SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Diabetes and Life Insurance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diabetes and Life Insurance Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
Sucks for me. I have been diabetic (Type 2) for about 10 years now. Even with oral medication and long acting insulin, my A1C is still not controlled. I like to eat. Too lazy to exercise. I should know better. I work in the health care field. So much about practice what you preach. (I do diabetic patient teaching sometimes).

Anyway, I tried to get a supplemental Term Life insurance with StateFarm. I have multiple car insurance, home insurance and other products with them. I currently have a 25year Term Life Insurance with Primerica. It will lapse in 2023. Also have 5x Annual Salary Group Life Insurance through my employer. Wanting to make sure my family is taken cared of on case something bad happen to me, I have decided to add a supplemental Term Life Insurance (TERM to lower the monthly premium).

Did my phone interview last week. Someone came to our house and took some blood samples. Got a call today from our StateFarm agent. She said StateFarm undwer writer refused to insure me because of my A1C level. I'm not sure what their threshold is, as far as when to refuse coverage. Said they may re-consider after a year, provided I lower my A1C. I should be getting a letter in the mail for the specific reason/s why I was declined, together with the lab result.

This is certainly a wake up call for me.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who controls your A1C? Get off your ass or be quiet. Insurance is an indicator. You're a ticking time bomb. I speak as diabetic who buried two friends last weekend.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Who controls your A1C? Get off your ass or be quiet. Insurance is an indicator. You're a ticking time bomb. I speak as diabetic who buried two friends last weekend.

This, if you want to be sure your family is taken care of. Get off of your lazy behind and take care of yourself!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch your diet. NO bread, NO rice, NO potatoes and NO sugar until you know how much you can eat.

You may have to adjust your Meds to keep your sugar blood level from tanking.

My GF is Diabetic 2 and off all Meds. Carefully watches her diet, exercises and sticks the finger each morning for a reading.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If it's not under control you will not get life insurance, period. If it's under control the best you can get is a Standard rating. They should have got a Attending Physician's Statement from your doctor for the underwriter. This will tell the underwriter if you are following the doctors instructions, you historical A1C levels, as well as other things like weight.

It's pretty hard to fool the insurance company. It's not likely only the A1C level of that one specific test that made you uninsurable, it's likely also info from your APS.

If I were you I would contact your orginal isnurure and find out if your policy is convertible. If it is then you can convert it to Whole life, Variable Universal Life, or Fixed Universal Life. They are expensive with Whole being the most and Fix UL being the lowest. Fix UL can be designed to work like term insurance or to last your whole life depending on how you fund it.

Some term is convertible for the entire term of the policy, some is only convertible for the first five or ten years.

Rarely did I ever have anyone come back and qualify at a later date. It will take serious effort on your part and require you Diabetes to be completely under control for at least 1 year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You may be in denial but the actuary at the insurance company is not.
Maybe he knows something.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been Type II for around 9 yrs. now. Was on daily meds for many of those yrs. Started going to a gym every day and watching what I eat. I lost 40 lbs. and have been off meds for about 2 yrs. now. My A1C was 5.7 when check last Dec. Just gotta put your mind to it. Losing weight and exercising has made me feel better too.

John

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Sucks for me. I have been diabetic (Type 2) for about 10 years now. Even with oral medication and long acting insulin, my A1C is still not controlled. I like to eat. Too lazy to exercise. I should know better. I work in the health care field. So much about practice what you preach. (I do diabetic patient teaching sometimes).

Anyway, I tried to get a supplemental Term Life insurance with StateFarm. I have multiple car insurance, home insurance and other products with them. I currently have a 25year Term Life Insurance with Primerica. It will lapse in 2023. Also have 5x Annual Salary Group Life Insurance through my employer. Wanting to make sure my family is taken cared of on case something bad happen to me, I have decided to add a supplemental Term Life Insurance (TERM to lower the monthly premium).

Did my phone interview last week. Someone came to our house and took some blood samples. Got a call today from our StateFarm agent. She said StateFarm undwer writer refused to insure me because of my A1C level. I'm not sure what their threshold is, as far as when to refuse coverage. Said they may re-consider after a year, provided I lower my A1C. I should be getting a letter in the mail for the specific reason/s why I was declined, together with the lab result.

