SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pet Stores....... that have puppies.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pet Stores....... that have puppies. Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I haven't been in a pet store in years that had puppies until yesterday. I was in a mall and just ran through the pet store and they had quite a few puppies. It just made me sad because puppies shouldn't by in glass cases that are 2 or 3 feet square. It wasn't just little breed they had Great Danes and GSD's as well. It just really made me sad and want to take them home. I donate to a couple of local animal shelters that have many dogs that would be great for adoption. Maybe I am just getting soft in my old age.

This guy brightens my day.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The dogs in pet stores are too often from puppy mills. The females are bred litter after litter. There is no genetic concerns, no exams and no interest in anything but money. The emotions you experienced are what drives many sales in pet stores. Sadly, people end up with a dog that’s not suited for them. They haven’t researched the breed, don’t train, and the dogends up in a shelter.

A number of times you’ll run into adoptions inside a pet store. My daughter used to work as an Animal Control Officer (ACO) her beef was that the pet rescue operations would come to the shelter and pick out the most adoptable dogs. They would then place them through their organization scoring a good deal on money and fame.

Yes, lots of good dogs come out of shelters and rescues. My buddy is snoring at my feet.

Getting a dog is at least a 15 year commitment. You need to know the breed and what will be involved. With ethical breeders, you can meet the puppies parents, see the ancestory, visit the and know that medical, denetic tests, eye exams shots, worming and x-rays have been done.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Getting a dog is at least a 15 year commitment.

I wish they, on average, stayed with us that long.

Our pit bull is 9 years old and has slowed down significantly. The 3 year old, that's a different story... Big Grin

I'm a fan of rescues. Personally, I'll never buy from a pet store because there are too many rescues out there that deserve a good home. That and I told the wife we are not going the puppy route again.

Posts: 13050 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have a English Setter mix that’s 16 and was a rescue.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I find it very upsetting to see stores that sell dogs. My store have never done it.

We no longer sell any animals. When we bought the store 5 years ago they sold small mammals, birds, reptiles and tropical fish. I was never comfortable with that and I’m releaved that we are out of that business.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I find it very upsetting to see stores that sell dogs. My store has never done it.

We no longer sell any animals. When we bought the store 5 years ago they sold small mammals, birds, reptiles and tropical fish. I was never comfortable with that and I’m releaved that we are out of that business.

posted Hide Post
Jeff, do you work with any local rescues that can come to your shop for adoptions? Kind of like a show and tell? It may work out for all. Your shop and the rescue may get free advertising and an awareness of the many rescues and the available pets that need to be adopted.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
The dogs in pet stores are too often from puppy mills. The females are bred litter after litter. There is no genetic concerns, no exams and no interest in anything but money. The emotions you experienced are what drives many sales in pet stores. Sadly, people end up with a dog that’s not suited for them. They haven’t researched the breed, don’t train, and the dogends up in a shelter.

A number of times you’ll run into adoptions inside a pet store. My daughter used to work as an Animal Control Officer (ACO) her beef was that the pet rescue operations would come to the shelter and pick out the most adoptable dogs. They would then place them through their organization scoring a good deal on money and fame.

Yes, lots of good dogs come out of shelters and rescues. My buddy is snoring at my feet.

Getting a dog is at least a 15 year commitment. You need to know the breed and what will be involved. With ethical breeders, you can meet the puppies parents, see the ancestory, visit the and know that medical, denetic tests, eye exams shots, worming and x-rays have been done.

100%. Breaks my heart too. But we must consider that most people are stupid. They can only see a few hours or days ahead of themselves. Dogs suffer greatly due to this fact in our country.

This is why I bought my GSD in Germany as breeders are hardcore about their lines and take it seriously. She passed and I have a Mal now that I rescued. Someone bought a Mal, couldn’t deal with it, drove it out to the country and kicked her out. She is missing half a canine tooth so God only knows what she went through as those teeth are strong as F. Had to be metal or concrete to take it out. A man found her on a country road, down to the bone, hips and ribs showing, severe malnutrition. Local K9 officer found out, swooped her up, put some meat on her bones and I got her from the officer. God help me if I found the original owner. I’d be in prison.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I won’t buy an animal, or anything else for that matter, from a pet store that sells them.
They really should know better.
As suggested by someone already, a rescue event at a store could bring a lot of business and goodwill.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Jeff, do you work with any local rescues that can come to your shop for adoptions? Kind of like a show and tell? It may work out for all. Your shop and the rescue may get free advertising and an awareness of the many rescues and the available pets that need to be adopted.

We do it once a month with 3 different organizations.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Going on a lifetime of "rescues" (maybe 3 dozen) and a couple "non-rescues" along the way, I believe that those rescued "know", and these animals will provide the greatest return of love to those who dare step up.

