SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Birders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birders Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
First off, Birders are just plain weird people. Got a new lens for the camera today, Nikon 200-500 zoom. New toy, got to go play, where? Took a quick run down to Potter's Marsh, it's a salt water marsh just south of Anchorage and apparently a mecca for bird watchers. I know nothing about bird watching, I know nothing about birds other than Eagles are really big cool as shit and eat small animals, and I know nothing bout the bird watching hobby. I just wanted to get out and play with my new lens.

A couple of guys were walking around with camera gear that makes my Nikon D7100 look like an elementary school science fair project pin hole camera. One had a lens that I swear to God was about the diameter of a basketball, wrapped in camo tape and he had this weird home made ghillie suit thing hanging from his hat all the way down his back.

Then there was the neurotic lady screaming at me as I pulled up in the truck that I scared off some long billed split tailed black tipped Kite. Um no, we're on the side of Seward Highway with traffic going by at 70mph, there's a shooting range on the other side of the road, I don't think I could be singled out as the one who defecated in the marsh scaring off a bird. She didn't get the reference when I asked if it was an African or European long billed split tailed black tipped Kite.

Birders, they're weird and they have no sense of humor.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Seney NWR is nearby. Birding is big there. So are the skeeters! Its the only place I know where you can see bird watchers who have have spent more money on gear than long range rifle shooters do.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Its the only place I know where you can see bird watchers who have have spent more money on gear than long range rifle shooters do.

Just say the word "Nikon" and your bank account evaporates!!! Cameras and Lenses are definitely more expensive than Precision Long Range Shooting.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are odd, overly-compulsive people involved in every activity.
I’m not a birder myself, but on average I cannot imagine they’re that much different from other hunters, except that they can seek their prey year round—and, of course, they don’t have to kill anything to take satisfaction from their successes.

(That’s not, BTW, a dig at hunters. I was once one myself and I have no objections to hunting, but they can be just as compulsive and spend lots and lots of money on their activities as well.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
True story -

Many years ago we were at a park with my Grandpa. A rather attractive redhead walked by; as she passed he said...”there goes a red-headed, double-breasted, mattress thrasher”.

Miss him so much, LOL.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
True story -

Many years ago we were at a park with my Grandpa. A rather attractive redhead walked by; as she passed he said...”there goes a red-headed, double-breasted, mattress thrasher”.

Miss him so much, LOL.

When I hang out in a park with a large camera lens watching them I call it a "hobby", but the cops had the audacity to call it "stalking". What's the deal?!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nothing bout the bird watching hobby

I can maybe help a little with that. I am not an official birder, but I know some and have learned the etiquette.

Imagine if someone wanted to continuously pop bubble gum right behind your daughter while she's aiming her shots in competition. Don't be that guy. Wink

So, the first thing is to understand why those people have the $10,000 lenses, $3,000 binos and the spotter scopes that cost more than some motorcycles: birds are easily spooked, and jumpy as crap even when they aren't spooked.

The binos lets them find the birds they are looking for so they can stop immediately, well out of range of bird-spooking. Then they bring out the better glass - scopes and the camera setups with big, super-fast lenses and fast backs. They need great lenses to get enough light to focus fast and shoot ultra fast exposures at distance, often in poor light. They need cameras that can focus quickly and have controls that can be set up for birds in flight, low light operations, etc.

Quiet is essential - birds (being tasty to their predators, and almost defenseless) fly away at almost any disturbance. Traffic noise is a constant - birds near roads have accepted that. New stimulus can easily scare off birds, even if it's a type of noise otherwise prevalent.

In a group, the folks best able to detect birds at distance take point, and when they stop, everyone else does also. Essentially, the best binos (and sometimes the best ears) determine where the group stops. If you don't have something comparable, the group's stopping where their glass works but your's doesn't means they may be oohing and aahing over stuff that looks in your gear to be tiny fuzzy dots.

Factor in that you are in an area where most folks would have to travel thousands of miles to get to, and aren't going to be there long, and so they may be less patient with someone who doesn't know the etiquette. Doesn't excuse anyone for screaming at you....driving in, how could you be expected to have known they had something going?

Anyway, if you like birds and have good equipment, it is a good hobby and one that helps refine camera expertise for other types of photography as well. In groups, follow along quietly, and ask questions during the walking period, and stop when they stop. Most birders will be happy to share info and offer to let you look through their scopes when they are set up. They will be most impressed to talk with a local and they will have questions for you as well.

Or go solo. On your own, walk as quietly as you can and stop immediately when you see/hear something. A decent set of binos will help you find out where the action is.

Hope this helps. You're in a great location to have a bunch of fun with your camera!

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My brother, a birder, just returned to NC after a week-plus birding trip to Alaska which included a jaunt above the Arctic circle. Spent big bucks and he says he took more than a 1,000 photos.
I’m content with the dove in my backyard.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
quote:
Its the only place I know where you can see bird watchers who have have spent more money on gear than long range rifle shooters do.

Just say the word "Nikon" and your bank account evaporates!!! Cameras and Lenses are definitely more expensive than Precision Long Range Shooting.

Andrew

Wife does some photography. If I buy a gun, she'll usually shrug it off and say something along the lines of you spend about as much on guns as I do on photography. Makes me wonder sometimes what exactly the definition of "about as much" is?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M o M !
2000Z IS LUMPING AGAIN !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
She didn't get the reference when I asked if it was an African or European long billed split tailed black tipped Kite.

Birders, they're weird and they have no sense of humor.

well she is just wacko to not get that reference,

next time you go talk in an English accent and don't forget to pull out the dead parrot,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I’ve encountered this too and I “am” a bird watcher. I don’t do photography though. Just my binos. I enjoy seeing new to me species and marking it in my book. And I just generally enjoy seeing and listening to them.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
he says he took more than a 1,000 photos.

Big Grin
I have traveled over 200 miles to go watch birds for a couple of days w/ binos and a scope .

I don't get taking the time to photo them , when there are three dozen books that have pics of them .

Unless you can frame/ sell them at the farmers market on the weekends, I guess

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
quote:

Andrew

As a Nikon user for many many years I must say that I resemble this remark. However in all honesty if you compare a Swarovsky high power rifle scope and a Nikon camera lens you will find that more often than not the Nikon camera lens is actually less expensive. In addition I am certain there are some high end rifles that actually cost more than Nikon's most expensive camera body. BTW the same would not be true if you look at Hasselblad, they have camera bodies that sell for well over 50K.

Personally I have to agree with Sigfreund's statement that there are overly compulsive people involved in every activity. Because I do have a touch of OCD and a LOT of Nikon gear acquired when I was still shooting Film.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post