SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forum arguments - do they ever extend outside of the forum?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum arguments - do they ever extend outside of the forum? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Saw a post recently where Para asked two members to stop their argument within a thread and suggested they take it to email if they wanted to continue.

Has anyone ever done that here? (or had it done to them?). Did you feel so passionate about making your point that you continue on via email, or does it become kinda "meh" when the "full stop" signal is given?

Because I don't want to extend anyone's arguments into this thread I'm not asking for details, just curious about what kind of topics or a general idea of why you thought it necessary to keep the conversation going.

Finally...was there any resolution? Did you agree to disagree?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I believe it was reported in a thread 3 years ago that 2 folks came to the same conclusion after a discussion , so yes.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
As stubborn as some people are it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't find arguments worth having here. This is a valuable source of information, and in all honesty, this group is MUCH more knowledgeable than I am. If someone disagrees with me, I try to politely listen because I might learn something. If a thread fails to convince me, I simply move along. There's an old saying among criminals (and others I'm sure) about shitting in your own nest, Well, I darn sure ain't dumping in Paras ! Big Grin

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I had an argument with 92BlackLX about his ugly ass minivan wheels. It wasn't pretty. But then, neither are his minivan wheels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The stock wheels look like shit, dont they?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I had an argument with 92BlackLX about his ugly ass minivan wheels. It wasn't pretty. But then, neither are his minivan wheels.
Cool

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not once since I'm always right.

Seriously no, and I'd likely just block future emails from them. There's way too many good people here to worry about the one or two assholes sprinkled in. The management eventually weeds them out anyways. The closest to an argument was probably with the ass mildot22 recently in pistol section. Made me want to bang my head into the wall.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I've yet to be invested enough in a forum discussion where I feel any need to try to be the 'winner'.

If the next guy is better than me, so what. On the net it's easy to have those 1/4" groups at 100 yards, and all the rest.

The adage of 'like water off a duck's back' comes to mind. Maybe I'm to mellow, low testosterone??

The only thing that really pissed me off, was the guy from TX that sold me a defective Browning rifle. That was a different forum, years ago. We took that 'offline'.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:...

Asshole Sprinkles?

...never start drinking before 1100 hours...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I am one of the parties you referenced in the OP and no it never extended to email.

I know that one of my flaws is to want to get the last word in. I try to make a conscious effort to not do that, but I'm a work in progress.

I know that even if I disagree with a member here about something, it is never important enough to ruin an invisible friendship.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, two members challenged each other to a duel w/ pistols and I do NOT mean the dueling tree target. I just can't remember if they did it in the thread or when it went to e-mail.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've continued a debate a couple of times via e-mail. In both cases it was to try and keep the thread from getting locked and, hopefully, reduce the vitriol.

In one case the other party and I exchanged a few lengthy and civil e-mails. While we still disagreed in the end, it was nice to be able to take the time and really think a while before responding without someone calling you out because you didn't answer their post (and five others) fast enough for them. And the two of us both came away with some food for thought, and something that I would like to discuss with a recommended demographic.

The other occasion I tried this course of action, the two jackwagons kept on being jackwagons and neither ever responded to my offline communication.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow, just read the thread I assume you are talking about. Unbelievable.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
A few years ago, two members challenged each other to a duel w/ pistols and I do NOT mean the dueling tree target. I just can't remember if they did it in the thread or when it went to e-mail.

Seriously?

I've jokingly challenged members to a duel a couple times over the years, but always as a joke during lighthearted discussions. Never during an actual argument or disagreement.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
JHE and I have long battled for the affections of Salma Hayek, and he has been quite the sore loser ever since she chose me.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
^ About what we would expect from a couple of lawyers. Razz

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Saying 'take it to email' is simply a polite way of saying 'be quiet'. No one takes it to email.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
JHE and I have long battled for the affections of Salma Hayek, and he has been quite the sore loser ever since she chose me.

I hate to break it to you two... but she's cheatin' on yall! Wink

To the OP;
Unfortunately yes. One jack-wad here has a small habit of emailing people to attempt to continue his argument...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:

Now that Salma is old, I have transferred my affections to Scarlet Johansson. Scarlet is a delight.

(And Salma, while old, is still as hot as a $2.00 pistol.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post