SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can People not dial a phone?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can People not dial a phone? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Somewhat similar story.

A few days ago I get a call from a unknown number I always answer my cell just in case since it doesn't cost me anything, this girl on the other end is screaming at me to stop calling her number.

I tell her that I never called her and that I'm at work so it's impossible for me to have called her.

After a few more rings that I'm still calling her that she is going to call the Police on me if I don't stop harassing her, I noticed the problem.

My cell number is 1 digit off from her number with the same area code. I'm guessing someone was trying to dial a number similar to both or our numbers but couldn't remember it correctly.

The only way to get her to shut up and off my back, I told her since it wasn't me that was calling her over and over maybe she should answer her dam phone like a normal person and see who is really calling her and why. I can never get the concept of screening your calls. When ever it's a recording, scam, or solicitation I just hang up on their ass. If it's the wrong number I tell the person they have the wrong number and go about my day.

Posts: 965 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
I can never get the concept of screening your calls. When ever it's a recording, scam, or solicitation I just hang up on their ass. If it's the wrong number I tell the person they have the wrong number and go about my day.

I don't understand why people do this stupidity either. I run a business, so I answer every number that calls and sure enough I get 2 telemarketing robo calls a day on my cell, but so be it. But a lot of times I get calls from old customers who changed their number, or someone who lost their cell phone and need to reach me. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
There used to be a bail bondsman whose number was one digit off from ours. We would get a lot of calls from the county jail.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't understand why people do this stupidity either. I run a business, so I answer every number that calls and sure enough I get 2 telemarketing robo calls a day on my cell, but so be it. But a lot of times I get calls from old customers who changed their number, or someone who lost their cell phone and need to reach me. etc.

Same here with my business. I get nuisance calls at least 10 times a day. I answer them for same reason. Another problem is people cant say there number on voice mail correctly. Have to listen ten times for number. Then I use caller id and call. Old people are frequent callers, they are just having memory issues.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My wife is one of those making these wrong number calls. In her defense she is blind.

An epic call was to a guy in a bar, thinking it was me. She asked what sort of cheese to take to a church function. He was pretty much dumbfounded, and my wife got more upset by the minute. At some point she realized her mistake, but continued the quiry. He played along, to the point he called later asking what she decided.

She has also gotten into a few wrong cars idling at the curb. She makes lots of new friends.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with misdialed numbers, but recycled numbers can be a pain.

One place we lived, our landline number was apparently recycled from a business that had just moved - they got a new #, we got their old one. We had that # for *10 years*, and at the end of that time we were STILL getting calls from people trying to sell shit to that business.

*ring*
Hello.
May I speak to the person in charge of <blah> purchasing decisions?
Pay for better leads, that company moved years ago.

My current cell # used to belong to, apparently, a Nigerian immigrant, actively practicing Christian, college coed. Ask me how I know all those things. I still get calls and texts for her. She must be, um, *seriously* charming. I've had that number a looooong time.

My wife was once issued a work cell phone, that she was *required* to answer, where the phone # used to belong to a deadbeat with a lot of bad debts. A LOT of bad debts. That one was awesome.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post