two members challenged each other to a duel w/ pistols and I do NOT mean the dueling tree target...

And, they never showed up on SF, again, right? Eek
One of them has not been heard from. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
JHE and I have long battled for the affections of Salma Hayek, and he has been quite the sore loser ever since she chose me.

Now that Salma is old, I have transferred my affections to Scarlet Johansson. Scarlet is a delight.

(And Salma, while old, is still as hot as a $2.00 pistol.)

Damn! I wondered where Scarlet was going when she left at night!

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It hasn't happened to me. I've never had a disagreement so bad that it had to be "taken to e-mail."

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Well, I've emailed members over topics we discussed but that we didn't agree on, and they emailed me back. We were both amicable and agreed that we disagreed, but really I never heard another word after I sent that envelope with the biohazard anthrax powder in it to him. Weird.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I can barely remember to check on threads I start. Why would I ever take the energy to argue with someone?

Besides I have a family business, employees, and customers. I get enough arguing. Big Grin

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
JHE and I have long battled for the affections of Salma Hayek, and he has been quite the sore loser ever since she chose me.

I hate to break it to you two... but she's cheatin' on yall! Wink

Bro. I told you that in confidence.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I may get into a disagreement inside a thread but, seriously, I don't take it outside the thread. I don't remember the person I may have crossed words with. So it's quite possible that I may argue with them in one thread and in the next thread, I may be quoting them in agreement.

I had one guy emailed me because he didn't appreciate me letting him know his avatar size was huge. I didn't consider it an argument; I merely pointed it out to him as common courtesy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've done it twice. Glad that I did. I can honestly say that I made two friends that I likely wouldn't have made without discussing it offline.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I have had a few. And a few good discussions.

Some of the best have been with guys I generally agree with too.

Some of the best have been with our resident safe salesman, and on of our local republican leaders. Despite our disagreements we have had good conversation and ended up agreeing to disagree at worst.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
It's been a number of years but I did disagree with something someone said in a thread and they took it to email. From memory, I received 2 emails and had decided that if I received a 3rd I would send the exchange to Para. Unlike KevinCW's experience, the person that contacted me didn't want a discussion, just wanted to tell me I was wrong.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I had an argument with 92BlackLX about his ugly ass minivan wheels. It wasn't pretty. But then, neither are his minivan wheels.

At least he has beautiful eyes....

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
A couple of times over disagreements, but not real nastiness. It's funny how much more polite people are one-on-one than in forum posts.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Argument? No. I wouldn't expect everyone to be in total agreement in what I think or say. if that were the case, why even have a site to have these discussions.

On the other hand, I have received a few private emails. In some cases it was to relay information of the area as I live near the Academy and I'm familiar with the surround areas facilities.

In one case it was a note expressing thoughts on a life event I faced early this year. It was a welcome communications and simply further reinforced what great people I've met in the shooting community.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Argument? No. I wouldn't expect everyone to be in total agreement in what I think or say. if that were the case, why even have a site to have these discussions.

On the other hand, I have received a few private emails. In some cases it was to relay information of the area as I live near the Academy and I'm familiar with the surround areas facilities.

In one case it was a note expressing thoughts on a life event I faced early this year. It was a welcome communications and simply further reinforced what great people I've met in the shooting community.

Looking at the address of the Akita rescue, I realize I'm up that way every other week or so,

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have gotten some hate mail now and again. And some nice ones too. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post