This is certainly a wake up call for me.
State Farm is the hardest company to satisfy and do business with. Keep looking for others that do life insurance and little else.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Agreed on lowering your A1C (diet and exercise does amazeballs wonders for type II's), but how old are you? Why do you want/need life insurance?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I admit that it is my own fault why my A1C is out of control. I know it, and I will fix it. I made an appointment with my primary doctor to get full
Physical exam before I start exercise program. Will also visit a nearby gym to see what exercise program I can start. Change in diet is also going to be included. I'm only 47. I reviewed my current Term Policy. Only 6 years remaining. Then it expires. I will check with my agent if it can be converted to a While Life policy. I know that the premium will be a lot higher, now that I am older and not in the best of health condition, because of my diabetes.

I just want to get supplemental life in case something happen to me. I'm looking at our monthly expenses (including mortgage) and we are doing OK. But the thought of losing me or my wife, it will be financially difficult for our son and the surviving spouse. I want to make sure that the mortgage balance will be paid off, should one of us pass on. My wife was approved by StateFarm BTW.

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In 6 years your current policy terminates completely, or will it simply renew but at a higher premium?

Usually a 25-year term policy will be level premium for the initial term (25 years in this case), then after becomes ART (Annual Renewable Term) with the premium increasing (unfortunately sharply, but at least you're covered) every year that you maintain it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like to eat.

I'm a Type I, adult onset. When you decide you like living better than eating, your A1C will drop... if not, you will instead.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
I like to eat.

I'm a Type I, adult onset. When you decide you like living better than eating, your A1C will drop... if not, you will instead.

Yup, when they cut off your rotting feet, have kidney failure, or get to enjoy diabetic neuropathy pain ...

Seriously. I excersise because I don't want any of it ... and when I do my blood work looks great.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I admit that it is my own fault why my A1C is out of control. I know it, and I will fix it. I made an appointment with my primary doctor to get full
Physical exam before I start exercise program. Will also visit a nearby gym to see what exercise program I can start. Change in diet is also going to be included. I'm only 47. I reviewed my current Term Policy. Only 6 years remaining. Then it expires. I will check with my agent if it can be converted to a While Life policy. I know that the premium will be a lot higher, now that I am older and not in the best of health condition, because of my diabetes.

I just want to get supplemental life in case something happen to me. I'm looking at our monthly expenses (including mortgage) and we are doing OK. But the thought of losing me or my wife, it will be financially difficult for our son and the surviving spouse. I want to make sure that the mortgage balance will be paid off, should one of us pass on. My wife was approved by StateFarm BTW.

If it is convertible the entire term, then there is no underwriting.

If you are only 47, you should need 15-20 years additional coverage. The purpose of life insurance is income replacement for your wife, not to make you kids life easier. Not to sound harsh but that's just not a good enough reason to buy insurance.

I am no longer in the business, but I can tell you what your life is worth, sounds callous, but you are worth the income stream you will provide through work.

Example with made up numbers:

Let's say you are earning $75k per year for the next 15 years. That is another 1.125M you will earn before retirement. What if you died tomorrow? How much would you need invested to provide that same income stream?

Assuming it's invested at 4% interest that would be 833,879.06 in insurance. That number can be further reduced if you don't need all of your income, which she won't. She will no longer need a second car, your lunches, your dry cleaning, your hobbies. She will likely sell the house and get a smaller house or a condo because it's easier upkeep.

Another general number thrown around a lot is 7-10x your income.

FYI Whole life is super expensive, you will likely be paying over 10x what you pay now, but you will protect your insurability forever. Another cheaper option is fixed universal life which can be set up to end at a certain age.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I was kind of crusty. A friend and I were diagnosed the same week 20 years ago. I worked my ass off on my weight and blood sugar control. Him, not so much. I watch he die one piece at a time, we buried him Sat. I'm pretty fucking pissed he thought onion rings and chess pie was more important than his friends and family.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try these guys:

https://www.selectquote.com/li...SbxtMCFYW4wAodpNcHLQ

Call some local independent agents. You've got a problem, but there're are agents that will try to help.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post