If anyone ever wants a critter, there are so many that need a home one should never need to seek and to pay for a "new mill" animal.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Icabod:
God help me if I found the original owner. I’d be in prison.

Our breeder is a good friend. She was told my buddy was being abused, drove out and took him back. Her sales contract on abuse is quite specific.
My guy spent months hiding under our end table. He had to be carried outside to do his business and suffered panic attacks. I still remember the first time he jumped up on the couch next to me.
It’s been 11 years and she still won’t tell me who the abuser was. I still want to know.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I hear you. My sister is big on the "don't shop, adopt" philosophy. Drove from Milwaukee to the middle of Illinois to adopt a rescue. Your boy looks just like a Shepherd/Husky mix my mom picked up (along with his sister) from a litter on a farm. Both wonderful dogs!

Edmond, keep the faith. My now gone pit bull lived to be just shy of 15 years old. He also slowed a bit as he aged, but had his 65 pound lap dog, beg for pizza crust (the only thing he begged for) personality until he passed on. Miss the guy.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by petr:

We do it once a month with 3 different organizations.

Awesome!

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
I hear you. My sister is big on the "don't shop, adopt" philosophy.

We have the same philosophy. We have 3 right now, our GSD is from a local shelter, we have a poodle that came from a rescue in Kansas and a Pit Bull that was rescued by my wife's sister in the Indianapolis area.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife (and I) like the sighthound breeds. She usually has one "bought" one, typically a harder to find breed like an Ibizan Hound, and two rescues. Our current line up is an Irish Wolfhound, a GSD rescue (who is about 50% GSD), and a Greyhound rescue (who is about 50% Greyhound). Our current Greyhound was born totally deaf, and it is the amazing the adaptations she has made to us. She always knows where either of us are, and is the most loving of the bunch.

We have had quite a few Greyhound rescues over the years. The comments are right on about the rescues. They make wonderful pets and return the love you have shown by giving them a home.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
One of our sons and his wife both work full time for the local Humane Society. We got our beagle pup from them last year. They occasionally set up adoption days in the parking lot of local pet stores, and that seems to work out well.

For the past year I have been president of my Rotary Club. We organized puppy food and cat litter drives for the Humane Society. Our son told me that they get lots of dog food donated, but no one every donates puppy food. Our club donated over 4,000 lbs of puppy food and cat litter in the last 12 months.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Going on a lifetime of "rescues" (maybe 3 dozen) and a couple "non-rescues" along the way, I believe that those rescued "know", and these animals will provide the greatest return of love to those who dare step up.

If anyone ever wants a critter, there are so many that need a home one should never need to seek and to pay for a "new mill" animal.

If it’s a pet, sure, agree. But if it’s going to be a working dog, protection, SAR, Schutzhund, whatever, you want to know the lineage and get it at 8 weeks. All depends on the role. I’ve re-trained a few dozen so they could be placed. Some dogs, will never get over the abuse they suffered, whether that be verbal, physical, emotional, or pure abandonment. Others got attacked by another animal when they were puppies under the care of some nitwit and they’ll remain dog aggressive until they pass no matter how much training you give them. It’s not a cut and dry thing.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Some dogs, will never get over the abuse they suffered, whether that be verbal, physical, emotional, or pure abandonment.

Our part Greyhound rescue, born totally deaf, suffered an unimaginable type of abuse. Imagine from the beginning in a litter, not hearing those around you, getting stepped on because you couldn't hear them coming, getting stepped on or woken from sleep because you could not hear. She had nightmares. Would wake from sleep with a start then try to orient herself from scratch. When she came to us, she was fearful and very submissive. She wouldn't even come in the house. We took it slowly. At first she slept outside. We left the door open. After about two weeks, she was sleeping on the threshold, half in and half out. Later she moved to the bedroom floor to be nearer to us. And finally made it to sleeping on the bed. She is returning all that 100-fold. Now she is the pack alpha, among her at 72 lbs, and two 130 lb big boys.

As to working and special purpose dogs, I agree there. My wife was a K9 officer and became a certified trainer for NAPWDA, in obedience and cadaver detection. Her partner was a Czech GSD, purchased, and not even full blooded GSD, but working dogs need special characteristics, such as a good "play drive" to be able to be trained well. Some departments take rescues, but they are well vetted before being chosen.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:...It’s not a cut and dry thing.

I am talking about the "production/mill" animals.

Proper/reputable breeding is another issue.

Most of those animals are either already "spoken for" by individuals, or entire litters bred for "working positions" to agencies that obtain them to train for service in military, law enforcement and similar positions.

And I understand many animals the are "brought in" to the rescue programs are "scarred for life", and a great many of them are well vetted and go through some rigorous trials before they are considered "up for adoption".

It's not perfect, and it's not for everybody.

Take my post in the context of the OP, and spirit it was clearly intended.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post